08 2.8 RB3 SatNav GPS Antenna - buntyshunt
I have just bought a Harman Becker RB3 Sat Nav unit for my Voyager.

Can anyone advise where I need to locate the GPS antenna.

Thanks

no need to shout !

Edited by Pugugly on 16/03/2009 at 17:00

08 2.8 RB3 SatNav GPS Antenna - elekie&a/c doctor
The Gps antenna needs to be mounted horizontal with the "domed" part facing upwards towards the sky and not obstructed by anything metallic.Top of dash near base of windscreen is usually favourite.However this may be a problem if the car is fitted with solar reflective screen.hth
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav GPS Antenna - MerlinTec
Hi
First an RB3 unit will not fit in a 2008 voyager, RB3 is for the older shape (RG) 2001 up to 2007 (number 1 to 7 in the tenth digit of the Vin number) a 2008 (RT) voyager will have the My-gig sat nav unit. Is yours a 2008 or just registered in 2008? If 2007 yes very easy to fit the areal will go at the base of the windscreen all you do is remove both ?a? trims then the peace below the windscreen will pop up and you can mount it and feed the cable in to the unit. Just to add a note make sure the nav discs are from a 5 disc set as there are software update on the disc to fix station preset issues.
Thanks for the info. My car is one of the last old shape (RG) models registered in 2008.

Does the antenna sit on top of the dash or under the vent in the middle of the dash?

The antenna is attached to a metal bracket which would look a bit stange on top of the dash!
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav GPS Antenna - MerlinTec
under the panel under the front. Very easy
I have now fitted the GPS antenna which as advised was easy.

The unit powers up ok and is working but there is no sound comming out of the speakers!!

The connectors are identical to the previous factory fitted unit.

Does the RB3 use an external amplifier?

Someone has suggested that the internal amplifier in the RB3 unit is disabled and an external amp is fitted by Chrysler? Is this correct or is there another reason why the unit powers up but does not give any sound?
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav Speakers not working !! - buntyshunt
I have since found that the unit has its own internal amplifier which is working. When powered up on the work bench and attached to speakers they work, but when fitted to the car the (car) speakers do not!!

The socket/plug on the RB3 unit is the same as the factory fitted unit.

Any idea's as to why the car speakers will not sync up with the head unit
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav Speakers not working !! - MerlinTec
Hi
No should work fine, If you plug your old unit back in does the sound work then? Just checking nothing got blown.
Yes , when we plugged the original unit back in it worked fine.

There is sound coming out of the RB3 unit , when tested on the bench, but not when it is connected to the existing connector in the car !!

My fitter wondered if the wiring in the socket is configured in a different way? i.e the speaker contacts are located in a different place within the socket?
I have fitted these with no problem and I have the install instructions should you want to look at them I can e-mail but there is nothing in them really. The amp needs an on signal from the radio to power on so I can only assume the radio is faulty and not talking to the amp to power on.
The unit has been fully tested and is working. The unit came out of a Jeep Cherokee and I want to put it in my Chrysler Voyager. When powered up the Jeep Logo appears on the screen. My local hifi fitter has fitted the unit into my Voyager with he ignition on and the sound works. When the inition is turned off & back on again the sound does not work! He thinks that the cars ECU does not recognise the Jeep Unit. Are the Chrysler & Jeep RB3 units different? How can I get the ECU to recognise the unit? As it is a second had unit I very much doubt that Chrysler will want to help!!

What year cherokee? The newer cherokee are can bus but the voyager is PCI bus so most likely a communication fault between the 2 the the amp is not getting an on signal. I'll check see if they list a different unit for the 2
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - PompeyAl
Have just purchased an 06 Grand Voyager which has the Harman Becker RB3 Sat Nav unit but no CD's have come with the car.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can obtain the required CD/CD's from please?

And is this Sat Nav system any good?

Thanks
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - rtj70
Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can obtain the required CD/CD's
from please?

A dealer but they won't be cheap. Anything like ebay will be likely to be illegal copies.
Thanks rtj70
Do you mean a Chrysler dealer or a Becker Sat Nav dealer please?
Thanks
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - Dynamic Dave
Have you tried looking on Navteq's website, or contacting the,?

tinyurl.com/o9om4l

08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - MerlinTec
Hi
You get them from a chrysler dealer lastest number I have 05064108AC this for european maping 5 disc set. If you do go for e bay do make sure it's a CD from the 5 disc set as there is important software updates on the 5 disc set for sound/ volume and memory issues. Price and to make sure I have posted the latest number you will need to check with them but I think it's around £150 so not cheep. Do not get a CD from a 4 disc set you could find you have no sound after you install it and the unit updates (or back dates).
Thank you all for your help.
Have found on ebay for £9.99 plus £1.99 postage.
Confirmed it's 0564108AC and picture of disc says disc 1 of 5.
Worth a punt? Or can I do the system damage if no good?
Looking forward to picking the car up Friday.
Really appreciate the advice.
Kind Regards
Alan
Also, would I need all 5 discs or just 1?
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - MerlinTec
will depend on the disc and if your RB3 is already up to date. It will ask you to update as soon as you put it in if your system is out of date. if it's a bad copy can't say what it could do. If your system is already up to date then it will only use the CD for mapping probably just give you a CD error message.
You will only need the 1 disc for UK
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav CD's - harrysaimbhi
Hi,
I have a 2003 53 plate Grand Voyager, it is the Limited XS model so has the sat nav unit built in, think it is a RB3 unit. Problem is it seems to not want to respond, it powers up with the Chrysler logo, but then nothing wants to work, no radio, cd or sat nav, seems like it freezes up altogether, any ideas?
thanks
08 2.8 RB3 SatNav Speakers not working !! - LyntonSA

Hi, have the same problem - did you find a fix for yours?