Parking brake question - tawse
Hi,

I have a question about the parking brake on the CRV III that hopefully some of you can help with?

The manual says you engage the parking brake by pulling it back fully. However, long before it is in the fully back position the red brake indicator on the dash comes on but the car is not braked - if on a slope it will roll downwards.

On other cars I have had as soon as the red brake indicator comes on on the dash I have been able to take my foot off the brake pedal and the car is secure on the slope. I then have had the option of pulling harder on the hand-brake if I so wished.

Anyhow, is this common in the CRV or do I have a loose parking break? I thought that parking brakes got loose over time and hence needed to be pulled further and further 'up' to obtain a secure brake, often requiring the brake to be tightened by a mechanic?

Thanks,

T.
Parking brake question - Manatee
Tawse, I haven't a CRV III but my experience of mechanical handbrakes has been the opposite to yours. Pretty much as soon as the lever's moved from the off position, the light comes on. This seems eminently sensible to me - you wouldn't want the brakes dragging if the lever wasn't fully off.

There's no load sensing with these things - it'll probably be a simple microswitch that lights the tell tale if the lever isn't fully off. On the CRV II the light comes on when the lever has moved half an inch. The instruction for applying it, which I have just read for the first time, is "firmly pull the parking brake lever toward you".

Edited by Manatee on 04/04/2009 at 18:48

Parking brake question - Pugugly
No problem with mine - not noticed when the handbrake light has come on - will check it out for you tomorrow. I park at home which is steep enough for it to roll but not had any problems. I'll be home tomorrow evening after a week or so away off and on.
Just shifted the car now - the b/light comes on with a smidgin of pulled handbrake - don't think its any different to any other car I've ever driven though. mine is secure with the lever halfway along the quadrant.
Parking brake question - Old Navy
I agree with the posts above, the handbrake light indicates that the handbrake lever is not in the off position, not that the brake is on.
>>Just shifted the car now - the b/light comes on with a smidgin of pulled handbrake - >>don't think its any different to any other car I've ever driven though. mine is secure >>with the lever halfway along the quadrant.

Mine isn't - it has to be fully pulled back before it is secure. The manual says it must be pulled back fully so, well, if I have mine halfway like yourself the car rolls.

Edited by tawse on 05/04/2009 at 11:26

There's no load sensing with these things - it'll probably be a simple microswitch that
lights the tell tale if the lever isn't fully off. On the CRV II the
light comes on when the lever has moved half an inch. The instruction for applying
it which I have just read for the first time is "firmly pull the parking
brake lever toward you".

So is this like a fly-by-wire thing as they have on modern aircraft? The parking brake itself no longer being a mechanical device physically connected to the brakes but rather a switch that merely activates the brakes?

No mechanical ! Even Honda (and I've "known" them a long time) couldn't come up with that sort of mechanical feel on something electronic. Its a traditional lever, just a different shape to the usual that's all.
>>So is this like a fly-by-wire thing as they have on modern aircraft? The parking brake itself no longer being a mechanical device physically connected to the brakes but rather a switch that merely activates the brakes?

No - mechanical and conventional as PU says - what I meant was that the light isn't load sensitive, just position - i.e. not off.

The only load sensor is you. When it feels firmly on, it's on. Light irrelevant, except to warn you when you haven't taken the brake right off.

You say you have to pull it fully on - how would you know that it doesn't have more travel available? Does it hit the stop?

Edited by Manatee on 05/04/2009 at 12:23

You say you have to pull it fully on - how would you know that
it doesn't have more travel available? Does it hit the stop?

I am not sure where the stop is as I am not that familiar with the car yet - I will have to go out and have a look and report back later on.

Good point though, it may have loads more travel in it but has merely stopped because it is holding? It is about 45 degrees from the level when the brake holds.

I tried it slightly lower, say about 40 degrees from the level, and although the parking brake light was on on the dash the car rolled backwards until I used the foot-brake and then pulled the parking brake further back to the 45 degree position where it then held.

Does it go all the way back to the "quadrant" mine stops at half way and feels fine (as I say its parked on a slope) - I would find a quiet reasonable hill somewhere and have a play with it. Note to quadrant position and report back, I'll do the same sometime this week.
Does it go all the way back to the "quadrant" mine stops at half way
and feels fine (as I say its parked on a slope) - I would find
a quiet reasonable hill somewhere and have a play with it. Note to quadrant position
and report back I'll do the same sometime this week.

Excuse my numptiness Pug, but what do you mean by quadrant?
Forgive me jumping in - sofa-bound and out of sorts today. Quadrant - literally a quarter of a circle, but I took PU to mean the full arc of travel available, though it might not be obvious what that is.
Quadrant again - I would guess that the bit of metal that has the ratchet teeth on it is called a quadrant in the parts book - but you can't see it as readily on a CRV as on a 1980s basic Ford!
Sounds OK to me if it holds. The light is only there in this context to tell you the lever's not fully off. I believe it also doubles as a general brake system problem indicator (including low fluid) so if you see the light on while driving, check the handbrake is fully off; if it is, check the fluid; if that's OK, visit dealer!

The separate drum parking brakes work well - much better than the type that operate on the disc. I had one of those (an Audi 100) trundle away when I forgot to leave it in gear.

If I recall correctly, the C-RV III has a shorter lever than then vertical one in the C-RV II - I would expect it to have more angular travel because of this, to give the same relationship between 'pull' and brake force.
You're dead right on both counts.
On the semi-circle, or quadrant, that the parking brake moves through it basically is just about, perhaps a tad over, halfway when the brake holds. In other words, about 45 degrees up from the flat of the semi-circle.

The manual says 'To apply the parking brake, pull the lever up fully.' so I think I am OK and simply am unfamiliar with it.

