Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Anglesey Ian
Having lusted after a Mazda MX5 for the past couple of years (but never done anything about it), I have noted a steel grey Copen parked in the work car park and, although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I feel a strange urge to (at least) try one for the long summer days which lay ahead.

I've done some research (inc HJ's test) and am aware of the relative shortcomings, including possible wearing engine noise on motorways; rather small cabin and so-so cabin plastics etc. Despite this, the consistent & prevaling view appears that it is a hoot to drive and fun is the operative word.

I am not proposing that this be my everyday car (my Mazda 3 serves my mundane purposes rather well), but this would be for self and Mrs Ian to just enjoy. Oh, you know what I mean and no, I'm not a hairdesser !

My question is, are there any useful views and/or opinions by users out there in backroomland who would like to proffer their views?

With thanks

AI
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - stunorthants26
As a Daihatsu owner and fan, I have to admit, whenever Im in the showroom, I look at their grey example with red leather and just wonder if it is as much fun as it looks.
Personally, Id have to have the 660 cc version as a screaming 3-pot pushes my buttons more than the current 1.3 engine fitted.

Having owned a Reliant 3-wheeler, Im confident I couldnt care less what people think of how it looks, although i must confess, Id want to put bigger wheel son it and stick a fruity exhaust on it, just to bloke it up a little :-)

Try one and report back!
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - theterranaut
My personal opinion (and its just that) is: go for the MX-5. The Copen is a very nice little car, but it is just that- very small indeed, not much room for driver, passenger or luggage. The MX-5 will seem cramped compared to an average saloon, but capacious indeed compared to the Daihatsu.

As well as this, the MX-5 has an engine that's more suited to general purpose work, you wont have to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere. Less stress on the ears.

IMHO.

:)

tt
btw- I've always thought of the Copen as an updated Cappucino.
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I've always thought of the Copen as an updated Cappucino"

That sounds fair. I have to say that the Cappuccino is/was more of a head turner, but the Daihatsu is pretty neat. I'd have the smaller engine, too - a tall lady solicitor friend of mine has had one for over three years and has no problems with cabin room.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 08/04/2009 at 16:47

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Avant
What's your budget, Ian? I was in this position last year and looked at lots of MX-5s but ended up with a BMW Z3 2.2 which I love, largely because of its lovely straight-six engine. There will be more Z3s and MX-5s around on Autotrader than Copens so you would have more choice.

Try them all if you can - I'd have thought that the Copen might seem like fun initially but you might get tired of the shortcomings. An MX-5 or Z3 (Z4 if your budget is higher), or perhaps a Toyota MR2, might be more satisfying in the longer term.

Edited by Avant on 08/04/2009 at 00:46

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - captain chaos
Personally I'd go for the MX5. Agreed the Copen looks funky and is good if you want to be different but the little Mazda is a very capable roadster. Forget all those jibes about hairdressers' cars, I read a report on the MX5 a while back in the US Consumers' guide and apparently they spent six months tuning the exhaust system just to get the exhaust note right. Now that's what I call attention to detail!

Edited by captain chaos on 08/04/2009 at 03:07

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Jamesh266
Last summer my wife decided that we needed a Copen, after she saw one on a repeat of Top Gear.

The only problem is, she wanted a yellow one, which was only made with the 660cc engine. This needs a service every 3000 miles. The later 1.3 has 12000 mile service intervals, but doesn't come in yellow. Because of this, we didn't bother taking it any further.

We test drove the MX5, which I thought would be just what we were looking for, but ended up with a second-hand Alfa Spider instead.

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - johncyprus
Another vote for the MX5 I've had two and found them great fun, cheap to run yet bullet proof. You'd find the MX5 so much more practical and is also suitable for touring with a boot rack and a suitcase which would not be possible with the Copen. If you're going to buy an open top get one quick , probably just a few weeks before the summer pushes the prices up substantially.
My sister had a 1999 MX-5 1.6, which while it handled nicely, it was just a bit dull for me - she agreed and rated her subsequent MGF VVC as in a different league ( and just as reliable but then hers was well cared for previously ).

I always liked the Cappucino so I guess thats why the Copen appeals.

Its just a case of trying each car - with an oil change at about £50, frequent oil changes arent a major expense really and it should come down to which car makes you smile the most, as thats what these type of cars are all about - too rational and you miss the point.
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - ohsoslow
I'm another MX5 convert, about to get my second one. I've never driven a Copen, but would imagine they'd be great fun to drive. Taking wife / gf away for long weekends may be a bit challenging though. After some intense training, I have got 'Herself' to manage with the MX5's boot space and even leave room for me to take a little.

The general thoughts are that the UK 1.6 MX5 is underpowered, but the 1.8 is fine.

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - captain chaos
Or a Fiat Barchetta if you want something different? Left hand drive makes it stand out from the crowd too
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Alby Back
I think fairly much anything which can have its roof lowered can put a smile on your face in the right circumstances.

I so miss my Westfield.

Might have mentioned that before.......

:-(
I remember when I was 18, stacks on money in the bank and during a temporary split from my ex-wife, I considered buying a brand new Caterham 1.4.
In the end I got back with the ex-wife - I bitterly regret not going for the car instead!
Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Alby Back
Yes there were many upsides. You could put it away for Winter for example. Take it to the pub or not, it didn't mind. It was always fun at weekends. You could take it on holiday but didn't have to talk to it. You could have an alternative and more practical model as well, it didn't mind that either. Come to think of it......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 08/04/2009 at 23:07

Summer Fun -Daihatsu Copen ? - Anglesey Ian
Well thank you for all your responses.

You asked about my budget David...... probably somewhere 4 to 6 grand which means that pitches it somewhere about 4 years old and with the smaller 600+cc engine.

There are a lot of MX5 afficianados here, and I can see the reason why and, indeed, this had been my initial fun choice. This is probably still plan A but next time in Chester (my nearest dealer), I'll take a test drive and report back.

Once again, many thanks for the words of wisdom

Ian