99 1.9td noisy on tickover, quieter when revved - Vinnychoff
I have owned my 806 since 2002 with 34k and have serviced the car at least every 6 months and at most 1year keeping to beat the 10 k limit. I recently changed the oil and filter carried out a cam belt change and found the water pump was leaking. changed the belt. all done a few weeks ago. as my wife is the driver i only now recently noticed the engine is noisy than normal on tick over, the sound quietens as the car revs increase from tick over, lifting the bonnet the noise seems to come from the back of the engine. could this be the turbo? the car has done 96k but has not seemed to use any more oil than normal and smokes a tiny bit on tick over from starting, more like a puff of black smoke. no blue smoke but drives normally, pulls cleanly.
i guess i should check the mpg to test the turbo? or is there any thing else the noise could be? could a mount give a noise which as soon as the revs pickup eg tick over is 800 to 1000. as it moves over 1100 the noise quietens.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/03/2009 at 14:45

i had the car motd today and the mechanic did not seem to think that there was a major issue. After driving the car from the mot place and 5mins down the road it seems quieter now. yesterday i topped up the oil with castrol magnatec and comma oil.
i guess i am asking if oil can make a big diffrence.
i have strted using comma syth 15/40 diesel where as before i used castrol magnatec.....
Vince
99 1.9td noisy on tickover, quieter when revved - ianjoh
Hi Vince
If you have recently done the cam belt I would advise checking that the bolt on the bottom pulley is still tight. If this working loose it will start making a slight clonking noise at tickover and gradually get worse untill the keyway fails with horrible results! I managed to catch mine in time. If so, apply plenty of thread lock.
ian thanks i have checked the pulleys and did put some locktite, i now think the engine is making the noise but after a 30 min run it has quietened. am not sure if to change the oil again.....
Vince