02 1.6 Cutting Out at Speed - jbailey41
My 51 Reg Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier cuts out at speed (usually on the fast lane of the motorway!). The "Anti Pollution Fault" shows, the engine light comes on and it cuts out. So far I have managed to cruise over to the hard shoulder, turn the ignition off and re-start it with no problems (although the Anti Pollution Fault and Engine Light stay on until it has been turned off and re-started a couple of times).

When it first happened (quite some time ago) I had it plugged in and they told me the Fault Code was P1632 - Smart alternator faults sensor/circuit malfunction. They said it could not be narrowed down to one or the other, both were costly and they were afraid that if they fixed one fault it could actually turn out to be a different fault and I could end up paying a fortune correcting non-existent faults!

I have learnt to live with it and found that if I stay at around 80mph it doesn't seem to happen. Inevitably, however, it's easy to creep over that speed and when I look down and look at the speedo, I panic and ease off the throttle - with that, I hear the bleep, see the Anti Pollution Fault and head towards the hard shoulder. I've got it down to a fine art now - I just cruise onto the hard shoulder, turn the ignition key off and back on, put the car in 2nd gear, whilst I am still rolling and continue on my way!

I'm not a "useless" woman driver and I've got some theories on this - it doesn't seem to happen if I'm in 4th gear instead of 5th gear (although the engine doesn't particularly enjoy it) and also I think it might actually be the "easing off" the throttle that makes it happen rather than the speed I'm doing - although I've obviously got to slow down eventually! Are there any "wizards" out there who have got any ideas what it could be?

I was having a new radio re-programmed on the car yesterday and the very helpful man did another diagnostic check and said that nothing at all came up - it hasn't happened for about 3 weeks (as I haven't been over 80mph) so I'm not sure how long the ECU remembers things for?! This guy reckons I should get the ignition coil and spark plugs changed. It sounds reasonable to me (at least cost-wise anyway!) but I just thought I'd see if anyone out there could shed any light on it for me before I go throwing money away!

I'm sorry this post is so long but I've tried googling the fault and I can't find anything and you all sound so clever on here!! I can hear you now saying "useless woman driver!" I'd be so grateful if you could help this damsel in distress and avoid me being ripped off by Peugeot!
02 1.6 Cutting Out at Speed - Julius38

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find any solution?