Warranty invalidated by National? - Ubi
Just had the strangest conversation with National Tyre Service while trying to book my 325D for an oil change. In the end they told me I would be ?better off? taking it to BMW because their work would invalidate the warranty through the use of non standard parts.

It was not what I expected to hear. My lay understanding of the legal position is that the warranty is not invalidated providing that parts meeting the manufacturer?s specification are used.

Anyone have experience of this?

This is not a name and shame exercise. If their advice is correct their unusual candour may have done me a huge favour.

made vehicle non-specific.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/02/2009 at 16:59

Warranty invalidated by National? - Rattle
In otherwords they won't fit an OEM oil filter and the oil may not even be to correct standards (though I am sure they do use the correct oil).

I don't think they have done anything here just been very honest with you. If the use of pattern parts is for another thread really and has been discussed before.

If it was me I would be a little shocked about what they have said but at least think they are honest. Apparently some indies will not even touch cars that are still under warranty.

Edited by Honestjohn on 03/02/2009 at 16:23

Warranty invalidated by National? - BobbyG
Encountered this when I had my Scenic.

National would use their own oil filters. I spoke to Renault dealer who advised that if anything resulted in a warranty claim, it would probably be used "against" me. He did not say it would definitely not be honoured but I got the impression it could be the difference between automatically getting the go ahead and having to haggle and wait till Renault had made a decision.
It would depend what the claim was, if it was a faulty electric seat then I don't see how they could get out of the claim, but certainly any engine problems they would rightly use as a get out clause. As has been discussed so many times OEM parts have gone through so much testing where as pattern parts have not.
Warranty invalidated by National? - Chas{P}
This is a total misunderstanding by the National Tyre Service sales prevention department.

Under EU Block Exemption rules as long as they use parts and lubricants of 'OE matching quality' then they'd be fine.

HTH
Warranty invalidated by National? - BobbyG
I don't dispute what you say Chas but I feel this is unfair on manufacturers? Who is the onus on to say that these are OE matching quality?

If I build a computer system for someone who then gets someone else to make changes to it, and then they come back to me when it stops working I know what my answer would be!
Warranty invalidated by National? - Pugugly
What BMW would be looking at in the event of a filter failure is the blue propeller mark on the filter or its goodbye claim I would say. I remember in the early 80s that Honda motorcycle filters were recommended on DIY oil changes - pattern filters were fitted at your peril and Honda would wash their hands of any claim. I wouldn't put a non-BMW filter on one if the car was within warranty to save a couple of bob.
Warranty invalidated by National? - motorprop
exactly , not worth messing with pattern parts in Ist 3 years, especially on a valuable car like say a less than 3 y.o BMW. My question is : If the car has a 3 year warantee, then shouldn't it be imperative for the owner to book in the 3rd service before the 3 years are up ? This way, if the service dept highlights additional work, then you have a chance to at least argue on it being a claim. If you forget and have the 3rd service done after 3 years , then you've basically lost the cover of warantee straight after the 2nd service ( unless the car had to come in for another matter ? )

Or am I missing something ? have owned 2 cars from new , both sold after about two and a half years
Warranty invalidated by National? - Chas{P}
See what you're saying but the law came in to untie vehicles from dealer servicing within warranty periods and give consumers more servicing choices.

The manufacturer of the aftermarket parts has to make the matching quality statement.

In practice most warranty claims I come across are, in the vast majority of cases, down to fitting errors or poor workshop practice rather than product quality. Here are some examples:

- Water pumps come back leaking looking like they've been pumping gravy because the cooling system has not been flushed or the antifreeze renewed which any DIYer would do.

- Timing belt tensioners on VAG diesels not fitted correctly and snapping the location peg on the back.

- Thermostats for K series returned faulty with a susequent head gasket claim. Head gasket was gone before the thermostat was replaced.

- MINI Oil filters faulty - no oil pressure - try pressing the element fully into the housing.

