MP's tax expired. - 1400ted
Report in the Manchester Evening News today about a local South Manchester MP using his car with a tax disc which had expired at the end of March.

Not a major crime against society...9 days out....but this fine member, who seems to be a transport spokesman for his party, when challenged, blamed the DVLA for not sending him a reminder .

He then went on to say he would be making a serious complaint against the DVLA and the Royal Mail over the matter and that he ' Was finding the renewal system a nightmare '. ( Easier than ever, IMO .)

So, what about personal responsibility for these matters ? A perfectly good and visible reminder is usually stuck on the windscreen about 4 ft from the driver !

Ted
MP's tax expired. - Rattle
I am not sure which MP it is yet as the MEN website is playing up.

No doubt he blame the place that did his MOT if PC plod stops him about an ilegal tyre or something :D.

There really is no excuse for forgeting to renew the tax, a customer of mine got stopped by the police for having no tax and again he blamed the DVLA for not sending out a reminder.

I am quite surprised by his mistake as he usualy seems quite effificent, I had a good chat with him a few weeks ago about the metrolink line but that is all I can really say due to the politics rule.

Edit his comment about cannot do is job without a car makes me laugh. I work in his exact patch and slightly beyond, I have traveled round the ward in my business for over three years without a car and it has never been a major problem. I suspect the journalists have twisted some of his words but I then again I have never seen him on the bus.

Edited by Rattle on 10/04/2009 at 00:01

MP's tax expired. - bell boy
its rolling tax now ,9 days out is not a problem so long as the registered keeper renews by the 14th
i did the same last month by mistake,my car transporter wasnt used until the 10th day of the month and it was the same day it ran out of mot by amazement ,i mot"d it and taxed it and the state stopped the execution for another day
alls well thats starts bard
MP's tax expired. - astrabob
If a car is a Cat C write off (as my wife's car is), the DVLA deliberately don't send a reminder.

Yet with valid insurance, MOT and V5 (and money!), you just go to the Post Office and tax it.

What sort of logic is that?
Actually just having rered the report if it is true I am quite furious about his comment about getting around. So does the 22/23/23A/84/85/86/168/41/42/43/142/143 not serve his ward?
sorry astrobob thats baloney
my cars a cat c and i get the reminders
Ian, you're not a bus number collector as well, are you ?

A bike would be a good bet in his particular urban area.

I think he would have bettered his cause if he had said ' Sorry, it was an oversight '
rather than to blame everyone else.......I feel a letter to the paper coming on !

Ted
MP's tax expired. - PhilW
Thanks for the reminder (as well as the one in the post yesterday) - just done mine on-line for end of this month - took at least 2 mins.
Nope but I do know a lot about buses having spend the last ten years on several. I know the quickest way to go just about any where from M21 by public transport.

Last week by bus for example I got from Chorlton to Heaton Mersey in 20 minutes, if this MP wanted to get from his office to say Chorlton it would take him no more than 40 minutes by bus.

I realise why he needs a car and I am not suggesting he swaps it for public transport, it can be annoying at times and I love having a car for the convience but I could live without it. It is not like he is serving some remote Cheshire ward, it is one of the most densely populated wards in Manchester with a large amount of students.
Ian,

Used to get the 22 to school near you when it was a pre-war, half cab, single decker Leyland.
They replaced them with Leyland Tigers in 1953, all with NNB *** reg nos. Still single deckers because of the canal bidge by Barton swing aqueduct.

Ted
Hi Bellboy,

The DVLA do not issue any documents (including tax reminders) for any Cat C vehicle until it has had a VIC test.

My wife's car has not yet had a VIC test, your car probably has.

Edited by astrabob on 10/04/2009 at 00:39

MP's tax expired. - Stuartli
>>..so long as the registered keeper renews by the 14th>>

As far as I'm aware, this hasn't been the case for some considerable time. Some info:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...4
MP's tax expired. - maltrap
Where i live it's quite common at the beginning of the month to see vehicles clamped with large triangular yellow clamps and a large sticker on the side window stating "unpaid vehicle license"

Edited by maltrap on 10/04/2009 at 10:05

MP's tax expired. - Falkirk Bairn
Good job he was at Westminster and not MAKRO.

DVLA transit with 4 cameras on board (one at each corner of the roof) made a tour of the carpark on Wednesday.
MP's tax expired. - David Horn
Inexcusable, although in February I bought my tax disc two weeks early and shoved it in the glovebox. Didn't realise until one week into March when a friend pointed out that the disc was out of date. Still illegal, still my fault.
MP's tax expired. - BobbyG
FB, Glasgow or Edinburgh?
Surely they can't clamp in a public/private car park like that (IIRC Makro in Glasgow has gates that are closed over at night which would make it more private than public?)

Maybe someone just borrowed the van to get that bulky item home......
MP's tax expired. - Falkirk Bairn
FB Glasgow or Edinburgh?
Surely they can't clamp in a public/private car park like that (IIRC Makro in Glasgow
has gates that are closed over at night which would make it more private than
public?)

Edinburgh.

Any carpark accessible by public cars must be insured /RFL/MoT!
MP's tax expired. - martint123
The DVLA do not issue any documents (including tax reminders) for any Cat C vehicle
until it has had a VIC test.

You can't tax it without a VIC, so why remind you about something you can't do.
MP's tax expired. - quizman
I didn't realise that MPs had to tax their cars.

If a government MP went on buses, they would probably get lynched.

An MP having to MOT their car, surely they get new ones every year.
Hi martint123,

My wife's car is currently cat C, and she has not yet got around to arranging the VIC test.

When the tax was due last month, I took the V5, the MOT and insurance certificate to the Post Office and got the road tax. It is shown on the DVLA website as licensed.

As the DVLA website says:-

Insurers must notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of all cars ?written off? within salvage categories A, B or C. This notification will set a ?VIC marker? against the DVLA vehicle record. Whilst a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won?t issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11. The VIC marker will only be removed, when the car passes a VIC.

It is, of course, a very good idea to have the VIC test carried out, as without it the car has little value.
astrabob
As you are running a car on the road that has been written off by an insurance company as uneconomic to repair this car needs a vic to satisfy the insurance company that it is the vehicle they have written off
also as said the dvla will NOT be aware you are running this car and the fact you managed to tax it at the post office is an oversight on the dvla"s part
every cat c car should automatically have the v5 log book taken off the owner and sent to the insurance company who detail the identity marker to the dvla in your case cat c and they should then destroy the v5
this is THE LAW
i assume you were the owner of the car prior to the marker and you payed 10% of the vehicles worth to keep it and put it back on the road
Quite often a vic car will not even appear on the dvla website until the vic is passed
I would recommend you do the vic soonest or you may find the insurance company will wash their hands of you if you try to make a claim
I would also assume that your insurer is lax in the paperwork dept so you need to grasp the nettle and sort this soonest before it bites your bum
ok :-)
MP's tax expired. - martint123
I little further digging and the VIC leaflet from the DVLA says:-

If your car is involved in an accident and subsequently notified to
DVLA as 'written off' by an Insurer, but you decide to keep the car
to repair yourself, it may still get a VIC marker. You should still
have the V5C and you can legally drive the car as long as it is
licensed, has a valid MOT, is roadworthy, and you have appropriate
insurance cover. However, if a VIC marker is set, DVLA will not
issue you with a V11 or a new V5C if you should need a
replacement.

Which is a little different to what I had been told.
Which is a little different to what I had been told.
and me but then again every time you speak to vosa you get a different answer