Where are the bargains ?? - Roly93
I have just started looking for a car for SWMBO, probably a Focus with around £8K budget. What I'd like to know is where are all of these supposed credit-crunch bargains we hear about ? As far as I can see these cars are selling at the same sort of prices (age + mileage) that they were back in Oct last year. If anything there is less availablity that there was then.

I am very willing to be proved wrong, what is going on ?

Is this a motor trade strategy of making sure no matter what that price erosion will not take place ?

Edited by Roly93 on 08/02/2009 at 11:44

Where are the bargains ?? - FocusDriver
Simply fewer people buying new and opting for nearly-new or used so stocks diminishing slightly. HJ's auction reports are showing that used cars were at their cheapest in December 2008 and now on the increase.

The good thing about Focuses though, there'll always be plenty around so you should be able to still be a bit choosy even if prices are a little inflated.
Where are the bargains ?? - Robin Reliant
Parked on a drive in Milford Haven for the last couple of months, a jaded looking 5 Series BMW on an E plate complete with Carlos Fandango spoiler, private sale notice on it £2300!

Optimist of the year, I should think.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 08/02/2009 at 12:11

Where are the bargains ?? - smokie
I've been buying a 57 plate Mondeo over the past week from a main dealer. They certainly had a turnover of newly new cars, and each time there were quite a few people browsing, and/or sitting talking the the sales people, so I don't think it's just hype.
Where are the bargains ?? - Roly93
Yes indeed an optimist. I was brought up in South Pembs, and it was always an appauling place to buy used cars!
Where are the bargains ?? - midlifecrisis
The problem I've found is that forecourt cars haven't fallen in price at all. However, when it comes time to value your p/x, there's much sucking of teeth and mentions of credit crunch. (And I'm talking small hatch, not V8 4X4).

Most optimistic pricing I've seen lately, is a 55 reg Focus 1.6 LX, up at £7995. Only £3000 over priced.
Where are the bargains ?? - motorprop
On a driveway in NW11 for the past year : T reg petrol Freelander , with a £3500 price tag...
Where are the bargains ?? - xtrailman
just bought a new xtrail 171, with a saving of £8400 of new.
Thats the only reason i bought, gave old xtrail to my son. So dealer made little from my deal.
Where are the bargains ?? - ifithelps
Nissan were selling decent spec diesel Qashqais for £12k a few weeks ago - about £8-£9k under list.

The offer was to 'family and friends' of those who worked there - anyone who happened to find out about it.

I think it was a genuine offer on a certain number of cars sitting in the compound.

My mole in the factory in Sunderland tells me some of the staff missed out and there have been some complaints to management.

Edited by ifithelps on 08/02/2009 at 17:17

Where are the bargains ?? - Andrew-T
>Nissan were selling decent spec diesel Qashqais ..

I must ask SiL who works in Rickmansworth ...
Where are the bargains ?? - Blue {P}
My mole in the factory in Sunderland tells me some of the staff missed out
and there have been some complaints to management.

Well they shouldn't be complaining that much, my aunt works there and has already turned down a brand new Qashqai for £10K as she would rather pay down the mortgage. If I had £10K I'd be tempted to buy one myself at that price...

Where are the bargains ?? - DP
Parked on a drive in Milford Haven for the last couple of months a jaded
looking 5 Series BMW on an E plate complete with Carlos Fandango spoiler private sale
notice on it £2300!

Are you sure it's not £23.00?? ;-)

Where are the bargains ?? - CGNorwich
The real bargains are in new cars.

DTD are currently offering a Focus 1.6 Zetec for £11,054 which is a massive £5,475 off list. I know many on this forum don't believe in buying new cars but at the moment with new car prices so depressed and demand increasing the prices for nearly new there is a lot be said for considering buying new
Where are the bargains ?? - bazza1603
Dealer next to me has Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 5 door styles in dark metallics pre reg end Jan 09 for £9995. 57 1.6 Styles new shapes 5 doors for £7995

I have been looking at cars for 2 weeks and was surprised to see how busy dealers actually are.

However some bigger dealers have forecourts full of rubbish. Cars under 1 years old which look decent prices, but come with some majorly offputting parking dings, flat tyres
etc make you run for the hills when you actually view the cars.
Where are the bargains ?? - MVP
A friend bought a brand new (not pre-reg) Vectra 1.9 petrol with lots of toys, and paid extra for paintwork/interior protection and parking sensors for about £9,300 OTR

If that's not a bargain, I don't what is

MVP