How long does it take to transfer a registration - mike hannon
Just a quick query.
I'm still trying to buy something nice in the UK to bring back to France as a weekend toy.
I've found a really nice example of what I'm looking for just up the road from family members in Yorkshire and my brother-in-law, with whom I've stolen a few horses in my motoring past, has been for a look and says it's the one.
Snag is, it's on a very valuable personal plate and although the owner has bought his replacement already he hasn't yet transferred the plate. For various reasons I have to be in the UK the week after next and we had hoped to fly over and drive the car back. But when I bring it back it needs to be taxed and tested with current documents that I can show the French authorities when I re-register it.
So the question is, how long does it take to transfer a personal plate off a car and to restore its original registration or replace it with an ordinary 1995 plate?
The guy says sometimes the DVLA has to come out and look at the car with the plate on it - is that right?
Is there any chance that, if the guy contacts his vehicle licensing office on Monday, the transfer can be done by the end of the week?

How long does it take to transfer a registration - Alby Back
The plate transfer can be done very quickly if he takes the appropriate form into his local DVLA office. They pledge to do it within 7 working days but any time I've done it they have been much quicker than that. Once they did it on the spot.

The problem may lie more with the V5 ( logbook ) document. That can take up to 4 weeks to come back. Usually quicker but might be ambitious to hope for a turn around within the week.

What car have you got your eye on Mike ?
How long does it take to transfer a registration - mike hannon
Thanks for that HB, although it fills me with gloom yet again. There's always something that can scupper the deal when you are in my position and trying to buy at a big distance.
No details to be revealed at this stage - I've had too many disappointments. But when the big day comes...;-)
How long does it take to transfer a registration - bell boy
hb is spot on by the way