1997 1.6 rough idling and cutting out - Paul B
Hello,

When i start the engine from cold it runs fine until the auto choke knocks off, then the
engine ticks over at 7000 revs then momentarily dipping down to 2000 revs and back up
again, then eventually cutting out, usually at a road junction or traffic lights. It restarts
no problem but continues with the same fault.

it's driving me bonkers, i've replaced the air filter,spark plugs and rotor arm and took the car to a VW garage to plug it into their computerised diagnostics and found no fault
as at the time they tested it it was running without cutting out making me look a fool.

regards

Paul

1997 1.6 rough idling and cutting out - Vinnychoff
have you checked if there is any loose pipes or cables that could be causing this? another issue i had on a car was the earth lead from the battery was breaking down. it caused wierd symptoms witht he dash and running of the car. suggest having a look at all connections under the bonnet.
is there a particular route you take, i had a motorbike that the throttle position sensor failed. this caused misfire, erratic running when off choke. took a while before it failed or gave me enough indication to prove it was faulty
1997 1.6 rough idling and cutting out - Paul B
Hi Vinny,
thanks for the advice, i haven't checked the wires and vacuum pipes yet.