Pointing out faults with cars to owners - bathtub tom
Near me is a headmistress. Her car is, shall we say, not cared for.

It's obvious from walking past that one of her front tyres is under inflated, the outer edge is smoother than my pate and there's a couple of visible bulges. It's been like this for a couple of weeks. The car is moved every day, presumably on her drive to school.

She is known to not accept criticism!!!

What would you do?

Please headline a thread properly. Next time I spot a thread with a title that give no hint what it is about I will delete the entire thread. Headlines like "How do you tell someone........." demand that the thread be opened in order to find out what it is about. That is not acceptable and creates unnecessary work for the moderators. HJ

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:45

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Martin Devon
What would you do?

Tell her Straight.

MD

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:40

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - frazerjp
If she can't accept criticism that's own problem, wait til she has an accident when a blowout occurs.....

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - MikeTorque
Politely inform them that the tyres are unsafe and need replacing asap. Provide them with the phone number and web site address of a mobile tyre fitter, for example e-tyres, who can fix the tyres whilst they are at school. Also you could offer to arrange for the work to be done on behalf of the headmistress thus saving them the trouble, tyres paid for by the headmistress of course.

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:46

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Bilboman
Maybe an anonymous letter through the letter box. Or let the air out in the dead of night. Either that or wait till a neighbour, friend or loved one (human or feline) is squashed by an out of control banger careering across the road.
Normally letting the air out would fall within criminal damage as possibly damaging sidewalls or contributing to a blowout, but I think in this case it's not applicable, hence entirely justified.
The travelling mechanic who would inevitably be called out to reinflate the tyres will then point out that they are not in a fit state and will either make a handy sale of four new ones or refuse to reinflate them and drive off.
Win-win situation!

(Edited to remove any incitement to criminal damage.)

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:48

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Pugugly
Defences for Criminal Damage are Lawful Authority or Reasonable Excuse

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:46

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Fullchat
Tell her that she must write out 100 times. "I must not drive round with bald tyres"

Seriously, why not tell her she might appreciate it done in the right manner.

"Excuse me but I noticed that one of your tyres is looking a bit near the mark and I was wondering if you would like me to put your spare on for you?"

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - L'escargot
"Excuse me but I noticed that one of your tyres is looking a bit near
the mark and I was wondering if you would like me to put your spare
on for you?"

I agree with that in principle but she might not understand the expression "near the mark" so perhaps an exact description might be better.

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Alby Back
Just tell her. She could kill herself or someone else.

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/05/2009 at 09:40

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - perro
Ask her what she is doing after work, then - when you have her attention you could point out that incorrect inflation adversely affects fuel consumption.
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Hamsafar
I wouldn't do anything. I once parked next to a Renault 5 that had canvass showing, I wrote on a post-it note, "Your tyres disgust me" and left it under the wiper, but these days, I wouldn't bother, there are too many busy bodies about picking on soft targets for minor transgressions instead of the real nuisances.
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - MVP
Unfortunately, anyone stupid/lazy/careless enough to have a car in this state are most likely to be too stupid/lazy/careless to do anything about it, even if you tell them.

It's a shame the police aren't allowed to job they were originally employed to do, rather than acting as revenue collectors

MVP
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Rattle
Err have you seen the fines and penelty points given for faulty tyres? If the police were to see this car head teacher will get lots of nice points and a big fine. If her tyres are so worn what state are her brakes, steering and suspension in?

It reallly annoys me, I always check my tyres every week and if they are showing splitting I replace them. I also replace them when tread gets down to 2.5-3mm. My fronts are just over 3mm at the moment so I will replace them before the next MOT. (I only do 2000 miles a year).
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Lud
People who trundle about in cars with underinflated, balding front tyres are not all that likely to kill someone. Much more likely to be killed themselves by some impatient type for mimsing.

I simply don't see what the problem is here. Most head teachers are whippersnappers anyway and you can just talk down to them. Threaten the carphounds with detention if they don't pay attention.
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - bhoy wonder
The job I do involves dealing with these individuals and they can me a complete and utter nightmare. They think because they tell kids what to. Then it is alright to speak to everyone else like that. Over the years I have on numerous occasions had to ask to speak to them outside there classrooms and remind them that I am an adult and not to speak to me like a child. I could go on but I won?t.
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - bell boy
you cant tell a teacher nowt
trust me on this one

Yes you can bb. Unless of course they are very very thick, but only about a third of them were when I were a nipper. Perhaps up to half these days?
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - henry k

>>
If a response is decided perhaps a letter to each of the board of governors suggesting that the situation is not the best example of living by law.

Edited by henry k on 15/05/2009 at 15:14

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Paul G1pdc
TEACHERS...
I married one,,,the easiest way to pull there legs is to mention holidays...
or say "yes miss" when they ask you do to something....
are you ofsted....
my wifes now a full time mum, but she always said that when ofsted where coming round a lot of the poor teachers used to have set lessons that where well practiced to cover themselves...hmmm
pointing out damage,,I was once cycling back from work (lived 3 miles from work and in traffic was easier to use the cyclepaths)
I went past a car and said he only had 1 working brake light,,,and got a right string of verbal...ho hum....
did point out to my sister last year about her tax being 1 month out of date, and she thanked me for that, and got it re-newed later that day...saw a Discovery yesterday one of the old ones with 4 indicators on the rear, (2 each side) you know what I mean 1 in in the bodywork the other in the bumper...well with all that lot you'd think he'd have more that 1 working brake light....hahah...and the spare he had slung on the back looked more like an inner tube...(bet he takes that off for the MOT)
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Number_Cruncher
>>(bet he takes that off for the MOT)

Why? It can't cause an MOT fail.

Pointing out faults with cars to owners - njgleeds
If a spare is fitted, it is subject to testing in the same manner as fitted road wheels, however not having a spare is not grounds for a test failure.
Regards, Neil
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - bell boy
mot man can advise that spare is bald
he cant make it a reason for an mot failure though
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - TheOilBurner
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/D...9

"Spare tyres are not inspected."
I wish someone would stop my wife commenting on mine then...
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - njgleeds
I stand corrected...
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - 1400ted
trust me on this one

Swmbo was a teacher when we got wed....still talks to me like I was a naughty schoolboy now and again !

Mind you, I do behave like one most of the time.

Ted
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - captain chaos
Swmbo was a teacher when we got wed....still talks to me like I was a
naughty schoolboy now and again !

There are more than a few MPs who pay a lot of money for that malarkey.
Probably claim it on expenses though... ;-)
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - 1400ted
CC...unfortunately, an avenue of pleasure closed off to me, I just get the ' verbals ' now !

Ted
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - captain chaos
... Must try harder... :-)
Or, See Me...
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - FocusDriver
Oh just tell her that she's being very irresponsible and has let herself down. Give her 500 lines before she has the chance to issue them.

A few years back in my early 20s, the guy at National Tyres give me a right ticking off for having shamefully bald tyres. He extracted £350+ from me to boot. I might even have apologised too.
Pointing out faults with cars to owners - Dave_TD
It's a shame the police aren't allowed to job they were originally employed to do, rather than acting as revenue collectors

Likewise traffic wardens.

I parked my truck in a narrow one-way side street today (in a loading bay on the right) and needed to reverse about 10 feet (back towards the T-junction at the start of the street) before moving off, to give myself adequate space to miss all the parked cars on both sides when driving forwards. I collared a passing warden and asked if he could watch me back up, as I didn't want to stick my back end out into the main road traffic. His response was, "I can't do that, I might be held liable if you hit something."

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 16/05/2009 at 01:37