Price "errors" in on-line ads. - FotheringtonThomas
I am specifically thinking of Autotrader adverts here. Soon I may need a "new" car, so I've been looking to see what's about.

A remarkable number of advertisements say "XYZ for £XYX", but in the text of the advert we see "Pirice is £Z,XYZ" - with variations on a theme. Do the posters *really* think someone will pay an order of magnitude more for their car (I haven't seen any with "mistakes" the other way around)? That someone will see *this* car, and suddenly pay lots more than they originally thought? Is it a problem with Autotrader and these art really genuine errors? Seems daft to me, if not - people looking for a car in their price range won't look at these "erroneous" entries, and people searching in the correct price range won't see 'em. What do you think?
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - midlifecrisis
It's much cheaper to advertise a car under £1000, so quote the headline price as £999, then in the add it'll say 'price is £5000'
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - GJD
It's much cheaper to advertise a car under £1000 so quote the headline price as
£999 then in the add it'll say 'price is £5000'

Another motivation I'd thought might be there is that by default, autotrader lists cars cheapest first, so if I "accidentally" price my car at 599 instead of 5999 my ad will be much at the top of the list and everyone will see it.

Either way it comes across to me as a cheap trick and slightly annoying, making wonder whether that's the sort of person I want to buy a second hand car from.

Price "errors" in on-line ads. - DP
Either way it comes across to me as a cheap trick and slightly annoying making
wonder whether that's the sort of person I want to buy a second hand car
from.

My thoughts exactly.
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - FotheringtonThomas
>> It's much cheaper to advertise
autotrader lists cars cheapest first

The latter was my guess, however mlc's explanation also looks good.

Either way:
it comes across to me as a cheap trick and slightly annoying making
wonder whether that's the sort of person I want to buy a second hand car
from.

I agrree with that!
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - Andrew-T
The ones that amuse me are for a ludicrously expensive 205, which the photograph shows to be a 206. That must also amuse the seller(s) ...
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - Dave^^
How about people who obliterate the registration mark from the photo? Would they be trying to stop people doing online check perhaps...?
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - Rattle
Advertise a car with the wrong price and 100mls instead of 100,000 is a way to guarentee to make me walk away
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - njgleeds
More often than not, its to avoid people 'ringing' stolen vehicles or making up false plates in order to get good discounts at the filling station! I'll happily give out reg details to prospective purchasers over the phone so as they may do any checks they feel necessary but your average criminal will just look for the next identical car on Ebay, Trader etc to the one they have 'acquired'...

Neil
Ah, thanks for that Neil, I'll know not to be suspicious of such ads in future!
With regards to the incorrect mileage, price etc its purely in order to gain top listing on Traders website and yes, it's very annoying to me too when my legitimate advert gets pushed a couple of pages back on a site search.
It never fails to amaze me how many adverts are so badly written even on the likes of Auto trader by so called professional dealers...

Neil
I hate this sort of add, its made up but very typical of the patronising crap you get.

Ford Focus 1.8 CL, 100mls, all Ford stamps on the book, 2 keys, 3 lady owners, just had a vallet, long mot, good condition for year, first to see will buy, all use CL extras £1.49k no offers. Trade.

How I read the add.

1998 S reg Focus with 100,000 miles, 7 months MOT, a few scratches and rust bubbles, some fake history and three fat **** who have given it lots of parking scratches. All oil leaks disguised in recent engine clean. Completly povery spec. £1495

EXCUSE ME!

Who gave you permission to copy one of my ads on here ;-)
As you mention... 'Usual CL spec'...
I love some of the filler in the ads if you look around. One of my personal faves which I've seen a couple of times recently is 'Centre brake lights above rear window'.
Err haven't they all got those?
Others are rear seat belts, rear centre armrest, heated rear window etc etc
You just know they're struggling to find a few positives!

Neil
Hehe I sat in a CL once at a Ford dealer, it did have PAS, central locking, an airbag and electric windows but I think that is where it ended. I do find it amsuing how some traders list things like rear seat belts which are required by law. I suppose 15 years ago they would advertise such 'luxeries' as brake servos or a 5 speed box now all standard.
How about

"First to see will buy"

Price "errors" in on-line ads. - ifithelps
...You just know they're struggling to find a few positives!...

Reminds me of a Lada I saw at auction years ago.

The auctioneer was also struggling to describe it and resorted to: "It's got the see-through windows and the all-black tyres."
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - jc2
I knew someone who worked as a junior in an estate agent.His first job any day one of their adverts came out in the papers was to compare what they had asked to be put in the advert with what actually appeared-ANY mistake and the advert was free.
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - bananastand
At the risk of boring you all to death, as I've harped on about it before.... when you see a "private" advert, ie not trade, the killer question is (after a while it's hard to ask it with a straight face) - - "is it your name on the V5?"

Over 50% of the time it's not - but you get a different excuse every time! To quote Vic Reeves - "YOU LYING - - -!
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - GJD
At the risk of boring you all to death as I've harped on about it
before.... when you see a "private" advert ie not trade the killer question is (after
a while it's hard to ask it with a straight face) - - "is it
your name on the V5?"

I sold a car privately once when the answer to that was, "no". A bloke I worked with moved to Australia and left me his old Rover to flog. I did get him to write a "to whom it may concern" explaining the situation but even to me the whole thing just came across as potentially very dodgy.

I was rather surprised and very pleased when it went to the first person who saw it.
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - PST
When you place an ad with Autotrader it puts in some basic items for your car - such as airbags, PAS, central locking - by default. So it is generally easier to leave these in and then add your own text on top.

Of course, at the shed end of the market it is quite useful to have it confirmed that said shed does in fact have some of the basic comforts in life!
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - NARU
Usual CL spec ...

Fine for those in the trade, but not much use for private buyers who don't know what was part of the spec in any particular year. Far better to list what it does have!
Fully loaded...

Seems to be completely meaningless in my experience - especially as they rarely seem to have the (factory) extras I want!
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - DP
I used 'fully loaded' in the ad for the Scenic. Oops. Good ad though - 4 calls in the first day, and the car sold within 24 hrs.
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - jacks
how about "Electric Pack" - what does that means?

The dealers (advertising as private) are often easy to spot using phrases like: Nice example, or drives well, and mis-describing the colour using generics like dark green metallic or light blue when it's actually - say - Goodwood Green or Moondust.

The other annoying one is when a car ( a Focus say) is advertised, but when clicking through the text says "This car is now sold - but I do have a Peugeot 306 for sale" and listing the details of that car.
I assume they can amend their ad. when the original car is sold and get 2 ads for the price of one.

J
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - Lud
'Fully loaded'... Hmmm.

An American expression. I am put off by it, because it implies the seller doesn't see cars in the same way that I do. Just for a start it makes the jalopy in question sound overweight. Most bells and whistles are a pain anyway.
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - Lud
the car sold within 24 hrs.

Just out of interest DP, what did you say when the potential buyers asked why you were selling? (I wasn't sure I would have sold the car under the same circumstances).

You don't have to answer...

:o}
Price "errors" in on-line ads. - boxsterboy
I love some of the filler in the ads if you look around. 'Centre brake lights
above rear window'.
Err haven't they all got those?
Others are rear seat belts rear centre armrest heated rear window etc etc
You just know they're struggling to find a few positives!

Actually the Auto Trader software is at fault here.

When you list and advert you have to type in the car registration (which remains private), from which the software deduces the model, and a whole long list of irrelevant equipment, such as the ones listed. Of course, there is nothing to stop this pointless information being edited, but not everyone bothers ...