Driving with no road tax - meltonlad
im picking up a new car on thursday (second hand) can i drive it back to mine with no tax ? it will be insured and with mot. i dont want to tax it till i have sold my other car.

Edited by Pugugly on 24/03/2009 at 23:01

driving with no road tax - Mick Snutz
I'm no expert but I would have to say no you can't drive legally.
No Tax and failure to display a valid VED are offences. surely?

For the sake of waiting a few days to buy it on-line it could save a large fine.

Also not sure if your insurance would be invalid if you had a crash en-route home.
Insurance co's will do anything to wriggle out of a claim.

driving with no road tax - Chris White
When I was picking up my new second hand car last year it was on a Saturday afternoon so Post Office closed.

The dealer I was buying it from was of the opinion that I had the receipt for the car purchased that afternoon so shouldn't be a problem if you were stopped by the police.

I drove home and just parked it up over the weekend and purchased new road tax Monday. Road tax back dated to the beginning of that month.

Car was insured and MoTed so I didn't see a problem.
driving with no road tax - andyp
If you are buying it from a dealers, ask them if they would deliver it to you on their trade plates, but you would have to keep it off the road & SORN it if you are not going to tax it straight away.
driving with no road tax - bathtub tom
It's quite legal to drive to and from an MOT without tax (as long as it doesn't fail on something drastic). So it's not unknown to book an MOT at say somewhere near where you live, drive the car home and then 'phone and cancel the MOT appointment due to unforeseen circumstances.

Not that I'm suggesting you do such, of course.
driving with no road tax - jbif
driving with no road tax >>

meltonlad: Don't believe anything you read here unless it links to a Government [".gov.uk"] web site.
".. It's quite legal to drive to and from an MOT without tax (as long as it doesn't fail on something drastic). .. " >>

bathtub tom: That is news to me. Can you give an authoritative source for that statement, please?

driving with no road tax - retgwte
It is definitley legal to drive TO a pre booked MOT, although you will need to be careful and have a garage prepared to verify that you have a booking if you are stopped

driving away from that MOT if its a fail not so sure

MOT appointment can be other side of country so you can do long journeys under this get out

driving with no road tax - FotheringtonThomas
driving away from that MOT if its a fail not so sure

Erm, something about to wherever it's going to be repaired - *unless* the MOT people say it's not on, which they might, if it's dangerous.
driving with no road tax - bathtub tom
jbif.

Will this do?

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn?t have a current test certificate, except when:

taking it to a test station for a test booked in advance
bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test, to a place of repair
taking it to or bringing it away from a place where, by previous arrangement, repairs are to be made or have been made to fix the problems that caused the vehicle to fail its test

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/D...8

Then with the MOT you can tax it:

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test
You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...1

Edited by bathtub tom on 24/03/2009 at 22:23

Erm...isn't this drifting off topic here.

The question was will it be OK to drive a new second hand car with MoT and insurance home with no road tax.

As I said I did above, I did it and would do it again.

Chris.
driving with no road tax - FotheringtonThomas
He's just answering the question asked later in this thread.

Thread drift is normal. You could always ask a Moderator to split the thread, I suppose...

The actual answer to the question "will it be OK to drive a new second hand car with MoT and insurance home with no road tax" is a definite "no". You can of course risk it, but that doesn't change the answer.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 24/03/2009 at 22:41

Sorry, didn't mean to sound grumpy. I should have added a ;-)
Thank you, Bathtub Tom.

in reply to Chris White: >> Erm...isn't this drifting off topic here. .. >>

WADR, IMNSHO, it is NOT drifting off topic.
Bathtub Tom hinted [Tue 24 Mar 09 20:15 ] that there was a way to drive the car legally without a tax disk.
I asked for clarification, as I was only aware of the one case where you could do so - one where you were taking a car with insurance and with a current tax disk, for an MOT test. I asked about BT's source for the statement that this could be done even if there was no current tax disk.

