Sad farewell to a beloved car - The Watcher
Oh well, it had to go! After I collected the BMW last week I decided the MR2 just had to go. Previously I'd advertised it in the local press and Autotrader in line with the various price guides valuations. I got one sniff via Autotrader from a muppet who offered me rock bottom dealer price. Like I said no!

So I took it to a few dealers with all the service history including invoices etc for a cash sale. One dealer 'offerred' me £5k for it. I laughed in his face.

The local Toyota dealer who I had bought the car off new and had carried out all service work bettered that by a grand but was just taking the urine with his offer. He knew all about the car's excellent history and his offer was just to make a quick buck for himself before he 'passed it through the trade' (his words). That was something I was not prepared to accept.

So I have now managed to sell it at what I considered a low price although that is some £1500 more than the first thieving dealer I approached was prepared to 'offer.' The lad who bought it has got himself a real bargain no kidding. If he traded it in tomorrow he would make £1k profit.

Still, the car never let me down and I had lots of fun in it and with it so, even though I have the new BM, Im sad to see it go. Anyone else sad to see a car they have owned from new or for a few years moved on when the time comes?

(Hope the new owner looks after it or I'll be very, very angry!)
Sad farewell to a beloved car - Pat L
Yes, Watcher, I was loathe to part with my Merc 190, so I gave it to my brother. The deal was that he sold his old BMW and gave the proceeds to me - still in progresss. I'm not really that bothered about the cash deal, just more concerned that the Merc finds a good home. It may sound sentimental but the Merc has been such a great car that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Regards

Pat
Sad farewell to a beloved car - Daedalus
Watcher,

surely if the lad got it for 6,1/2K and got a bargin and can now move it on for 7,1/2K you could have done the same? I mean if you couldn't trade it how is he going to?
I sold a Fiat Uno some years ago for less than I thought it was worth, the Autotrader add ran "first to see will buy", they did. The car was right the price was right and I sold it for the asking price. If I had held out I could have got say £250-300 more but why have the hassle.

Bill
Sad farewell to a beloved car - M.M
Bill's right. If you've punted a car around for a few weeks what you get for it is exactly what it is worth.

Like Bill one of our most satisfying sales was a mint Audi 80 some years ago where the calls from the Autotrader ad started at 7.30am and we'd had over 30 enquiries within 36hrs. The first chap to arrive had it about £100 off asking. He was pleased, so were we....we'd have dropped £350 if needed.

Thing was we bought it well and had a trouble free year's motoring. We also had bought the replacement car well so priced the old Audi to sell.

It was a trader who bought it, he arrived from 80 miles away by 10am with the cash...that's all we wanted....no hassle with tyre kickers.

Did get one duff £20 though.

David W
Sad farewell to a beloved car - The Watcher
Growler, I always wanted a mustang! Oh well ships inthe night and all.

Bill, thing was I wanted a cash sale not a trade in. I know the lad who bought it could get more if he traded it in (which wasn't an option for me) because the dealer told me he'd give me more IF I was doing a trade in.

I know a cash sale to a dealer is just about the lowest offer you'd get so did try it in the local press and autotrader. There were plenty of MR2's in autotrader priced a grand to a grand and a half above mine but they didn't have the service history according to the ads.

They did have lower mileage which is all some folks seem bothered about but dont care if an engine has been subjected to short stop and start travel which everyone knows(?) is bad news.

As a result, I didn't get a sniff!

End of the day, Im happy with what I got I suppose.
Sad farewell to a beloved car - THe Growler
Well Mr Watcher there'll be some sorrows-drowning tonight over here as well. Just sold my '66 Mustang ragtop in UK, no point in paying storage for zilch usage.

This bright red head-turner had the distinction of watching my daughter grow up in and around it in Bahrain, shared the podium with the (then) new 1994 shape Mustang on the Ford Motor Co stand at the Dubai Motor Show (went there and back by Arab dhow -- I was on tranquillizers the whole trip).

On one famous occasion I was driving with the top down on a balmy 90 degree winter's day on Bahrain's Corniche, when a Sheikh in a Corvette cut me up and pulled me over. He marched over literally with his cheque book in his hand and asked "how much for this car?" I had the devil of a job convincing him I wanted to keep it.

How one's plans change! I sent this to UK along with a brand new Harley, bought some land in Lincs and built a nice new house on it with a large garage. Never used either of the toys, never lived in the house, elected instead to rot comfortably in the tropics instead.

However I do have another Mustang here, a very nice 66 coupe but with not quite the same flair in a rather conservative white.

Time to break out the rum and coke and bore Growlette with Mustang stories.....
Sad farewell to a beloved car/Why speed? - Union Jack
Growler

"Keep the "Tagalog Tales" coming in" (as in "Why speed?")

Crikey! I didn't mean by return ...

Just be grateful you have a spare - Mustang that is.

Jack

PS Presumably you and Growlette drink your Cuba Libres out of "Pony" glasses!