Misfuelled car-would you buy? - lucklesspedestrian
I've now managed to obtain the service record from the previous owner (fleet operator) of the 55 plate Focus 1.6 TDCi which I've put a deposit on with a nearby trader who must have picked it up at auction.

Turns out it was misfuelled (petrol instead of diesel) on 2 occassions at 9K and 11K. On both occassions the tank was drained and filters replaced.

The car's now done 43K and is running very sweetly.

Would this knowledge be enough for anyone here to ask for their deposit back and walk away from the car?

Cheers

Steve
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Statistical outlier
Walk away. No, run away.

People may argue otherwise, but there are loads of Focii around that haven't been misfuelled. Why take a massive gamble? Apart from anything else, the injection system will no longer be covered by the warranty, with potential for 4-figure bills.

[EDIT] okay, so it's a 55 plate and will be out of warranty anyway, but still, why would you?? Unless of course you can use this to knock the ~£1,500 off the price?

Edited by Gordon M on 11/05/2009 at 18:31

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - jc2
How do you know that these "loads of Focii" haven't been mis-fuelled as well?

Edited by jc2 on 11/05/2009 at 18:42

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Pugugly
Friend runs a Jaguar X Type 2.0 diesel which was bought very cheaply after it was mis-fuelled. It was fix and runs normally - he's had it three years and covers a fair mileage.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/05/2009 at 18:45

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Hamsafar
It wouldn't bother me as long as it ran OK and had covered the mileage you state since the incidents. If it happened under warranty, the the dealer will usually carry out the work required to maintain the warranty.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - gordonbennet
Blimey, just shows what a full service history, warts and all shows up.

This is a tricky one, if the errors were noted immediately and the car pushed to one side whilst draining carried out then i'd have no problem...

But there's the rub, who knows, it might have been driven till it died and in that case i wouldn't want the thing unless so cheap a full fuel system replacement could be bought on the savings eg £3K.

I've already made my own mind up NOT to buy a used CR diesel at all unless i personally know the previous users.

Other folk seem perfectly happy to take the risk...you pays your money...
How do you know that these "loads of Focii" haven't been mis-fuelled as well?

I wouldn't, that's why I wouldn't buy a used diesel unless I personally knew the previous owner.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - DP
The key is whether it was started. As mentioned by gb, if it was noted immediately and not started, no damage will have been done.

The key is whether it was started. As mentioned by gb if it was noted
immediately and not started no damage will have been done.

Therin lies the problem, I have no way of knowing. Surely though after 3 years and 31K miles, any problems would have manifested themselves by now?

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 11/05/2009 at 20:06

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - ifithelps
Well, no-one's trying to hide anything from you, are they?

Any car of this age is bound to have had the odd adventure.

You like the car, and you've paid a deposit, so I'd be inclined to buy it.

Don't know how you left things with the dealer in terms of going back on your word, but you could try and get a few hundred knocked off in light of the interesting history.

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Rattle
They are starting to that is why the previous owner got rid?
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - mikeyb
They are starting to that is why the previous owner got rid?

Its a fleet car so I would assume thats its just been "de fleeted" at 3 years old
Okay, let's try this from another angle....If the worst did happen and a fuel system problem did manifest itself at this stage in the game or later on, what would the likely problem be?
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Pugugly
Volumes of postings on Technical about this - have a look in there.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - perro
To err is Human - but twice within 2000m!!! Be careful luckless, it could be a wrong'n
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - ForumNeedsModerating
But why? Would you buy 2nd climbing rope, a dropped crash helmet because they were cheap(ish) & 'looked okay' ? There's no telling what you're buying into - you get the car home & think 'hmmm... I wonder if I can rely on that car..' - too late then.
My point of view anyway.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - nick
It'll always be in the back of your mind nagging you. The slightest change in the performance of the car will have you wondering if this is it. Walk away if you can unless perhaps it is silly cheap.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - mikeyb
Part of me says walk away, but then, at least you know the history of this car which you may not with any other that has been missfuelled.

