Right to repair - P.Mason {P}
I received an MOT reminder from my (small independent) garage today, together with a leaflet from the 'Right to repair' campaign. Any car owner who would wish to retain their choice of using an independent garage for servicing and repairs after 2010 should visit:

www.r2rc.co.uk

{make/model deselected as this relates to any car}

Edited by Pugugly on 26/02/2009 at 21:16

right to repair - William Stevenson
I have signed up to this campaign, despite having a simple car that presumably doesn't have Can-bus computerised communication between components. I find that the local independent knows what's wrong with the car from the description and his long experience, before I've even brought it in. Even from a selfish view of my own interests, I don't want him or his like to disappear. I know that when he says he's done something, he actually has done it, and makes a fair charge.
right to repair - yorkiebar
Whether you support main dealer or an independant I think this is an important issue to support.

If you drive the independants out through lack of info/equipment or whatever it will increase dealer prices through lack of competition. It will also shorten the life of a vehicle through prohibitive costs, which will affect the trade in price of your car.

Im an independant and biased, obviously, but I do see the need for the right to repair; even if you dont use the indie!
right to repair - Number_Cruncher
I think this is an important issue to support.

But what exactly is the website asking for support for?

right to repair - P.Mason {P}
NumberCruncher,
I assume from the information and poll on the site that it's a petition against the proposed EU law forcing car owners to have their cars repaired and serviced at main dealers, and to have to use manufacturer's original parts. It must concern a few million UK motorists...
P.
right to repair - Number_Cruncher
>>I assume

Yes, but is that actually true? Are these laws truly going to close out the independant sector? The website is quite good at scaremongering, and very poor at providing links to any solid facts. I don't know enough, and I can't glean enough from there to decide whether to support it or not.
right to repair - jbif
.. The website is quite good at scaremongering, and very poor at providing links to any solid facts. .. >>

Agree.
It is a poorly laid out website, with articles and "news" items which are undated.
This "news" item www.r2rc.co.uk/home/content/view/28/87/
seems to me to say that there is probably no cause for concern.

However, there is another EU proposed change which may affect consumers via SOGA, but which will benefit Traders. I think Yorkiebar may be pleased:

www.lawcom.gov.uk/docs/cp188.pdf
"CONSUMER REMEDIES FOR FAULTY GOODS"

www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/oft_response_to_...f
"Consumer remedies for faulty goods A consultation response by the Office of Fair Trading - February 2009"

right to repair - Bagpuss
I agree with Number_Cruncher.

I don't understand what these guys are fighting for.

The only reference to any legislation I can find on that website refers to the abolition of the Block Exemption Regulation for the car industry in 2010. This block exemption was introduced in 2002 to allow car manufacturers to continue the practice of selling through exclusive dealer chains thereby protecting them from competition. Its abolition should change this, therefore increasing the amount of competition and I would have thought we as consumers should therefore welcome this change. I don't see that there will be any direct effect on independent repairers.

Normally the car manufacturers would be up in arms about this. The reason they aren't is because they are already too busy lobbying against other proposed legislation (Euro 6, recycling).

If I am wrong here, or have overseen something, then I am happy to be corrected.
right to repair - Rattle
If the law was what that website says it was the proposed law under EU law would be ilegal.
right to repair - adverse camber
I'm with number_cruncher and bagpuss.

This has been raised before several times eg
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72001&...f

But nobody ever comes back to explain anything....

Edited by adverse camber on 27/02/2009 at 12:30

"However, there is another EU proposed change which may affect consumers via SOGA, but which will benefit Traders. I think Yorkiebar may be pleased:"

I really couldnt be bothered to read all that!

Why do you think I will be pleased? Do you simply not understand what i was explaining?

And to NC, yes I agree the website is not actually very good at being specific!
right to repair - jbif
... Why do you think I will be pleased? >>

Please note use of: "will" and "may".

Do you simply not understand what i was explaining? ... >>

I am afraid that it seems my understanding of English is different to yours.

" am afraid that it seems my understanding of English is different to yours."

Obviously!

i have been pointing out how a particular case was flawed.

You assume I think the trader needs more protection.

oh well!