So thanks to BT's link, I now know that it is legal
"Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test
You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle ".

BT has kindly provided the info, and in so doing helped me save a friend the cost of having his SORN car taken for its MOT on a trailer. The problem is that he has yet to find out if any insurance company will insure it without an MOT in place. If not, then back on to the trailer it will have to go when it goes for the MOT.

Note: the SORN letter states "You must not use or keep the vehicle on a public road while SORN is in force. If you do, you may have to pay a £5000 fine and may even be sent to prison".

Edited by jbif on 24/03/2009 at 23:51

driving with no road tax - Dwight Van Driver
Driving a car from place of purchase home without Excise Licence is an

OFFENCE

Period.

If you chance it how many ANPR are you going to go through?

dvd
You've bought it without an Excise Licence.

SORN it

No Licence in a month and no SORN = £80 surcharge by DVLA.

dvd
New Owner......make sure you comply with the procedure in V5 re change of ownership
otherwise

OFFENCE

Fail to notify change of ownership on acquisdtion of a motor vehicle.

dvd
driving with no road tax - retgwte
dvd shows crystal clear why the police are not also judge and jury in this country

bigoted, ill informed, and reactionary
driving with no road tax - b308
why the police are not also judge and jury in this
country
bigoted ill informed and reactionary

Eh?

He's just stating the facts as far as the law is concerned... I don't follow you, R!
driving with no road tax - BazzaBear {P}
dvd shows crystal clear why the police are not also judge and jury in this
country
bigoted ill informed and reactionary

Well, that seemed horrendously unnecessary. Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

In fact DVD is simply stating the facts of the matter, so 'ill-informed' is out of the window. 'Bigotted' seems to not actually make any sense under the circumstances, so I can only imagine you don't actually know what the word means, and the same is pretty much true of 'reactionary'.

Simply put, as DVD states, no - it is not legal to drive the car back from the place of purchase with no tax.

It may be that if you do so, no one notices. It may be that if you were to get stopped by the police, they would let you off due to the circumstances, but nonetheless, the answer to the question is exactly as DVD said.

I think you owe him an apology.
Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? .. >>

;-) Has "retgwte" ever got out of bed on the right side?

I agree with what Fullchat says below. In fact, retgwte has proved with his own words who really is "bigoted ill informed and reactionary".

I trust DVD will ignore retgwte and continue to post his crystal clear facts, as always, on this forum.

Edited by jbif on 27/03/2009 at 09:06

driving with no road tax - drbe
>> Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

Looking at the time it was posted, it would seem he hasn't been to bed! ;-)
driving with no road tax - Fullchat
Once again retgwte you have scored an own goal you seem to describe yourself to a T. And yes I think you do owe DVD an apology.

Edited by Fullchat on 27/03/2009 at 08:54

driving with no road tax - SlidingPillar
In reply to

>>The problem is that he has yet to find out if any insurance company will insure it without an MOT in place. If not, then back on to the trailer it will have to go when it goes for the MOT.>

Most, but not all insurance companies require the vehicle to be roadworth - not to have a current MOT. Indeed, you could have a MOT 24 hours old, and do something to make it unroadworthy! Do read the policy though, some do require a MOT although I doubt any of these are in the business of insuring classic cars.

I've done just that. Failed MOT on a brake fault I didn't detect (quite reasonable though), and the MOT ran out before I could get my brake parts rebuilt. MOT station though is only a mile and half away. Had it failed again (very unlikely) the place of repair would be my house.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2009 at 10:28

driving with no road tax - SlidingPillar
The missing quote refereed to, that the forum software ate was....

{has now been corrected. It was the 'less than' symbol at the start that made the words disappear}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2009 at 10:30

driving with no road tax - b308
Surely getting the garage to use their trade plates is the legal answer (or getting them to deliver it)??
driving with no road tax - ifithelps
I know it's easy to spend someone else's money, but why not just tax the new car and save all the bother?

VED is a tiny amount in the overall cost of car ownership.