03 1.3 buzzing noise under hard acceleration - tyro
I've had my Ford Ka for over 5 years and a new problem seems to have occurred. On Monday during the course of a journey, I stopped on a narrow road to let a lorry past, and when I pulled off again, there was an unpleasant buzzing noise which had not been there previously.

It seems to be coming from the front left of the car. It is particularly audible in 2nd gear between 10 and 25 mph, and in 3rd gear between 25 and 40 mph. It is barely audible in 1st and 4th, and I've never heard it in 5th. It is only audible if one accelerates hard - if one accelerates gently through the gears, one does not tend to hear it. It is completely absent in neutral and seems to be absent in reverse.

(Not having any mechanics in the area, I gave the most knowledgeable chap I know a lift to demonstrate the fault, and he couldn't hear anything odd, rather to my surprise.)

Any ideas?
Hmmm. No answers.

I was wondering if it could be the exhaust. Does that sound like a possibility?
I finally managed to get it to a mechanic. It turned out to be the exhaust flexi. It was cut out, and a new one fitted, and all for the sum of £90 (incl VAT).

I was told that if I had taken it to Kwikfit or some such operative, the whole exhaust, including cat would have been replaced, and it would have cost a lot more. I took his word for it.