Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Rattle
I borrowed my dads car and was driving back, the traffic was chuc-block and there is a bus lane. Every car was stuck in the traffic jam in the bus lane, I just wizzed down the empty lane and cut a good 5 minutss of the journey. The bus lane is clearly marked every few metres that is not in operation on a Saturday.

The bus lane in question is the same one Ted1440 has posted about opposite KFC in a part of South Manchester I am just amazed as this just keeps happening. Now most this traffic must be local so there is no excuse not to know the times of operation.

Just a little rant and thank you ignorant drivers for giving me a lane enitely to myself :).
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - doctorchris
Yes, Rattle, the general public are thick and behave like sheep in these circumstances.
Many drivers are incapable of controlling their cars and reading signs at the same time.
Just think yourself lucky that you can multi-task.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - madux
Maybe they were all going to turn left 7 roundabouts later?
I know what you mean about sheep, there is a few times I've kicked myself for it, following the car in front then realising he is in the wrong position etc, however I read ahead and think why is that driver there so I sort it out before it becomes a problem.

Madux there isn't really any turn offs, there is a big junction about 3/4 mile further down but it all becomes one lane before then anyway. The majority of the traffic just goes straight on or left so in the circumstances today they were all in the wrong lane and if it was their driving test they would be given an instant fail. The worst thing is if any of us do use the lane like we are supposed to we get funny lucks, my dad once got beeped at once for being in the correct lane.

Edit some things are poorly signed but this particular bus lane could not be better sign posted, I realise some people won't know and will keep out as its the safest option but there is no excuse for the vast majority of people especialy as it will be a local road to them.

Edited by Rattle on 07/03/2009 at 13:33

Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - smilleynially
Please...... Don't tell everyone!!!! I love driving up and down the bus lanes through central London during the 'un-controlled' hours whilst others sit in the queue alongside it..... :-)
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Manatee
Every car was stuck in the traffic jam in the bus lane,

Do you mean the none-bus lane, or have I misunderstood?

Consider it a benefit, you get your own lane.

I get more irked when observing bus lanes and being cut up by people in it when they shouldn't be.
I meant none bus lane yep. Outside lane if you like.

Being cut up is a problem but usualy when the traffic is light people suddenly pull in front but when the traffic is jammed they cannot move anyway.

I do think that the times should also be painted onto the lanes as well, then there really really is no excuse, and if people cannot read signs and control the car at the same time how are they supposed to avoid an accident?
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - doctorchris
Rattle, the sheep will not be able to read messages on the road any better than signs.
Just take advantage of your good fortune and drive past the other punters.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Halmer
I sat in a row of traffic near major junction works the other day.

After a while I realised that the reason I hadn't moved for five minutes was that the cars belonged to people working on the junction and there was no one sitting in them.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Lud
Yes Rattle, a lot of people are quite thick, and even the ones who aren't can be swept along by the tide.

They are also careless enough, on realising they can use the bus lane after all, to swerve into it without signalling or checking their nearside mirrors. So always pussyfoot and remain vigilant when undertaking a line of traffic by going down the bus lane.

Edited by Lud on 07/03/2009 at 15:22

Thanks for that tip Lud :), its not happened to me yet but hopefully if it does I will be more than ready to slow down.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - retgwte
often the plates with the times are too small

or the times change too frequently, one stretch of road has 25 yards with one set of times, next 25 yeards with another set of times and so on

information overload to the driver, where you can drive 10 yards down the road and have more than 10 signs you are supposed to read and understand and take account of

all conspire to make it a real prioritisation excercise, and for anyone not familiar with the area checking the time on the plates will be way down low on the list of prioritis what with the chavs throwing themselves in front of your car and so on

the rules should be simpler and more consistent

same as speed limits, some countries have much fewer limits maybe on 50 and 100 kph and make it obvious which is which, makes it much easier to figure out what speed you are supposed to be doing, the UK compares very badly with its poor incosistent rules and signs

etc etc

and no im not thick, and if you insist on pushing back into the traffic flow when it goes back into one lane i may well get cheesed off with you

Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Ravenger
As retgwte says, bus lanes times seem to change randomly and are difficult to keep track of. With councils now using automated enforcement of bus lanes all it takes is for you to miss one sign and you've got a fine in the post. Is it no wonder that many people stay out of them altogether, just to be on the safe side?

