05 1.8 - intermittent clutch problems - taxijan
Hows this? I run two 05 galaxys, deisel within my cab company. Had an intermittent gear change problem and also dreadful clutch burn when in traffic, on one of them. Fitted x3 clutches, (some even free from Ford). Had Ford Tech look at gearbox. No problem says they. Master cylinders, etc., pipes etc. everything changed more than once! On going problem for over a year, difficulty sometimes selecting first and reverse. Struggling to get gears without the aid of a 10lb hammer was not a good look as far as customers concerned.

Fords technical help reply, no known problem. My sheer coincidence, overheard complaining by a Gearbox guy. He says, I KNOW WHAT IT IS. Turns out, although Fords know of no problem, there is a replacement modified gearbox housing produced, by Fords!

It has now cost me 1400 squid. Which I actually dont mind, as it gets my car back on the road, and working correctly.

What I do mind is that Fords know there is a problem, hence the modification but they will not offer any information on it. Is there not something we can do.

Also, I noticed several owners complaining of clutch burn, this is one of the early signs we had with this gearbox problem. Can we make people aware of this

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/02/2009 at 10:14