Warranty invalidated by National? - 659FBE
As there is no system of quality assurance in place for parts such as oil filters, it's entirely reasonable for a vehicle manufacturer to wash his hands of any (in this case, engine) problems resulting from the fitment of non OE parts.

I spent some time in my first engineering job sectioning filters (used oil filters are messy) and the differences are considerable. There are many makes I would never ever fit.

I serviced my VAG car whilst it was under warranty, despite their "long life" claims. I saved all of the old filters (oil filter again, very messy as it's a bare element on a PD diesel) for the duration of the warranty. Had there been an engine problem, they would have gone back in.

Many people who have spent some time in the trade will get to know the good pattern makes - I will name Mann & Hummel as one of the very best. Some of the others are dire - one "own brand" example from a popular high street auto retailer had an element which rattled inside its spin-on can when shaken...

Edited by 659FBE on 03/02/2009 at 17:53

Warranty invalidated by National? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I understand that some pattern filters do not have a non-return valve in them. The effect is for the filter contents to drain into the sump and when the car is started the oil pump has to fill the filter before any oil gets to the rotating bits that need it and are running 'dry' for a few seconds.
Warranty invalidated by National? - 659FBE
The testing of this function was a large part of the work I did. The valves are always there in my experience (if you have specified the right filter); the problem is that many don't work - or don't work for long.

My un-named example had an anti-drain valve which consisted of a moulded rubber flap over the circle of holes which serve as an inlet. Any polymer when subjected to hot oil for lengthy periods will lose its preload and leak - as these always do. The SAAB I had at the time had a hydraulically tensioned timing chain, so I learned all about the effects of leaking anti-drain valves.

The Mann & Hummel (no connections, of course) version has a proper sealing washer, metal backing plate and a coil spring to provide sealing force. They don't leak. This company supplies filters as OE for several "quality" vehicle makers. They used to supply SAAB until GM came along...

Warranty invalidated by National? - jbif
Ubi:
I think it depends what National mean by "use of non standard parts."

For a layman's guide to ?Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002? , see
www.boschcarservice.co.uk/pdf/warranty.pdf

Current campaign to extend "Right to Repair?:
www.r2rc.co.uk/home/component/option,com_frontpage.../

Warranty invalidated by National? - Bill Payer
The daft, in my view, thing about these fast fit places doing cheap oil changes is that they apparently won't use the original manufacturer oil filter even if you buy it yourself and take it with you.
Warranty invalidated by National? - Dave N
Trying to prove they are of similar quality is always going to be hard (or impossible) to prove.

Theres even a get-out clause on that document from the link:

Note: This leaflet is intended to introduce the interested
parties to the topic of BER. It should not be taken as a
definition of the law or proposed laws. Whilst every care
has been taken in the compilation of this leaflet, the ADF
can accept no liability for any event arising from its use.

With such weasily words, it's no wonder a largish company like National isn't going to risk standing behind the aftermarket products or the EU regulation.
But they are happy to risk engine damange once the car is out of warranty? The reason the car manufacturers say none OEM parts affect warranty is that they can damage the car, there has been plenty of posts here from people with bad experience from pattern filters.

The same goes on tyres, I am quite shocked how many decent 3-4 year old cars out there have cheap tyres fitted to them and I wonder if one day an insurance company will use that as a get out clause because the tyres are none OEM?

Warranty invalidated by National? - Blue {P}
They'd have a hard time trying that one if the tyres meet the releveant EU standards (which they must or else they wouldn't be on sale).

Also, on the engine oil point, nearly any independant who have been going for even a short space of time are now well aware of the Ford engine's dependance on 5W30 and they use it. As such, i really wouldn't let this be a reason not to buy a Zetec/Duratec, it's 2009, they've been on the go and using semi-synth since about 1993 IIRC :-)

Warranty invalidated by National? - Altea Ego
I always think that if you cant afford to have the car serviced by the maunfacturer during its warranty you cant afford to buy the car.

Its also an investment. I for one would not buy a car with no manufacutrers servicing during the first three years.,