Perhaps you should chance it with the dealer and see what you can get in the way of very robust warranty covering the fuel system, and some "goodwill"
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - the swiss tony
walk away..... petrol destroys diesel high pressure pumps, the only safe fix, if the key was turned is the replacement of ALL the fuel system - as it was misfueled twice Id be worried on 2 counts...
1/ that the key HAD been turned -driver careless enough to misfuel twice - careless enough to not realise till too late
2/ drive that careless? was the car looked after well between services, or was it run low of oil, thrashed from cold, etc etc etc........
>>>There's no telling what you're buying into - you get the car home & think 'hmmm... I wonder if I can rely on that car..' - too late then. <<<>

Only too true - ignorance is bliss but ... luckless ped does know!
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Martin Devon
Walk away for the reasons previously stated and cars are only going to get cheaper.

MD
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - MikeTorque
That's a good servicing history with that level of detail in it. They'll be many a diesel car out there that's drank some petrol but there is no record of it.

Back to the plot. The service record shows the tank was emptied & filter replaced, what you need to ascertain is was the engine started with petrol & diesel in the tank and was there any other repair or item replaced around that time. If the engine wasn't started then it's not a problem and ok to purchase. However, if it was started then how far was the car run before the driver realised what they had done and did the car behave oddly thus alerting the driver. Also does the warranty that the car comes with cover the fuel system etc.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - oilrag
If he`s done it twice...

I assume these were big petrol fill ups where outside help HAD to be brought in. But as the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior - it might have had the odd litre or two of petrol in on other occasions too.

If you could get away with it, to keep your job and avoid the absolute labeling as a triple numpty - you would surely just top up with diesel and press on saying nothing. After all, no detriment to the driver in doing this as any subsequent pump failure or smell of petrol in the tank would be hidden by the previous, declared, double misfuelings.

Edited by oilrag on 12/05/2009 at 07:54

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - L'escargot
lucklesspedestrian,

Why did you pay a deposit before you'd seen all the car's documentation? That was asking for trouble.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/05/2009 at 08:03

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - MVP
Focus's are not in short supply, so why do you want to risk this one?

Walk away

MVP
Interesting development.

The trader is now offerring to replace the fuel pump.

Would this basically solve my problem?

Steve
That's one part of your problem certainly, along with the injectors.

It's also an admission that your worries are entirely grounded in fact. Run away!
>>> The trader is now offerring to replace the fuel pump.
Would this basically solve my problem? <<<

Ever thought of becoming a comedian?
SQ

no, why?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/05/2009 at 11:19

no, why? <<<

Well friend, it seems (to me) that the concensus of opinion is *not* to buy.
Obviously the final decision rests with you but ... The Focus is the Uk's most popular mid-range family car so I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere.

Good Luck!
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - ForumNeedsModerating
The trader is now offerring to replace the fuel pump. Would this basically solve my problem?

Not really solving your problem - more solving the dealers' problem. If it's conceded already that a new fuel pump might be needed - what else later on? Also, by accepting a new fuel pump together with the disclosures already, you may be compromising your SoGA/warranty rights later.

It's interesting when the purchase psychology gets reveresed in this way. You're looking for reasons to buy, despite misgivings. Imagine if you'd seen a list of cars, all in your target range - maybe a few hundred quid difference in price spread. In that list, would you pick out the one with a misfuelling history - just on the 'benefit' of slightly cheaper price, or chance that no longlasting damage had been done? Probably not I'd say. To do so would be to risk £1000's to save £100's.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - DP
In fairness, I suspect if the car was started, it would have needed a lot more than a tank drain and flush. A friend did this to his brand new E90 320d last year, and it managed half a mile before spluttering to a halt. The bill came to a few pence short of £5,000. New high pressure pump, four new injectors, new fuel lines and seals, plus the required calibration and set up.
A drain and flush wouldn't suffice in this case, and certainly wouldn't have provided another 30,000 miles worth of service. If it had happened last week, that's one thing.

