03 1.4d drive shaft query - Edinburgh andy
hello folks. I was wondering if anyone has come across drive shaft failure on a mrk 1 toyota yaris ?? although i have yet to get my car diagnosed ( booked into garage 6/3) i have what i think sound like drive shaft wear ( eg a loud rumbling/mechanical wear noise when turning on hard lock -even start to hear it not on full lock- . I have a few queries namely: How common is this fault on a yaris?? estimated costs?? ( do you have to get the full dshaft or can by a cv joint for a yaris??, my chances of getting a contribution from toyota towards the costs( always been serviced at a toyota main dealer and only 53 miles?? and how safe is it drive ( i appreciate hard to tell unless you hear the noise) . on the car by car breakdown for a yaris it does mention its a point to look for when looking for possible faults just wondering how common it is?. thanks andrew
03 1.4d drive shaft query - yokel38
Hi Andy,
From what you are saying it does indeed sound like a CV joint is getting noisy. If it's the outer joint(s) then they are available seperately, quite tasty price-wise though at around £285 per side + vat and fitting, I would imagine that it would be in the area of £400 all in per side. While I wouldn't say it's a common fault, it's not unusual either! Due to the age of your car I would think it was very unlikely that Toyota would contribute towards the repairs, however it cost's nothing to ask.
Regards
Dave
03 1.4d drive shaft query - DP
If it's the outer joint(s) then they are available seperately quite tasty price-wise
though at around £285 per side + vat and fitting

How in the name of all that's holy do they justify that?

I don't think I've ever paid more than £50 for a quality branded CV joint.
many thanks for your reply. are the cv joints only available from toyota or is this price from a motor factor?. Many thanks andrew
03 1.4d drive shaft query - madf
Joints are much cheaper..tinyurl.com/dxxpx8
03 1.4d drive shaft query - yokel38
Well if it was my car I would seek a cheaper option! they are available from various factors at much lower prices.
Dave
just thought i would update this thread and say it turned out not to be a drive shaft ( the noise was caused by a build up of rust on the break disk ) the noise only happened when on full lock. So am very relieved it wasnt a drive shaft !!!. Thought any fellow yaris drivers or anyone considering buying a yaris may appreciate the update.

thanks for all the advise.