96 1.3 - Intermittent Clutch - sliver
Hi, If anyone can give any advice I'd be very grateful

I have a 96 Mazda 121 (it's a rebadged Mk4 Fiesta) that has an intermittent clutch problem. Most time the car runs fine and gear changes are fine, easy and smooth, everything as normal.

Sometimes, after the car is parked and turned off, when I start the car and press the clutch in, I can't select a gear. The pedal still presses and springs back but it's like pressing the pedal hasn't engaged the clutch at all and the gearstick won't slot into gear (any of them). If I then turn the car off and play about pressing the clutch and engaging the gears before starting her up again, everything is back to normal - I've got into the habit of turning the car off and then putting it all all gears (1-5 then reverse and then back again, reverse 5-1), starting it up again and then things are OK.

It's almost as if something is stuck or misaligned and playing around with the clutch / gears and the car off unsticks it. (you've probably guessed I'm about as mechanically blessed as a goldfish). It's starting to get more frequent but does anyone have any idea of what these symptoms might be? Is this what clutches do when they start to fail? I haven't noticed any clutch slipping or dodgy smells, like I said when it works it works well! Just wanted a bit of direction before a trip to the garage because the intermittent nature means they probably won't be able to experience it for themselves.

Thanks

A goldfish with a socket set

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/03/2009 at 18:37