Plated MAM please? - Nomag
Looking for a larger family car and decided we can compromise on 5 rather than 7 seats. Therefore been looking for what offers us most space and towing ability for our 1325kg MTPLM caravan whilst keeping within 3500kg total MAM (car + van, total MAM of car NOT kerbweight) so both myself and my wife don't have to go to the hassle of taking our B+E test.

I know there are plenty of caravan haters here, but could anyone with a mk III CRV disesl do me a favour and check their ID plate for the MAM please? The Honda website says 2160kg but wanted to confirm this before seriously considering it, as this is within a whisker (well 15kg) of 3500kg total. If this is correct I am delighted to be able to consider a CRV without the B&E, and I'm quite keen.

On another point, does anyone tow with one and know how it manages?

Finally, do Honda fit memories to the electric seat on the EX model? We have this on our Octavia and it is incredibly useful when two people regularly drive the car, no faffing adjusting the seat as it does it to the drivers key when opening up.

Thanks
Plated MAM please? - Pugugly
Check it for you tomorrow evening.
Plated MAM please? - NARU
I'm so glad that I'm not covered by the post '97 B+E rules!

I haven't towed with a CR-V but owners I speak with rate it highly. It does seem to droop down a lot at the back with a full boot and 100Kg on the towball but still seems to operate fine.
Plated MAM please? - andyfr
On another point, does anyone tow with one and know how it manages?

I occasionally tow a large 4 wheel trailer and it's fine. It has Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Trailer Stability Assist (TSA) as standard.

Edited by andyfr on 16/03/2009 at 09:29

Tell me where to find the data - I've found the plate it has a number of weights on it. I have also found the data pages in the Manual - as a complete towing dimwit what does MAM mean - I understand the concept just after a de-code on the initials.
Plated MAM please? - Alby Back
It's a northern version of Mater I believe.......
Wonder what was in that cake I had with t'afternoon tea.
Plated MAM please? - Manatee
Rob, it's Maximum Authorised Mass - similar to Gross Vehicle Weight.

The data plate probably has four numbers on it - going by the CRV II plate.

MAM/GVW - around 2100-2200kg

Max Train Weight - around 4000kg?

Front and rear axle weights - around 1100kg each and adding up to the MAM or slightly higher.

So if the first number is 2160 then that will confirm the OP's belief.

Edited by Manatee on 16/03/2009 at 19:23

OK will re-visit headtorch strapped on and further bemuse the neighbour (who watches like a Hawk)

Edit:-

In order of appearance on the plate:-

Drumroll !

Hope that make sense.

Edit v. 2

Buy one - you won't regret it cracking cars by any standard - mine's a 2.2 diesel.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/03/2009 at 19:28

That makes total sense. The Max Towing Weight is 2000kg (GTW - MAM). The MAM is indeed 2160kg.
Well I won't pretend to understand that (I knew about GVWs) - all I can say its a stable enough car with VSA and TAS - plenty of torque to pull a trailer. My little Ifor Williams will be hooked up when I get around to putting a tow-bar on it.
Thanks Pugugly - really helpful. That confirms the website data - fantastic I can tow our van with one without the B&E.

Now to get a quote to lease with a towbar - deals on Lings Cars seem good at the moment at just over 300 a month for 10k miles.
Plated MAM please? - Brentus
Nomag
I have just bought one ES diesal brill car. Like pug says it has all the gismo's VSA (vehicle stability assist) TSA (trailer stability Assist) suppose that covers the caravan then. Good news is i got nearly £5 grand off and great part Ex price. This was at Westgate Honda Grimsby ask for Ian he tells me deal on until end of month. Youll love the car.
Plated MAM please? - Dave_TD
If the GTW is >3500kg, does the car fall under the tachograph regulations?

I only ask because IIRC Clarkson made this point in a review of the Toyota Landcruiser some while ago, albeit in slightly more dramatic fashion. ("its towing capability is so great, if it were fully loaded it would actually be classed... as a lorry.")

I used to run a Transit where this rule applied, GVW 3500kg GTW 5500kg so a disc had to be inserted when something was first towed and tacho regs adhered to for the rest of the day whether towing or not. Also drove a Land Rover Defender with a tachograph unit mounted in the passenger footwell where you'd normally find the phone cradle....

Dave TD.
Thanks guys.

Now can anyone answer my query re. the electric seat on the EX model? A memory on this would be incredibly useful to us.

Cheers
I'll check the manusl for you tomorrow - just put it back after the weight question !
No reference to memory seats in the Manual - looks like the power seat is "driver side" only as well.
Re Tachographs -

I can't give chapter and verse but it's quite likely if it's being used for commercial purposes; not though for private motoring.

Edited by Manatee on 17/03/2009 at 23:17

Plated MAM please? - Dave_TD
quite likely if it's being used for commercial purposes

I thought so, the LR was a van body as obviously was the Tranny. Tacho rules only apply to carriage of goods for commercial purposes only anyway I believe, ie I don't need a disc in if I take my truck home on a Saturday to fetch a piano with.

Dave TD.
Hire or Reward are the key words in the act.