M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - jsrark
Hmm...
On Sunday evening I was travelling south on the M6 Toll road. A decent journey from home, the occasional patch of tailgating etc. but nothing out of the ordinary.
I reached the M6 TOll at about 8PM.
At T7 there was a huge BANG! and I heard wind noise coming from the top of the windscreen.
I pulled over onto the hard shoulder - small but deep dent in the roof at it's junction with windscreen and a laminated screen with a lot of cracks.
I drove gingerly to the Norton Cranes service area, looking at every vehicle and bridge, and got out of the car to examine the damage in a safe place.....
As you will have guessed there was evidence of a large brick of lump of concrete hitting the car.
After I had dropped and picked up my mobile 'phone 4 or 5 times I accepted that shock had set in and I looked for a cup of tea....
The Duty Manager at the service area and the RAC patrol guy were both excellent providing common sense and reassurance. Many thanks to them.
The Police and Highways AGency spent a good deal of time loking for debris and I presume the bombardier.
Later, at the car repair centre we discussed speed of vehicle, acceleration due to gravity, height of drop, angle of incidence, relative strength of materials and so on on we agreed that a fractional difference in speed and timing had made the difference between life and death.

PLEASE
When you drive south on the M6 Toll in that area check the bridges for trainee bombers.
Perhaps that should be any motorway passing through an urban area.

If you know of anyone who knows anyone that does anything like this report them to the boys in blue; it might just prevent a death.

If this happens to you, and you are still breathing, report the incident to the polis.

FINALLY.
Anyone want to buy a bomb proof car?
Can I chage my name to Lucky?

Wamest regards from a fellow traveller,
Jonathan.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/03/2009 at 15:02

M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - drbe
Jonathan it sounds like you had a very lucky escape.

Very scary; very, very, dangerous, but it could all have been so much worse. I don't know the area of which you write, but is there a large council housing estate nearby?

What can we do to prevent this? Very little I fear - constant vigilance? Watching out for young hooligans loitering on bridges? I fear that all we can do is to keep a sharp look-out.

The thought of large numbers of drivers swerving or braking hard on our motorways is probably even more scary and dangerous than the actual threat from kids dropping bricks from bridges.

Darwin was right.
M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - Lloydy 25
You had a lucky escape. Maybe you should buy a lotto ticket. I hope the moron who did this finds that "what goes around, comes around". Whoever did it is just worthless pondlife.
M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - jc2
Please don't insult ponds.
M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - Old Navy
Anyone caught doing this should be charged with attempted murder, and parents held responsible for damages. (Fat chance probably live off the taxpayer).

With our society the poor dears will probably get counselling, more benefits, priority on a housing list, and a personal support worker.

Edited by Old Navy on 25/03/2009 at 09:24

M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - Brentus
Jonathan

You are a very lucky man. I would say to any driver who has had this happen to report it to the police in the first instance. You never know more reports in or at a certain bridge the police may undertake surviellance more closely. In doing this alone it may save a life. Always report any accident.
M6 Toll Junction T7 Warning - midlifecrisis
If you're ever a witness/victim of this it's vital you dial 999 immediately. There are a multitude of CCTV cameras operated directly from the motorway control room that could help identify/catch offenders.