1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - zookeeper
hi room, im having trouble with the rear window defrost, when i apply the switch the led lights up so i dont think its that or the relay, i also disconnected the wire going to the element and its reading 11.59 volts , i cant see any visible breaks in the actual element so im at a bit of a loss also the high vis brake light doesnt work either but both normal brake lights work ok i hope the MOT guy doesnt pull me up on it..thanks
1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - Dynamic Dave
also the high vis brake light doesnt work either but both normal brake lights work
ok i hope the MOT guy doesnt pull me up on it..thanks

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_130.htm

Additional stop lamps

Any additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

High level stop lamps

These are lamps usually fitted in the rear window or boot spoiler of a vehicle and may consist of a number of light sources.
The lamp is one unit, so as long as at least one of the light sources illuminates when the brake pedal is pressed the lamp is deemed to be working.

From how I read the above statements, make it clear to the tester that the high level brake light is disconnected.
1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - mjm
Assuming that the high level brake light is attached to the hatch, the next step is to check that there is an earth between the hatch and the body. This would be a common link.
1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - piston power
If both don't work make sure you have a good earth.

Put the heater screen put a piece of wire to the other end to earth it should work then.

I suspect were ever it earths it's corroded ,maybe the hinges or pins on the boot lid etc.
1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - Peter D
Turn the heater on and measure the voldage at the power end connector then at the earth end of the heater element, this should be close to zero, then disconnect that end and mesaure the voltage on the emelent end of the connection. Are you sure the high level ligh is not a duff bulb. Regards Peter
1998 1.4 rear window defrost not working - zookeeper
thanks for the replies, i was going to try a new bulb in the brake light but i cant seem to find a way of getting into the damned thing, they dont do a haynes manual for these models...thanks again all