As I've said previously, it's about time bus lane styles and times were made consistent and simple so just looking at the bus lane is enough to know its time of operation.
push in... get cheesed off with you...

But surely, retgwte, when the bus lane is just another lane as it is outside the posted hours, and ends leaving only one lane, you cooperate in zip-merging like all the other drivers who aren't thick?

:o}

Edited by Lud on 07/03/2009 at 16:10

This bus lane is quite long though and only has one time zone, as its a local road most the traffic will be local so even if the first few times people are unsure there is no excuse for not checking. I will take some pictures of it sometime but it is very clearly marked and the writing is quite big. I know some bus lanes are not clear and I can understand people keeping out of them but this one could not be more clearly marked.

I think its much more a case of sheep folliwng sheep rather than people keeping out as they are not sure what the times of operation is. I admit myself I always keep out of lanes until I know for sure I can go in them (and I do always check its safe to do so before moving in!).

Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - quizman
Rattle, you ought to be a driving instructor. It looks as if it is a good job, you would get a newish car. I once saw a film about driving instructors, Tony Blair's father in law was the owner of the driving school. They had some fun with some of the learners, better than my job lambing sheep at the moment.

What is a bus lane, we don't have them out in the country?
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - retgwte
a bus lane is where half the road that you have paid for (after all its the car drivers tax substantially payin for the roads) is given over to phantom buses

there are some classic bus lanes like the ones in Reading which hold the cars behind red lights to let buses through into and out of their lanes, adding to congestion, and operating at night and all day sunday WHEN THERE ARE NO BUSES RUNNING, thats right not only taking up half the road but holding cars up at red lights when there arnt even any buses running

they you get the bus lanes used as the private lane of police and VIPs, ask Prescott he was for ever being driven around london and the M4 in bus lanes in the back of his Jag, the same is similar for diplolats etc in London etc, I'm told its going to get even worse in the run up to and during the olympics when allsorts of weird and wonderful folk will suddendly become VIPs and allowed to use bus lanes

the you get the odd bus on the roads, often with one or two people in it, running heavily subsidised from the public purse and throwing out way more pollution per passenger than a car when they are running with so few customers

the system like much else in this country is a sham
I get the buses a lot and if its not 3/4 full it seems empty. If you think all bus lanes are useless have a look down Stockport Road [A6] at 8:30 in the morning with all the 192s, all them pretty much full with people standing and all using the bus lane. I would imagine the at least 50,000 people are carried to work on this road in the morning, if they all drove cars into work it would be kaos.

This thread wasn't suspposed to be a debate about bus lanes, they exist my gripe was people not using them when they should. I am sure they are some pointless bus lanes, the one I am talking about in this thread is pretty pointless as there is a bus about every 10-15 mins down this bit of the road, further up where there is no real bus lanes the buses are every 2-3 minutes.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - bathtub tom
>>This thread wasn't suspposed to be a debate about bus lanes

Like the English language, with spelling and grammar. Threads evolve. ;>)
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - ijws15
There is one in Birmingham that they withdrew 3 years ago. The sheep still ignor ethe empty lane

Please don't tell them, it will slow my journeys down.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - b308
There is one in Birmingham that they withdrew 3 years ago.

Mmm, A38 I suspect!

BTW Alanovitch, I think that you are allowed to undertake in those circumstances, but with due care, I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near ever 30mph if I was undertaking stationary traffic... as others have said it's far too easy for one of the sheep to change lanes, or even worse to try to "block" you!
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - quizman
Thanks retwte, I don't think they will catch on. Seems a bit daft really, we don't even have buses out my way.

Then again, Princess Anne once went past my place on the way from East Midlands airport to JCB. I suppose if we had one of these bus lanes, she could have used it.

Sorry to be so thick.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Alanovich
So always pussyfoot and
remain vigilant when undertaking a line of traffic by going down the bus lane.

Undertaking? Only allowed if the traffic you are undertaking is turning right, I thought.

Could one be nicked for doing this in a bus lane?
Well I did that in my test and I passed. It is probably one of them gray areas. Tehcnicaly it is undertaking but if all the other people are in the wrong lane they are in the wrong. It happens on the motorway too there may be a jam on the middle lane, you're in the left lane which is free what are you supposed to do?

Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Mr X
Bus lanes should have the same hours of operation , nationwide. This hotch potch of different times depending on the time of day or night, the day of the week, the area or town you are in is confusing if you miss a sign. I have a length of bus lane in my area that has different times along it's short route ! I should think a lot of people take the ' better safe than sorry " route and don't touch the bus lanes at any time in an attempt to keep clear of the automatic fines.

30 mph means 30mph all through the UK... it doesn't get changed from town to town.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Alanovich
It is probably one of
them gray areas.

Quite possibly, Rattle. Highway Code Rule 163 states:

"Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so.

Stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left. "

This implies to me that it would be wrong to move into the bus lane (or any other come to that), but one would be safe from prosecution in the event of a collision if one had been in the bus lane all the time, i.e. from the start point of that lane.

This rule implies that those who do not move into the bus lane when already in an outer lane, are in fact following the Highway Code (even if they don't know it). Those who change lanes are leaving themselves open in the event of a problem.

Good job we've got lawyers to sort it all out, eh? ;-)
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Sofa Spud
The only bus lanes I see regularly are in Bristol. They are surfaced red and appear to be 24-hour, although they don't all say so. Hardly any cars drive in them and I'm not about to start doing so!
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - stan10
Ref the "undertaking" in bus lanes, surely if you are not allowed to "undertake" then there is no point at all in having these lanes?

Agree with the points made about "undertaking" carefully though, (actually i don't believe it is undertaking - it's just one lane moving faster than another, but in the real world, it does make me wonder if these lanes are not actually hazardous)?

Ever since bus/taxi lanes were first proposed, i have been unable to understand exactly what makes a person in a bus or a taxi more important than a person in a car, (either driver or passenger), and IMO these lanes increase rather than decrease general traffic congestion.

To comment on the "thick" part of the OP - could that be a bit harsh? One of the reasons that keen motorists ( most - if not all BR's?) suffer frustration on the roads is because that, to most people a car is just another appliance, like a mobile phone, a kettle, iron, TV, or computer, and the finer points of driving just don't register.
Rattle, don't be frustrated by other people's lack of awareness here, just chill, and be content that you are using the system to it's fullest, and are developing skills that most people just don't have.
Ever since bus/taxi lanes were first proposed, i have been unable to understand exactly what makes a person in a bus or a taxi more important than a person in a car, (either driver or passenger), and IMO these lanes increase rather than decrease general traffic congestion.

Probably right on both counts stan 10. There's a case for making taxis subject to the same regulations as other cars if you ask me. But there are places where congestion is so severe at some times that priority is given to public transport in the hope that it will improve enough to persuade more people to use it instead of their cars, with benefits to all...

I don't mind the principle of bus lanes. What I mind is mean-spirited or money-grubbing enforcement of their regulations (a ticket for a couple of wheels in there for a moment, without causing an obstruction, is just infuriating and turns law-abiding people against the system) and the tendency of certain local authorities to spread them over the whole road when it isn't necessary even for those vile Cairo-style articulated buses.
What makes them more important - nothing?

But in Manchester there can be upto 130 people on a bus (ilegal but it does happen, a bus driver has even admitted it) as most people just travel solo in cars that probably the same as 80 cars. Of course the bus should have piority over the car. I am really for bus lanes in bus areas with very frequent buses the ones I am against are the ones the one I made this thread about, the bus frequency is too iregular to make it worth bothering with.

As for the person from Bristol you have done the right thing, if there is no signs with times on it it means the bus lane is in operation 24/7 and you must never enter it, unless you have to e.g broken down vehicle in front but even then I would not be surprised if you got a ticket through your door :(
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - smokie
"I don't mind the principle of bus lanes. What I mind is mean-spirited or money-grubbing enforcement of their regulations (a ticket for a couple of wheels in there for a moment, without causing an obstruction,"

Do you know for fact that that has actually happened anywhere, apart from in the Daily Mail? :-)
Yes smokie, I do because it has happened to me.
Bus lanes - Are people just thick? - Mr X
In my neck of the woods, a stretch of dual carriageway that was never particularly busy, had a lane chopped on both sides to make a bus lane.
They are 24/7 lanes.
Yet, buses start at 6am , two an hour until 10 am then it is one an hour till 4pm. Two an hour till 7pm and then back to one until they cease at 11.pm.
The real joke is that on one side, it can zoom up it's special lane but at the end, has to try and get in to the line of traffic on the right in order to do a right turn at the r/bout.
Not surprisingly, the traffic queueing in the right hand lane is some what reluctant to let it in .