Private or Dealer? - Miketheman
I am wanting to buy a BMW Z3 2.8 - these are expensive cars, so is it worth the risk of buying privately and saving some money (and have a much wider range to choose from!) or should I play it safe and get one from a dealer?

Does anyone have any feedback about how good the AA/RAC are at checking cars?

Cheers,

Mike
Private or Dealer? - Steve G
I would not rely on a AA/RAC inspection.
I have had cars AA/RAC inspected by private purchasers and the amount of things they miss is worrying.
The AA guy did not even look at the log book/mot/service history.
The most amazing thing was the hand sized parking dent in the front wing going unnoticed. The private purchaser phoned me the evening following the inspection and asked if i had the wing repaired ! ,because they had noticed it on their initial viewing prior to inspection. It gave them little confidence in the rest of the report.
If you can find a good car privately have it HPI'd then arrange for a BMW garage to check it over. You can buy warranties privately but IMO you will be better off sticking £500 in a savings account.
Good luck
Private or Dealer? - The Watcher
If you can find a good clean example with service history (invoices as well as service book stamps!) I'd consider buying private.

As has been suggested I'd deffo get an HPI check as younever know if the seller has stopped paying the 'never - never' and may not have legal title to sell it.

If the seller is genuine, he'd also allow you to get a local BM dealer have a look at it