Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Gabe
Am looking to buy a supermini and am considering a Fiat 500. I want a solid 'Volkswagen type' vehicle but am not overly enamored by the Polo. My budget is £8500. Any ideas? Am thinking about the Fiat 500.
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - PR {P}
Its a great little car. My sister has one. My advice would be go and test drive one at your local dealer see if you like it. They do feel very very solid aswell
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - rtj70
But what selection criteria come from "Volkswagen type vehicle"... Under the VW brand alone they make cars the size of the Fox right upto the Phaeton and Touareg. They are all VW type vehicle?

Did you mean Polo sized? If so then other VAG cars like the SEAT Ibiza and Skoda Fabia also could be considered.

You don't say if you're buying new or second hand. And if second hand what is the oldest car you'd consider?

Not knocking the FIAT 500 though... I'd take one as a second car.
I'd consider used or new. If used I'd want it to be 1-2 years old with pretty low mileage....I guess I just don't like the Polo very much. In an ideal world I'd buy a Mini but I just can't afford one :(
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - rtj70
They say the Mini and FIAT 500 have similar interior spaces! The FIAT 500 is better packaged. I think it's the nicer looking car personally. In fact I do not like the interior of the Mini.

I'd go and try a FIAT 500. You'd be surprised how fun they are meant to be. Although you might find the Panda on which it is based is also okay??
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - PR {P}
The Panda feels (and is) less solid. It has 4* NCAP against the 500's 5*.
Does anyone know what the depreciation rate is like?
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Avant
According to What Car, a 500 will retain 46-49 % of its value after 3 years. That's pretty good in the current climate and much better than other Fiats.
Great - thanks for that Avant
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Dodge
I had one, great looking little car, very low depreciation, no faults at all on mine. Honest John is right the handling is poor so check it out with a decent test drive. I wouldnt say there is a problem, its just that driving the car leaves you a little flat, unlike the Mini which does make one smile. That said with so many boring superminis around it has to be on anyones shopping list.

Please Fiat copy the KAs suspension!!!!. Do this and I promise I will buy another one.
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - doctorchris
Regarding Fiat 500 handling.
I've had 2 Pandas, very similar suspension, and have been delighted with the handling.
The difference is that they have both been 4x4s with a very different rear suspension set-up.
The 4x4 system calls for true independent rear suspension which seems to make a big difference.
Maybe there's a case for a Fiat 500 4x4!
Glad to hear that I haven't had any negative feedback!
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Avant
"In an ideal world I'd buy a Mini but I just can't afford one"

If you're paying cash, yes, a Mini is expensive. But if you're going for a PCP, you might be surprised: Minis hold their value so well that the monthly payments may be lower than you think. It's worth getting a quote.
That's the problem - I'm paying in cash. Have considered buying a much older mini but think I'd be better off buying a slightly newer car.
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - The Melting Snowman
Fiat Panda. It does everything the 500 will for less money.
Once all the froth and fizzle has died down regarding the 500, people will actually see that the Panda is a better car.
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - captain chaos
Not as nice to look at though IMHO
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Alby Back
Funny things humans. The bits of our cars we actually see and use the most are the seats, the steering wheel, the pedals, the key instruments, the mirrors and a fairly standard view through a roughly rectangular piece of glass.

Yet we do persist in allowing our purchase decisions to be largely influenced by the outward appearance of the vehicle and even the body colour can put us off or attract us.

I claim no immunity from this basic irrationality by the way......
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Pugugly
Alfa 8-)
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - Alby Back
Thats cheating........
Seeking good quality, solid supermini - robroy
I have owned a Mini One since new, having covered over 70,000 miles. I tested a 1.3 Fiat 500 multijet, and while it appears to have Mini build quality, in no way could it compare with the wonderful road driving characteristics of my mini,- assuming that you intend to use it on the 'open' road.

My advice would be to check out the PISTONHEADS web site where over 200 minis are advertised for sale[trade/private]

However, if you want something new [circa £6,000], which in many ways is the equal [and better, - bar safety] of the Mini, go for a Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel, notwithstanding that it may not be as 'twee' as the 500.

Happy Driving!