newbie auction/ebay - sooty123
hi, I need to buy a cheap car, £350 max, to use in a charity race. Having never bought at either before what is the best place to buy. I've hunted around on ebay, but I live in the countryside and bangers are few and far between and I work weird shifts so it can be a bit of a problem getting to see them. An auction is obviously risky but I can buy it and be gone in a couple of hours. Oh I've also got my eye on 1990 325 with 170k anyone ever owned one, anything to watch out for?
newbie auction/ebay - oldnotbold
For charity races think simple cars;

Fiat Uno, Skoda Favorit, older Cavaliers, Mk2 Golf - in fact anything with a carb, not EFI, so that's 1990 or older.

Edited by oldnotbold on 27/02/2009 at 12:03

newbie auction/ebay - FotheringtonThomas
There's a '95 Cavalier 2.0 on autotrader for three hundred quid.
newbie auction/ebay - mike hannon
Where will this charity 'race' take place. Not on the road, I hope?
There are so many of these charity rallies these days it must be a cause of congestion in southern England, I should think.
Good luck anyway. I'd try to find an old Honda Accord or a Toyota Carina. Most of the bits are still likely to work and the engine would have to be in a pretty dire state not to function well enough to get you there.
newbie auction/ebay - sooty123
went down to the auction last, it was hard at first to spot who was making the bids. Seemed a bit odd no-one wanted it be known they had made a bid. It was quite fun in the end, some cars were making very little saab 900 96 plate went for £250. Yes the race will take place on the road, I don't think there are that many races in S. England, we are only traveling through to europe.