99 2.0 engine management light on & no rev counter - bry01
hi i hope you can help on my way home my engine management light came on and i lost my rev counter. the light stays on all the time when i got home i took it out of gear and reved it up it the started to idle very badly can anyone help me please

{moderators note - the engine being referred to here is a diesel engine, not petrol as was assumed when the post was first penned}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/04/2009 at 22:21

99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - SpamCan61 {P}
You need to read the fault codes first, paperclip trick should work:-

www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

The lack of rev counter suggests dead crank sensor to me.
99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - topbloke
is it hard to start, and will it rev above 4500rpm ?
99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - Dynamic Dave
I didn't think the paperclip trick worked on the facelift Vectras?
99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - SpamCan61 {P}
mmm ...not sure to be honest DD, I'm assuming the facelift still has the X20XEV +Simtec ECU combination as my '99 pre facelift, but maybe not.
99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - Dynamic Dave
I was just going on mention of it over on VxOn.
99 1998 engine management light on and no rev coun - bry01
hi guys thank you for all your help it was a dead crank sencor you guys are brill and spot on
99 1998 engine management light - bry01
hi all again i got in my car this morning at it was fine no light and rev counter working BUT on the way home from work the light came on again and lost my rev counter i have heard a noise coming from the rubber belt that goes round my water pump i sprayed it with wd40 the noise went but after i reved it up a few times the noise came back its a sqeeky noise my car is a 1999 2.0 tdi diesel it has a metal cam belt can you help please
99 1998 engine management light - Dynamic Dave
Ah, now you mention that it's a diesel, don't bother trying the paperclip trick as that only works on petrol engined Vauxhalls. You'll need to get it hooked up toa diagnostic reader to have the fault code read out.

The reason for losing the rev counter is that it relies on a feed from the alternator. Not sure if the alternator belt on diesels has its own tensioner (it does on petrol engines) but it sounds like the alternator belt is either loose or worn; maybe both.
it has a metal cam belt

Its actually called a camchain.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/04/2009 at 19:48

99 1998 engine management light - topbloke
not bad 8 post's in and we finnaly get the details sack the moderator i say lol

right the belt tensioner is self adjusting that said the belts get old and hard but the tensioners tend to wear also and tip slightly causeing the belts to fail the revcounter is read from the alternator so thats where you should start if it only starts to play up after a bit of a run then when its present (the fault ) then test the output of the alternator regards TB
thank you guys i will get it checked out tomorrow i just went out in it again and the same thing happened the sqeeky noise is getting louder i will let you guys know the out come and thank you all for your help
hi guys i took my car into vauxhall this morning and the done the test on it with there code reader it came up as a cam censor fault do you think that this is right
99 1998 engine management light - topbloke
you have two problems here squeek is due to belt or tensioner or both second is the rpm this comes from the injection pump on these (contrary to previous post) thats why you get a cam code come up, its built into the injection pump and is not changeable (sensor ! not pump) these pumps are notorius for failing have a search to see what i mean , Regards TB