Edited by DP on 12/05/2009 at 11:04

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - GroovyMucker
It's "focuses" or "foci", not "focii".

Just saying.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - ifithelps
...It's "focuses" or "foci", not "focii"....

Much as I despair at the over use of capital letters, here and elsewhere, 'Focus' in this context is a trade name, so 'Focuses'.

Hope that focuses everybody's mind.

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - BobbyG
DP, I thought the last I remember on this subject was that there was a whole load of scaremongering going on with the whole refuelling thing?

Was it not Auto Express or Which? or someone similar who did research and concluded that some dealers would replace everything except the ashtray if they could get away with it, and others agreed that it just needed a flush?

I could be wrong but in the example you quote, did they start with a flush first of all to see if it would work or was it just carte blanche repair , probably on insurance?
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Happy Blue!
Any second hand CRD carried the risk of previous unreported misfuelling. The fact that the misfuelling is known about is a good thing. At least you know what you are dealing with.

It is also common knowledge that misfuelled cars will very quickly die (like the BMW above) within a mile or so, so the fact that it has run for 31,000 miles thereafter implies that the car did not suffer the immediate catastrophic failure. It would have failed much earlier than that.

I would not bother with changing the fuel pump. If it was going to fail, it would have done so by now. Rather I would do one of two things. The obvious one is to walk away, espcially if there are similarly specced cars out there at a reasonable price. The second option is to agree to buy the car, but for the agreed price less the retail cost of fitting a new fuel pump. That way you have some comfort.

Well at least you wouldn`t need to worry about whether it`s been misfueled OP. You know it has, at least twice!

For goodness sake, get your deposit back - otherwise you will likely be thinking about it for the rest of your ownership.

regards
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - bathtub tom
My seconhand TDDI failed after I'd had it three years at 30K miles. It certainly hadn't been misfuelled during my ownership - £1300!

How much is a new TDCI pump? Strange the seller is prepared to bear the cost!
Thanks for all the patient replies trying with varying degrees of restraint to knock some sense into my dense cranium.

I walked away!

Steve
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - massey
Dealer should put it back tru the auction again
if it was sold to him without this mis-fueling story?

More than likely that's where it will end up

Edited by massey on 12/05/2009 at 19:12

Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Sprice
If that Avensis for £6995 is still available why not reconsider?
If that Avensis for £6995 is still available why not reconsider?

...yes, but how do I know it's not been misfuelled (arrgghhh!!!)

In all honesty we liked how the Focus felt and drove so much that we really can't see past a 1.6 (115) petrol which seems like a really sweet well regarded engine with decent enough economy....just have to find a good un now!

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 12/05/2009 at 20:08

to knock some sense into my dense cranium.
I walked away!

Im glad you walked away, just a pity someone else will buy it....

Thing is, it MAY have been a good un..... BUT why did they offer to spend a small fortune on replacing the pump, if there was nothing wrong with it?
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Lud
why did they offer to spend a small fortune on replacing the pump,

It wouldn't have cost them the full retail price, and they wanted to shift the car.
Misfuelled car-would you buy? - Lud
DPF, DMF and CR: three acronymic reasons for never buying a modern diesel secondhand.

Even then, you don't know what the baboons have done to the clutch just putting it on the transporter.

Much safer to slip someone a few thousand euros and snatch it off the end of the production line in person.

Probably easiest on a Friday.

:o}
It wouldn't have cost them the full retail price and they wanted to shift the car

Lud, Im in the trade.... I know none of the places Ive ever worked at, would spend money needlessly.....
...in fact some would sell the car with a known (expensive) problem, then get the work done under the used car warranty, when it let the customer down.

The margins are not good enough to throw money away, when you know another customer will be along later - hopefully not asking for a full history like the OP did!
"Even then, you don't know what the baboons have done to the clutch just putting it on the transporter."

GB would likely respond to that in person, but i understand he`s just tucking into a banana.. ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 12/05/2009 at 21:08