Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - redviper
Hi All

I have been looking at buying, a Vauxhall Vectra C (1.8 ?Design? 06) and Part Ex my current Astra G (1.6 8v ?52).

While im not saying that im defiinitly going to buy it I would absoloutly love one and am seriously considering purchasing it from our Local Indie Car Sales Garage.

I have been offered £1.5k for the Astra and this Vectra would be £5.5K, its on a 06 plate and has done < 20k miles

I have not had the car out for a drive yet, and will be arranging to do so this Tuesday, the car is in immaculate condition ? I have read the CBC and I just have some concerns, and would be very grateful for opinions.

ASFAIK this will be the 1st car I?ve owned that operates on the ?CAN-BUS? system while I think I get what it is, it likely to give trouble, and what?s the reason for using this system as apposed to the traditional way of operating electrics

I have never had to take my Astra to get its fault codes read, would the Vectra, with it being a lot more complicated going to throw error codes every ten min, or are they generally reliable

I have been reading about parking brakes releasing, is this a common problem that Im likely to experience, as I don?t want to shell out a lot of money to have my car roll into someone?s house or something.

I have been through this forum and found a few topics on where the Dashboards on Vectra?s cut out when starting in cold weather, but these seems to be on older Vectra?s has this problem been contained to the older ones.

What are servicing costs likely to be, is the car to complicated for its own good ? or would it be worth sticking with the Astra, that is relatively easy to work on?

Thanks in Advance this Vectra is lovely and my heart, and my head are battling out with each other over this car.
Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - bimmer-driver
Leave it parked in gear an you'll be fine. I *think* the highway code recommends it anyway.
Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - midlifecrisis
The Vectra is around £500 overpriced in my opinion. Plenty of cheaper cars (with sat nav) on AutoTrader.

I'd sell the Astra privately and they negotiate. Wit no p/x you'd be in a much better position.
Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - Marc
I own a 53 plate Vectra C 2.0T. Owned it for five years/73k now.

"ASFAIK this will be the 1st car I?ve owned that operates on the ?CAN-BUS? system while I think I get what it is, it likely to give trouble"

I've not heard of problems with it. My car, being earlier, has 'half canbus' I believe.

"I have been reading about parking brakes releasing, is this a common problem that Im likely to experience, as I don?t want to shell out a lot of money to have my car roll into someone?s house or something."

This is an old problem now and should have been rectified by a recall. I guess you could check with the main dealer who has serviced he car as to whether the recall has been carried out.

"I have been through this forum and found a few topics on where the Dashboards on Vectra?s cut out when starting in cold weather, but these seems to be on older Vectra?s has this problem been contained to the older ones."

Never heard of this one so am guessing it affects the Vectra B.

"What are servicing costs likely to be, is the car to complicated for its own good"

Costs are reasonable - between £180 and £300 depending on whether a minor or major service. Vauxhall parts tend to very reasonably priced in my experience. I don't think the car is any more complicated than the competition.

Edited by Marc on 10/05/2009 at 22:43

Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - TheOilBurner
If you're worried about complexity, look for a post 54 reg low spec model. They have simpler wiring looms than the earlier half-canbus cars or later high spec full canbus cars.

E.g. 54 reg onwards LS/Life or SRi with no options fitted. That is, Design and Elite spec cars of the age you're looking it will have more complicated wiring than an SRi, for example. I know this from bitter experience of trying to fit heated seats to an SRi model!

Just about every modern car has CAN electrics, so I wouldn't worry too much.

1.8 Petrol is a good choice if outright performance isn't your goal. 1.9 CDTI problems are well known and 2.2 direct isn't trouble free.
Hi All

Thanks very much for all your replys they have all been taken on board, im going to look at the car tommorow, and its still a IF i buy it situation - I just hope that im not wasting anyones time as its a hell of a lot of money to part in the current economic situation and im wary of doing so.

As much at it pains to me to get rid of the current car, im looking for something bigger and ive always liked the Vectra, I dont care if Jeremy Clarkson and his gang dont like it - i do. I also dont care that its no longer in production, it works out in my benifit (slightly)

I dont know if its becasue im to tall, but i cannot sit comfortably in the current Astra for a prolonged period of the time, i start to get back and shoulder pains.

The Astra wil cost me circa £400 in the next month (tax, servicing and a new exhaust), a expanding family in the future and now lots more longer road trips (weekend away) than i did a year ago, I dont think the Astra is going to be able to meet our needs.
Yes we can use the C4 my gilfriends got but we always use that and its 1st year has already racked up 20k miles (albiet trouble free)

The Astra G although has been semi releiable is more of a workhorse than a drivers car - i find the road noise unbearable its very draughty with whistling noise coming from the back, thats louder in higher winds that ive never been able to trace

Still ill stop waffling, and let you know what the test drive tommorow evening was like.

Ste
Hope you like it. Just be aware that the Design model comes with a DAB only radio as standard (might have factory Sat Nav upgrade which is regular FM), and not all areas get much, if any DAB reception..

May not be an issue for you, just warning you! :)
Hope you like it. Just be aware that the Design model comes with a DAB
only radio as standard (might have factory Sat Nav upgrade which is regular FM) and
not all areas get much if any DAB reception..
May not be an issue for you just warning you! :)

Cheers for the heads up Oilburner ill check it out, and see what its like :-)
Well Ive done it, picking the car up on Saturday.

