06 1.8 Paint falling off! - biscuitman
Hi All,

New to this forum, so appologies if this post is not in quite the right place.

Ok, My wife has a 06 reg 1.8TDCI Ghia C-Max 47k miles, the colour is Dark Metalic Grey. Generally it's been a good car, but we now have a strange (and I'll bet expensive) problem....

Just ahead of the rear wheels, behind the bottom of the rear doors, a section of sill and wheel arch has lost all it's paint. The damage is about 4" square. Ford have inspected this and pronounced it to be due to stone chip damage. We are arguing that as this has happened in exactly the same way, on both sides of the car, this seems unlikely. In additon the car was fitted with mud flaps from new, by ford. We have suggested that the damage has ocured becasue of the way this section of the car curves out behind the doors placing it inline with any debris. As Ford didn't bother to fit any sort of plastic protection to this section we are arguing that it's a design fault. The car came from Ford Direct about 24 months ago and has a full service, and unusually paint inspection history stamped in the service book.

Any way my questions to you are --

Do other C-Max's suffer from this issue, or is it just ours?
Do other C-Max's have some sort of protection this part?

Also any ideas as how to pursuade Ford to repair this under warranty?
06 1.8 Paint falling off! - broomy
Hi biscuitman,

I washed my wifes 06 C-Max this morning and have found the same problem as your good self on both sides of the car.

I'll get along to Ford and see if they fob me off with the same excuse.
06 1.8 Paint falling off! - rusty_acad

Yes - I have the same on my 55 1.6 (which, coincidentally is dark grey also). Both sides, and it's almost certainly from stone chips. Mine does not have front mud flaps.