non-dealer servicing - maz64
With the local Mitsubishi dealer wanting £302 for SWMBO's Colt's 2nd year service, we are considering taking it to an indie. Will a non-Mitsu garage know what needs doing?

The dealer said this service was a 'big one' and IIRC mentioned that the brake fluid would be changed amongst other things - no idea whether that's normal or not. BTW more distant dealer wanted £322.

Car is actually a CZ2 1.3 3dr, but that isn't listed in the Make/Model dropdown.
non-dealer servicing - daveyjp
If there's an owners site find out what others are paying then haggle. Brake fluid change at 2 years appears to be normal on most vehicles now.

Your servicing booklet will outline what work is required. Probably not much more than oil, filter, pollen filter, brake fluid (which is an extra) and a good look round to look for other problems. Extra labour charges will be the reason for the higher cost.

non-dealer servicing - Bill Payer
We have a CZ1 in the family and that just had this service. They do quite a lot (for a service these days) - it's oil plus oil, air & pollen filters, plugs, brake fluid change (no other car I currently or have ever owned has included brake fluid change as an integral part of a service quote) and on our car with rear drum brakes I was gobsmacked that they removed the drums and cleaned and lubed the pivot points and reset the handbrake (SEAT charged me £100 for that alone on our Ibiza a few mths ago after they failed its MOT).

I didn't even try the supplying dealer where the 1st year service (oil change) was done, as they quoted £150 for that then tried to charge me £200. I used Gallaghers "Chester" branch and they started off at about £280 and eventually agreed £220. I'd rather servicing was free and I'm very miffed that Mitsubishi wouldn't give us the £150/3yr servicing deal, but for the work involved then £220 is actually pretty good. They also sold me a full set of carpet mats for a remarkable £20. Gallaghers also stamped the body warranty which the other dealer refused to do at 1st service unless we paid another half an hour. Grrr.

There was a service advisory on our car to do with front suspension top mounts - it does clang a bit from the OS front when going over sharp ridges. It's only slightly better since the work was done so may not be entirely connected.

As for getting it done elsehwere then that shouldn't be a problem - certainly our village garage owner said he could service it and would use genuine Mitsubishi parts. Was a bit vague about price though.

Edited by Bill Payer on 12/05/2009 at 21:55

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I'll have a look at the service book and try ringing round some local garages, although I'm tempted to go with the Mitsu dealer (Reading) if they're going to do a good job for not too much extra.
non-dealer servicing - carl_a
I bought the parts and went to a back street garage, cost about £150 all in. However I'd not bother with a pollen filter, these things should last 2-3 years.

I've just had my 3rd service and that was just under £100 all in, nothing wrong with it at all. I'll be keeping the colt another year or two and hopefully won't need to buy anything for it. 3 years so far and 32k miles not missed a beat except a headlamp bulb. (oh it does rattle quite a lot too)
However I'd not bother with a pollen filter these things should last 2-3 years.

The air con doesn't seem to be working at 100% and we were hoping changing the pollen filter might fix it. It has been 2 years (1 year with us), although it's only done 14k.
However I'd not bother with a pollen filter these things should last 2-3 years.

The trouble is that it's part of every service schedule. I can only think this is because Mitsubishi are thinking of their off-roaders where annual change might be appropriate. If you don;t change it then it gives Mitsubishi the chance (however ridiculous it might be) that the car hasn't been serviced in accordance with their schedule.
I've just had my 3rd service and that was just under £100 all in

Considering that it's nothing more than oil & filter change (if you don't change the pollen filter) then really even £100 is on the high side.
non-dealer servicing - carl_a
Considering that it's nothing more than oil & filter change (if you don't change the
pollen filter) then really even £100 is on the high side.

No it's not just an oil and filter change, they should spend time looking over the car. My guy takes all the wheels off, lubricates everything, checks every inch of the tires for damage, tops up the fluids, battery and gives it a good going over, spends about 3 hours on it. I also use only mitsubishi parts and a good brand for the oil.

The Pollen filter is an optional part on the CZ1 (old one not the face lift), says that on the specs when purchased, therefore you don't need it, the smart for four uses the same part should anyone be interested and it can be bought online much cheaper.

My guy takes all the wheels off...

Dealers most certainly do not remove the wheels on basic services. A local garage *might* do that, but I woudl think it unlikely as it's a good few minutes to remove and refit all the wheels, and the car needs to be on a wheel-free lift.
The Pollen filter is an optional part on the CZ1

If the car has a/c (ours does) then it's in the service schedule that it must be changed.
non-dealer servicing - MVP
You've spent thousands of pounds on a new car, why are you so concerned with paying a few extra quid to the main dealer ?

He will ensure and manufacturer recalls/updates are done, it will ensure your warantee is solid, and it will increase the value of the car if you ever come to sell it.

MVP

non-dealer servicing - perro
I've just had my Nissan Almera 1.8SE auto. serviced at the main dealer.
The Nissan service schedule is designated P1, P2 or *the big one* P3.
My car was due for a P3 but when I took it in, the service manager suggested that being I only cover about 6000m a year, they would carry out what the called a level 3 service instead.
It included oil + all the filters + 1 ltr of brake fluid so they changed that as well.
Total bill came to £203 and that included a rear wiper blade.
My car is 4 years old now, but I went to the main dealer for the ole stamp + original parts + they know their own cars!
Any feedback regarding MItsubishi Reading's servicing would be much appreciated. (If you think it might break the 'naming and shaming' rules, please can you send to my email address, which is in my profile.)

I checked the service book and yes, there is what appears to be quite a long list of items (35) to be covered.

Also, there are 2 slightly different lists - one for a 9k miles service interval and one for 12.5k, and the check box which should indicate which our car is on isn't ticked. Would the shorter one be for the diesel (ours is petrol), or is it the other way round?

Cheers
F
Tried ringing up local indie 'MOT City' who have very good feedback on a garages site, and they quoted me £220. Went back to Mitsubishi saying without mentioning any names that I thought £302 was a bit steep (as I've said before I'm rubbish at haggling), and initially the chap said the £302 was a mistake - it should be more! But after a bit of keyboard tapping he said the lowest he could do it for was £260.

So it's booked in for Tuesday, and I'm very pleased - just hope they do a good job.
non-dealer servicing - Janeywaney
Hi just read this thread, my aircon in my CZ1 5 dr isn't working, went to kwik fit for a re gas but that didn't help, they said there is no leak in it and it took the gas but made no difference (so no charge) fiancé has established that the motor is working and the pipes are getting cold, just no cold air in the car. So am wondering if it's pollen filter. Does anyone know where abouts the pollen filter is situated ? Don't want to have to take it to a garage if it's something I can change easily.
non-dealer servicing - Dynamic Dave
Does anyone know where abouts the pollen filter is situated ?

This any help?

www.puravent.co.uk/filters/display_filter.php?id=1...4

non-dealer servicing - Janeywaney
Thank you :-)
non-dealer servicing - mrnikko
We have a five year old Shogun Sport on Mitsubishi extended warranty scheme, personally it has always gone to our local Mitsubishi dealer 54 miles away and the service costs have always been reasonable.I take the view that the manufacturer dealer should know the car best our dealer has been selling Mitsubishis for a long time so know what they are doing. Recently one of our brake calipers gave up releasing properly and because the car was extended warrenty and had full manufacturers history it was relaced free of charge.