We (my partner and I) took the car out for 45 min yesterday evening - took it to Scotch Corner services and back, pulled over inspected the car inside, and out.

Apart from a slight scuff on the back bumper the car is in a immacualte condtion FSH, and details of service items carried out, its not a ex hire car, it was a ex mobilty car which i have no issues with. it comes with a full years tax, mot and its next service and with 1 year warranty from the Garage that i bought it from its milage is < than 20k miles

I had a look on Auto trader and found simaler cars for the same age and price, although i probs could of got more selling the Astra G priviatly I never sold a car privatly and dont really want to sart now i could do without any possible hassle in which time someone else could have bought it.
it might be more expensive than the industry standard but with one years tax and warrenty and serrvicing i still think i have got a good buy.

he had a 1.9TD factory alloys in that was more expensive I could not afford it but someone else has already bought it anyway.

We took it out on the road, and compared to the Asta G its smooth, refined and very quite, no more to I have to raise my voice to speak to my partner or go "eh" every to min.

indicators are a little annoyting, and tricky to use im sure that i will get used to them though.

Yes back leg room is a little limited but i dont really care, i have to say I love the car and I hope its going to be a releiable motor.

Thanks all for your advice it was all taken on board

Ste

Edited by redviper on 13/05/2009 at 13:18

to add

Bimmerdrive:
Yes I agree I always park in gear so will continue to do so with this car anyway ive done it for the past 14 years of my driving ?career? so its more or less second nature now :-)

Midlifecrisis:
I think I have a good deal, i accept it may be more than the industry standard im happy with what ive got as part of the deal, im really not one for selling privately never done it before

Oilburner:

Its got DAB and FM Radio, we had the DAB on and it worked ok - I thought it had though a 6 CD auto changer I dosnt appear to - but hey ho!

Marc:
Thanks for all your feedback ? I actually forgot all about asking in regards to the handbrake, its to late now ? so I will have to find out on Saturday, I always go armed with questions then forget them in the ?heat of the moment?

Its my 1st car that has the canbus system, my mate has a Astra that also is canbus, and my partners C4 is also Canbus they have never had any issues with it ? so ill just have to go with it, why cars cant just have normal electrics I don?t know, but I guess that?s progress for you.

Edited by redviper on 13/05/2009 at 13:30

Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - Marc
Sounds like a nice car - enjoy.
Excellent stuff. Happy motoring! :)
Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to it, and can't wait until sat to get it, I'm Marshalling at Croft on the Sunday don't think I dare take it out on the track though :-)
Hi All

I Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the helpfull advise, I picked the car up on Saturday and have already done 250 miles + of driving.

Its the best car i have ever owned, while I accept the fact its not in the league of something like mercs, and BMW's but I love it, I think it looks great and thats all thats important

Its Silver with Factory fit alloys, all round discs - all the gadgets, I havent quite figured out how to use the on board computer thingy yet, and Ive only just figured out how to use the cd autochanger.
To me its the little things that are important, and i know they are probs standard on other hi spec cars but i love the way you unlock it and it just opens the drivers door and the dash illuminates, i like the way the reading light buttons and the courtusy light buttons illuminate above your head.

The engine although its just the 1.8 is responsive enough for my needs, the ride is very quiet and conftable, there is loads of room, and i did 200 miles without getting a numb bottom and bad back like the Astra G would normally give me after 20 or so minutes.

I took it to croft on Sunday for my marshalling duties, didnt take it on the track though and
I dont intend to unless I have to get to my post in which case i will not be squeeling it around the track lol

Thanks Again :-)
Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - Dynamic Dave
Redviper, has it got autowipers? If so, leave the windows open and chuck some water on the windscreen.

You should be able to open and close the windows via the remote fob just by holding your finger on the appropriate fob button.

If you unlock the car but not open any doors it will lock itself back up after 30 seconds.

Pull the indicator stalk toward without the key in the ignition, this turns on the headlights and reverse lights for 30 seconds (door to door lighting). Or if you leave the drivers door open the lights will remain on for 2 mins.

And then there is the ejector seat, but I won't spoil that surprise for you ;o)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/05/2009 at 20:14

Redviper has it got autowipers? If so leave the windows open and chuck some water
on the windscreen.

LOL! Why it has but wont the seats get wet inside? what will happen??

You should be able to open and close the windows via the remote fob just
by holding your finger on the appropriate fob button. etc etc

SQ

Cheers DD, I slowly working my way through the 300 + page manual, ive only just figured out how to use the Auto Changer. but the car itself has got a long list of well thought out features

And then there is the ejector seat but I won't spoil that surprise for you
;o)

>>

LOL! I look forward to testing that not with the missus in though, on the other hand though......;-)

Edited by redviper on 18/05/2009 at 20:30

Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - Dynamic Dave
LOL! Why what wont the seats get wet inside? what will happen??

Providing you don't chuck water at the open side windows, the seats won't get wet. Just chuck a small amount of water at the sensor located at the centre top of the windscreen.
LOL! ok ill give it a go :-)

Im really well chuffed with it though, its easily the best car ive ever had
Questions on purchasing a Vectra (possibly). - davwood
Have a look at this site

www.vectra-c.com/forum/

very informative site all about vectras
SQ

Cheers davwood, ill check it out :-)

{red, there is no need to quote everything each time you reply, if you must, then can you snip and summarise - thanks}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/05/2009 at 22:37