Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - BobbyG
First of all I am hearing this second hand so can't vouch personally for all the details but would like any advice / pointers that can be offered.

The son of a female colleague had a bump when reversing his car out the car park at uni yesterday. Not a mark on his Polo but there was a scratch to the front bumper of car he hit. Bumper was also slightly loose but this was an M Reg car so not sure if that was already like that.

The son , maybe naively, swapped details with the other guy. When he got home, he spoke to his dad (retired policeman) and his dad suggested contacting the guy to see if they could just pay to get any damage fixed rather than involving insurance company. However they were reluctant to do this.

Today the son's insurance company have been on the phone saying they have been notified of a claim of damage and whiplash to 2 people.

Now son is adamant there was only one person there and obviously damage would suggest such a low speed impact.

What is their best course of action here? Demand immediate inspections of both cars? That won't prove anything re there being 2 people? Could they go to local police station and lodge a complaint of attempted fraud?

As I say, getting this all second hand, no reason to disbelieve any of it, and I am almost as angry as his mother that folk can try this con. I will be even angrier if they get away with it!
Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - Hamsafar
Many people consider a whiplash claim to be recompense for the hassle of dealing with insurance companies.

If there has been an alleged injury, you should report the accident to the Police as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so anyway.

The insurance company won't payout for at least a year and there will have to be evidence from medical professionals and of loss incurred in order for a payment to be made. I wouldn't interfere too much.
Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - dacouch
Speak to your Insurers and explain everything to them, if possible take photographs of where this happened, the damage to your car and if possible the damage to their vehicle

If he has an accident again tell him to do the above and take pictures of any one in the other car.

Your Insurers will not want to pay out anything they should not so any evidence you give will help.

Were there any witnesses as this will help a lot.

The other people have had what in the Insurance world is the "Pub Effect" they have gone to the pub spoken to their friends and been told they are on a nice little earner here. They then decide to for an injury claim and extra passengers will appear. Your Insurers will no doubt ask the other driver what purpose was the trip and why the other passenger was in the vehicle etc.

Like I said speak to your Insurers, this happens an awfull lot and they will have set procedures to help get to the bottom of this.
Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - jbif
... reversing his car out the car park at uni yesterday. Not a mark on his Polo but there was a scratch to the front bumper of car he hit. ... >>

This is the first time I have ever heard of whiplash injury caused by reversing in to the front of a vehicle. All previous cases I had heard about were where the oposite action caused the whiplash.

Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - jbif
Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud

www.rjw.co.uk/news-events/directnews/insurers-near...d

www.1stclaims.co.uk/articles/whiplash/whiplash-com...p

Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - MVP
My brother worked for an insurance company - whiplash was once a £7k payout by the insurers to "make it go away"

However, this scam became so well known that insurance companies are now highly suspicious of these claims.

I would contact the person they hit, and ask for the two names suffering whiplash, so they can report the names/injuries to the police - this should scare-off any scamsters

MVP
Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - Chris S
A woman tried to claim damages for whiplash after I drove in to her, she even had a doctor's report.

Unfortunately she didn't try claiming for her son who she dropped of at nursery school first.

The case was thrown out.

Edited by Chris S on 18/02/2009 at 12:32

Advice reqd re Whiplash fraud - Lygonos
Contact the Police if you are suspicious that someone is trying to defraud you or your insurer (as well as your insurer obviously).

As you say, the information you have is second hand so the 'facts' need to be determined.