92 1.7 Front subframe - Deathlok
Hi Everyone,

I have a Renault 21 Savanna Estate which is now in need of a new front subframe. I have two problems;

1) I could do with some information on how difficult a job this is to do onesself and what equipment you would need to get it done.

2) I am having a lot of difficulty locating a second hand front subframe and was hoping someone might have some possibilities to throw my way. I am located in Hertfordshire.

I would be much appreciative for help anyone can put my way.

Many thanks in advance.
92 1.7 Front subframe - Chris M
You may struggle for advice here - not a very common car now or even then. I had one many years ago. Brilliant ride and a very practical estate.

Suggest you obtain a Haynes manual (ebay?) and perhaps find a Renault forum to post on.
Already have a Haynes manual and was studying it last night.

Looks like I should be able to get some sort of bar, with a screw piece in the middle where the legs at the ends sit in the drain channels, to hold the engine weight while I get underneath, jack it up remove the wheels then put it on axle stands. After that drop the suspension arms, remove the anti roll bar and the exhaust down pipe. Check for any cables or wiring attached to the sub frame, undo the four bolts and away it goes. I have to fit some new ball joints to the nearside wheel and this seems like a perfect opportunity to do so.

I intend to take two days of work to get this done. Day 1 to get everything removed and ready for the new. Day 2 fitting the new subframe, ball joint, outer tie rod end and refitting the other stuff. Then another couple of days resting (I wish).

I'll look out for a Renault forum.

Many thanks.
92 1.7 Front subframe - TurboD
scrap yard may be the best oprion to obtain one, but I bet most were not taken off.
Do you have an engine crane?, that would support weight. It is one heck of a job, you musts realyy like the motor as the value must be zilch.
You could get a newish Mondy estate for a few hundred, proably less than the job will cot you
But sounds fun
Update:

Have bought a new front subframe and bushes from my local Renault dealer (don't ask how much). Parts had to be shipped from France and have now all arrived. All I need to do is source some sort of engine hoist/support for hire and I have the next two days of my life arranged.

And yes, my partner does have an affection for this particular vehicle. So what the hell, I thought I should repair it rather than just let it go and get something else which we do not know the ins and outs of.

All I need to know is how to fit the bushes to the sub frame.
92 1.7 Front subframe - ianjoh
Better the devil you know - and you don't have an ECU that will make your life a misery.
It may even increase in value if the goverment starts dishing out money for new cars!
92 1.7 Front subframe - Victorbox
I bet there is a Renault owners website somewhere that would love you to post a set of photos of the whole operation. We had a 1990 Renault 21 estate company pool car - when they were new I couldn't believe they'd ever get rusty!
92 1.7 Front subframe - bell boy
i loved the savanna estate specially the 7 seaters
me and another trader once had a fight under the rostrum on one of these one bank holiday monday
the car was worth £1200 tops under the hammer
i had sold one the week before and wanted this one as my phone was still ringing (those were the days)
anyway there was me him and 6 other people and we bid each other up to nearly 2 grand,i dropped out at a really silly price like £1970 and he bought it,he was sick as a parrot and it took him a year to sell it
RIP alan we had some good laughs

ps never bid against a trader at auction if you cant see him bidding
Well I just have to (gently) hammer the bushes into the appropriate holes on the subframe. The Renault parts dealer kindly gave me a printout showing the subframe and where the bushes have to go. The front and rear bushes are actually different. Go Figure.

I have ended up buying a 500Kg engine support beam which is only a few pounds dearer than renting a similar item. Afterwards I can always sell it on Ebay or anyone here who might be interested.

If anyone knows of a Renault car owner website/foum post the URL here and I will happily take photographs of the process as it goes along and upload. If nothing else it might be good for a laugh or help someone else that is considering taking on this particular task. Although I believe you have to be insane to do so. :)

Next step is to book a third consecutive day off, just in case things do not go according to plan, and buy a large can of PlusGas to soak (the night before) all the bolts and nuts which I have to undo.

Wish me luck...
92 1.7 Front subframe - Chris M
"...and buy a large can of PlusGas..."

And a crate of beer, because you will have earned it!