1989 1.9 possible fuel filter problem - tizadu
Hello. I bought my diesel car a few months back & have been really pleased with it. There is one problem however & wanted to ask some advice before starting to hunt for a car part

For the first few weeks after I bought it the 'water in fuel filter' indicater would go on & then go off by itself. Then I stupidly put petrol instead of diesel in one night. So it was cleaned out at a garage & they changed the fuel filter but when I tried to start it to leave the garage, it wouldn't start! And several times after that my indicators wouldn't work.
To cut a long story short, since then 98% of the time in wet/damp weather I have to manually pump the filter a few times before I can get the car started if it's been standing some time.
Took it back to the garage; they changed the copper rings near the filter but it made no difference & told me I need a new fuel pump.
Recently my radio will cut out - often when I'm going round a bend.

I just wanted to ask for some opinions on whether it does seem like I need a new fuel pump before I start hunting for old Peugeot spare parts (new one £60!)

Thanks
1989 1.9 possible fuel filter problem - Andrew-T
Used parts - try Car Transplants website (near Nantwich).
1989 1.9 possible fuel filter problem - Peter.N.
I don't know which fuel pump they are talking about but to my knowledge it only has one, thats the injection pump and that would be £500+ but its very unlikely to be the problem. What you have is a classic case of air ingress, if the fuel primer is of the plunger type rather than the rubber bulb, its quite likely that the diaphragm is leaking. You could try temporararly bypassing the filter, making sure you dont get any dirt into the system, and see if it starts OK. You will probably have to crank it over a bit to get the air out. Fitting a section of clear plastic tube on the input to the pump will allow you to see any air bubbles.