03 1.4 CVT has recently become jerky - Ricky7
Hi all,

I bought a 2003 Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT 9 months ago. It had 21,000 miles on the clock, and since then I've driven ~1,100 miles. I only drive infrequently, usually ~8 miles a week, with occasional motorway trips every couple of months.

1 month ago I noticed whilst driving on the motorway that the engine was a bit jerky at high speeds but low revs.

Since then I've noticed that it is jerky at lower speeds to, when at low revs (1,000 - 1,400 revs). It feels a bit like the car is about to stall.

I've booked the car in for a service and MOT on Wednesday (as it is due soon).

Is the problem due to blocked or faulty EGR valves, or is it due to CVT transmission fluid needing changing?

Should I ask them to look at or do anything specific in order to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Edited by Pugugly on 16/02/2009 at 23:54

03 1.4 CVT has recently become jerky - Bill Payer
Should I ask them to look at or do anything specific in order to fix
the problem?

I would have thought it best to describe the problem and let the dealer sort it out - if you try to diagnose it yourself then you might send them on a bum steer.

EGR is a known issue on lightly used Jazz (and some other cars). I think Honda may replace whether in warranty or not, although 6 years old might be stretching it, unless the car has a used warranty.

Did you buy the car from a Honda dealer, and do you know the transmission fluid has ever been changed?
03 1.4 CVT has recently become jerky - Ricky7
Ok, that's probably good advice that I should just describe the problem.

I bought it from an independent dealer, although at the time he said that he had just bought it from a Honda dealer.

I don't know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed, but I guess probably not, since it was a low mileage car.

Edited by Ricky7 on 17/02/2009 at 13:06

03 1.4 CVT has recently become jerky - theeruditefrog
Hi,

Anything happen - did it get sorted?

Our Jazz has developed a judder between 1700 and 2000 rpm when under gentle acceleration or cruising.

Very annoying as I like to change gear at around 2000 revs.

Sounds like a sensor's gone?

Tony.
03 1.4 CVT has recently become jerky - Colliewobble
Tony,
Had similar problem on our 52 Jazz.

As it was under warranty from Dealer we got the EGR valve changed shortly after we got it (?
5 yrs ago) and the juddering stopped.

Roll on to end of last year and it started it again (but a more subtle judder).

I replaced the CVT fluid and all has been well since.

The original spec fluid was ATF-Z1 ; but now there is a 'proper' fluid (CVT-F) which is what I used.