01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Flycog
Astra 1.6 8v 2001 petrol. The car runs perfect until sometimes usually in traffic or pulling up to a junction the engine fault light with the spanner symbol comes on, and the engine goes into limp home mode.
Turn the engine off and restart back to normal operation and engine light goes out. Recently the wife reported that light was reluctant to reset after several starts. I have had a diagnostic check and no codes found.
Only work done so far is to clean throttle body and all connections are sound. Any other ideas please.
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Rattle
Could be the MAF sensor. Also I don't want to sound dumb I assume it has been serviced correcrly?
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Number_Cruncher
>>Could be the MAF sensor.

No - it doesn't have one!

01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - mobmech
Spanner light = service due reminder ??

Or engine management light ?
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Dynamic Dave
Spanner light = service due reminder ?? Or engine management light ?

The latter, along with it also being the auto gear box fault light (if fitted) and immobiliser fault light (engine won't start and light flashing on and off)

Service due light is actually the word "InSP" briefly appearing in the odometer display when the key is first turned.
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Alan Kempton
In the last two days this has started happening to me car and spanner light coming on but what I have noticed is when temp gauge rises to half way when fan should operate after being in traffic the light appears and put car into limp mode soon as car cools and gauge returns to normal or left overnight light stays off
so throttle side of things and Ecu you might be looking in the wrong area might be more simple than first thought just observation
UPDATE. I have found some codes by pressing the brake and accelerator down together, switching the ignition on and counting the eml flashes.

These codes are:-
1122 = ?

1550 = ?

1120 = Throttle body malfunction

Sounds expensive chaps,

Just to recap the throttle body has been stripped /cleaned and is spotless.
Would like to know what the other two codes mean and is there anything more i can do without replacing parts. I know a new throttle will need programming to the ECU. Thanksl
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - Dynamic Dave
P1122 = Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 High Input
P1122 = Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Low Input

P1550 = Electronic Throttle Control Reduced Power
P1550 = Electronic Throttle Control Forced Idle
P1550 = Electronic Throttle Control Power Management
P1550 = Electronic Throttle Control Engine Stop

Courtesy of a quick google that took me to

www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-134139...l

(among other places)

eg, www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163736

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/05/2009 at 19:21

Thanks Dynamic Dave, i have stripped the and cleaned the throttle body "again" and lubed the butterfly bushes with 3 in 1 oil. Had the EGR valve off but not alot you can do with that. Spark plugs removed and cleaned. 5 mile test run and it ran perfect with no lights up, early days but see what next week driving in traffic brings.

Frustrating that it runs so well, if it was running like a bag of pink fluffy dice then i could understand the electonics putting it into limp home mode !

Edited by Webmaster on 10/05/2009 at 22:55

Guess what light still coming on and into limp mode. Fitted a second hand accelerator unit today. 20 mile test run in traffic and no light.

Early days yet not convinced that will sort it out. Read a thread on another website a guy got same problem and same codes, he has fitted new throttle body too and still no improvement. Someone suggested it may be ECU fault. Time will tell !
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - SpamCan61 {P}
By the looks of the codes then sometimes the ECU can't work out the position of the gas pedal, and so puts the engine into limp home mode. This suggests to me that either the pedal position sensor ( presumably a potentiometer or something attached to the gas pedal body in the dricer's footwell?) is knackerd, or the cabling to the ECU is faulty, or the ECU itself has a problem with the throttle position input. I'd the the latter is the least likely to happen. Hoepfully an expert can shout if I'm way off beam here.
Thats what i was thinking spamcans and thats why i have gone for fitting a new throttle unit which is a potentiometer. Done some 40 miles with no light, fingers crossed thats it.
Update :- Problem is worse than ever, got a diagnostic chap coming to check it out . I suspect the ECU is faulty.
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - bell boy
andrew page could get these reconned for 200 notes
01 1.6 8V Spanner light coming up - topbloke
ecu testing nottingham are good used them a couple of times