Unusual tyre damage. - Old Navy
Many years ago I had a flat tyre, and could see a small wood splinter in the tyre, at the repairer the splinter could not be pulled from the tyre. On removing the tyre it became apparent that the splinter was in fact the point of an intact cricket stump which was completly inside the tyre. I had not felt an impact, and have no idea how it got there.
Yes the tyre was a write off!

Any other unusual ones?

Edited by Old Navy on 13/05/2009 at 15:45

Unusual tyre damage. - Alby Back
howzat ?
Unusual tyre damage. - bathtub tom
Stump, or bail?

I can't imagine a whole stump going through a car tyre, or was it something bigger than a car tyre?

Edited by bathtub tom on 13/05/2009 at 15:59

It was a stump, it went right round the inside of the tyre, which was fitted to an HA Vauxhall Viva, An almost new Goodyear G800 tyre if I remember correctly. Cant remember the tyre size, but small by todays standards.
Unusual tyre damage. - bell boy
155x12
(reinforced)
Thanks! :-)
Unusual tyre damage. - bathtub tom
So, presumably, it went in blunt end first?

ps. Thank you for saying 'an HA' and not haitch!
So presumably it went in blunt end first?
ps. Thank you for saying 'an HA' and not haitch!

Yes, blunt end first, (sounds painful, and was on the wallet) I must have been a young insensitive tearaway not to have felt the impact.
Unusual tyre damage. - Lud
The only time I ever had a high-speed blowout - o/s rear on my VW 411, doing about 80 - there was a short period of vibration followed by the bang. The car tracked impeccably and I put it on the grass verge to change the wheel.

The tyre, a well-worn Michelin X, looked as if a large object had forced its way out through the tread, leaving a big hole with all the steel belt wires hanging out. It doesn't seem likely that had actually happened though. My guess is the belt gave way causing a bulge in the tread which quickly led to the blowout.