Parkinson's & 3 year licence - tack
Oh dear, the end is nigh. DVLA have now given me a 3 year licence 'cos of my Parkinson's. Seems like the end of the road, although I keep hoping I have Parkinson's Light, rather than heavy. Situation will be reviewed close to the end of three years.

My dream of a Cayman or SLK as a real mid life crisis car is on hold due to the fact that I handed my notice in at work the day after I got back from my month in N/Zealand. So, no income to mitigate the outlay for the jam jar, other than my miserable stipend know as "a pension".

So, the C4 Picasso is still the voiture de nos jour. And there is the rub, the cruelest part of the whole situation!

By the way, new rules now dictate that although I can continue to drive, I am not permitted to drive mini buses nor anything above 3.5 tons.

Parkinson's & 3 year licence - rtj70
But enjoying life instead of a car surely makes more sense. Book to go back to NZ, around Europe, etc.

I hope you have the "light" version too. Get on and enjoy retirement. May you enjoy it and motoring for a long time to come.
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Alby Back
Gosh sorry about that Tack. On an encouraging note I know a couple of people who have managed to keep on top of their Parkinsons for many years. Luck of the draw of course. Here's to your's holding.

By way of curiousity, if you were to sell the C4, what do you think it might sell for ? Only ask in case the "room" could come up with some suggestions sports car wise which could address the desire without upsetting the bank balance.....

Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Fullchat
Tack, sorry to hear about your Parkinsons. My mother has recently notified DVLA at licence renewal of her Parkinsons (lot of shoving from me!) Can you tell me how long it took from notification to being informed that you can continue to drive with the restrictions.
Mother has been waiting since the end of January but has a letter from DVLA telling her that she can continue to drive.
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - pda
Tack, your post shows just how similar drivers are whatever they drive.

I can see exactly how you feel and have no answers for you.

I'm not saying what I want to say very well here!

We all drive because we love it, because we have a certain empathy with the mechanical workings that make it possible, and because it represents a certain amount of freedom.
I'm 63yrs old now and could have retired 3 yrs ago but I can't leave a job I love and have done for 28 yrs yet, I'm not ready.
But I know, as all lorry drivers do, that the first hint of a mild stroke, heart trouble, Diabetes etc will have that HGV licence taken away immediately and it's something we all dread.
Not just because of the loss of earnings but for the loss of freedom. I know many who have gone on to do other jobs and have been happy, but there always remains a certain sadness in their eyes when they say that.

To have a car licence taken as well must be worse still.

Determination, sheer cussedness and a refusal to give up are the best I can offer, and have seen me through many bad time, Tack.

Pat

Parkinson's & 3 year licence - b308
Hi Tack, sorry to hear your news... I'd agree with rtj70, get yourself out on your travels! If its any consolation my wife had HSP diagnosed about a year ago and she has also had to give up her license... my free rides to the pub have ended, now I have to push her to the local club in her wheelchair! ;)

Edited by b308 on 25/04/2009 at 09:09

Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Jonathan {p}
Hi Tack,

I'm also sorry to hear your news.
It may not be relevant, but have you enquired about Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)? If you are eligble then you could get a car on Motability. While this may not offer a cayenne, I think it includes some cars like the A4 cabriolet etc?

Jonathan
HRMC/DLA
Hi Jonathan
Despite being in continuous employment for 40 years, and a considerable time of it paying 40% income tax......whilst I can walk, talk and lift a glass of beer to my lips without splashing it over one and all..........it is not something I have considered claiming.

Something in me (too stoic, or mug......depending on your point of view) prevents me asking for it.

An old colleague who is at the same stage of the condition as I am does claim it and drives a very nice car, courtesy of HRMC. Costs him nil, zip, de nada, nothing, gratis. Of course, he is entitled to it but my conscience flays me alive, darn it.

If I start falling flat on my face without being under the influence, or become a danger with knives in the kitchen, it might get on my radar.

Cheers

Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Jonathan {p}
Hi Tack
I fully understand as that used to be my opinion too. But having seen far too many undeserving people claim far too much, as well as the monumental waste that this Govt has presided over I decided that I'd claim everything I am entitled too also otherwise it'd only be wasted by others.
Hi Fullchat
My interaction with DVLA was pretty good via email.

However, the fly in the ointment was my previous consultant who was quite tardy in his reply to DVLA. I think DVLA contacted me within a week or so of original notification to them, told me I could drive whilst they made enquiries.

Before I went to NZ in early Feb' they asked me to give my consultant a swift kick up the rear as he had not replied to them. By the time I came back in Mid March they had heard from him and they wrote to me in 2nd week April.

I think it took a good 3 months.

Cheers
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Lud
I too hope yr Parkinsonism stays light and stable, tack. Three good friends of mine are afflicted, very differently in each case, two quite badly, the other less so...

I agree that Anzacland is a lot nicer than here in most ways too...
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - ifithelps
..HRMC/DLA...

Easy for me to say, but it's a bit daft to spend more on running your car than you need to.

Don't think of it as benefits scrounging, think of it as efficient tax planning. :)
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - Old Navy
>>So no income to mitigate
the outlay for the jam jar other than my miserable stipend know as "a pension".

You must claim DLA before you are 65. Use the system, you are only getting your NI payments back. Do it before the professional freeloaders clean out the funds.
Parkinson's & 3 year licence - b308
Tack, I agree with Jonathan, the thing with DLA and MA is that they are there to help make your life easier, and also help others around you have more time to help you. Certainly in our case they have allowed me to be with Jennie far more than I could have without them... You've paid your taxes, so now its payback time.

I'd also reccomend (if you haven't already) joining a forum that is dedicated to Parkinsons as they will be able to help you far more than you would believe!