My last car, an 11 year old Brava, had an audible ratchet engage when you pulled the hand-brake up fully and I could feel the tension in it when I clicked the release button and let it go. On the CRV I feel nothing, no tension, no sounds of any ratchering but perhaps that says more about my old Brava than the new CRV?

I would guess that, back to the CRV, it has another half of give in it on the semi-circle/quadrant before it would reach the back of the semi-circle/quadrant where there is a physical barrier/stop. I would guess, over time, the parking-brake would be able to be pulled further back as the brakes wear in and would assume this would be something that is normally 'tightened' as part of a standard service.

Checked it out today for you - it holds well on a hill in the position you describe - no issue. Honda engineering standards are good - they have learn about quality design the hard way (any 80s/90s motorcyclist would confirm). It works - don't worry about it. Apart from that do you like it ?
Thanks Pug.

Yes, I love it.

The build quality is excellent, I love the high up driving position. It is a tad clattery in 1st and 2nd but maybe that is because I am not really used to a diesel and how to pull away... although it seems to not have the 1st gear pull away acceleration of a petrol... again, that is probably because I am not used to diesel... but once going I could drive all day in 3rd quite happily.

It is wide and I find that a new experience. I have not driven since last Summer so find myself stalling quite a bit as I am having trouble getting used to the clutch both going into 1st and also reversing... again, just not used to it yet. I went up a steep hill in Wales today and went from 1s to 2nd and the thing almost ground to a halt so not sure if I was in the wrong gear or just not pushing on the gas enough.

I feel safe and secure in it. Having read HJ's diesel FAQ I sit in the car for at least 2 minutes after driving to let the turbo be oiled before switching off. I am not sure about how to start the car from a stall - do you wait for the glowplug symbol to go off after you stall the car if you have been driving it for a while... I have just stopped the traffic for 20 or so seconds each time I have stalled just waiting for the glowplug symbol to go off on the dash :-)

I am going to buy some roofbars for it and probably some better mats as the ones I have do not cover the wide expanse of the front. I can sit upright in it, have plenty of leg and headroom and most importantly I am not hunched over in a bad breathing/bad posture position.

It is a heck of a lot of money to spend on something but I think it has been a wise move.
I can think of more reasons to like it than to dislike it - finickity little things mainly. Clatter in 1st 2nd can be heard, especially when cold. Being used to BMW diesels I don't always remember to wait for the glowplug light to go off but it starts anyway. Stalled it once felt a right pillock. All them bleeps going off !

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/04/2009 at 01:36

I'm glad it is not just me that hears the clatter in 1st and 2nd - having said that it is quieter than diesels that friends have from other makes.

I am surprised to hear the parking sensors bleap when people walk past the car whilst I am sat at junctions :-)

>>I would guess, over time, the parking-brake would be able to be pulled further back as the brakes wear in

They aren't going to wear very much, because they are only used as a parking brake. Another advantage of having separate drums.

I wouldn't worry about the glow plug light when you stall; the engine's hot so will start readily anyway.
Parking brake question - xtrailman
Can someone tell me the thinking behind the separate drum brake for parking?
I know the old Zantia was known to slip the handbrake, but i have never had that, but always leave it in gear anyway.

Pug
The clatter in 1st and 2nd was the same in my old xtrail, its only apparent because you don't normally use revs that high once the car is on the move, 1600kg is a lot to move, i never tried to take off quickly unless i had to, islands, junctions etc. And the chance of stalling.

Its a different way of driving, old man style i call it, change at 2.5k revs unless going up hill, change up as quickly as possible without rushing, just surf on a tidal wave of torque.
Its good for economy kind on the car, and you end up behind the car in front, that left you at the last set of lights.

I also just jump in the car, and start it up, no prating about waiting for glow plugs to go out, never found it necessary, except in very cold weather, but my car is garaged.

The real strength of a diesel is in a high gear approaching a steep hill, floor the throttle and accelerate up the hill, while the guy in his sporty car is getting red faced and revving the guts out of his engine trying to pass, i usually lift off and let him pass.

Edited by xtrailman on 06/04/2009 at 10:55

Parking brake question - Lygonos
The real strength of FORCED INDUCTION is in a high gear approaching a steep hill, floor the throttle and accelerate up the hill, while the guy in his N/A car is getting red faced and revving the guts out of his engine trying to pass. <<

There ya go - fixed it ;-)

The fuel is less important than the booooooost!
I am going to buy some atera roof bars for it for my surfboard and am looking around for some good quality rubber mats for the front. I don't like the material mats.

If anyone knows of where I can buy some good quality rubber mats please let me know. Anyone know anything about cannoncarmats - their rubber ones look pretty tough looking.

Thanks.

Edited by tawse on 06/04/2009 at 17:01

Parking brake question - Brentus
Tawse.

Did you know that when adminestering the parking brake you shouldn't press that button in while doing so. I was told this by Honda rep. Apparently its same for any car. Something i didnt know. Yeah i am going to get some cheap rubber mats owt will do. Soon be off to Cornwall body boarding the elegance mats would soon dirt up.
Parking brake question - xtrailman
Not so sure.
My 180bhp 1.8t quattro avant, could not catch the diesel golfs. Not on the flat or uphill, maybe once over 100mph but not from 40mph to 70mph, speeds generally used locally.

It did 0-60 in 8secs, and topped out at 145mph.
Parking brake question - Brentus
I am definately hearing what you all say is clatter more so in first than second but still hear it in second. You all call it clatter , i was going to post it as don't laugh tappitts rattle. I dont know if my Diesal CRV even has tappitts. Oh and by the way i am hearing this at very low revs pulling away i mean low revs. can someone give me some reassurance its ok and normal. I havent done 600 miles yet. Maybe i should av posted this on CRV thread not parking brake thread. Help.