New car - John Sheridan
I'm shortly going to be looking for a new or nearly new car.

I quite like the Fiat Grande Punto but wondering which one is the best petrol version - has to be 3-door.

I've looked for the Fiat Grande Punto Abarth but cannot find any for sale.
New car - doctorchris
Hi John, good choice of car especially used, as that is where you should be looking.
You're not getting many replies because you are not specific enough regarding your requirements. Forget the Abarth, it is not available in enough numbers to make it cost effective.
Let us all know more about what you want from your Fiat and we let you know our opinions.
In addition, don't forget the Panda 100HP which provies storming performance for little money.
New car - Falkirk Bairn
Puntos New cars at Big Discounts

www.honestjohn.co.uk/best_deals/item.htm?id=5679
New car - John Sheridan
Thanks for your replies.

My drive to-and-from work is 9miles each way - some of it dual-carriageway so can do a reasonable speed. I also play in a band and they practice twice a week - this involves a motorway drive of 26 miles each way.

I'm looking for a car with enough "guts" for motorway driving and has a reasonable boot - as need to carry a largeish instrument, and sometimes IT equipment.

I've currently got a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4SRi which is coming-up to 50k on the clock and is about 4-years old.

I looked at the new Corsa but was not impressed by the thick front pillars (nice blind spots!) and boot lip looked awkward, rear vision also was not too good.

The new Fiesta looks nice but seriously overpriced.

I am hoping to get around £3.5-4k for my current car and can go up to £11k in total re. budget for new car.
New car - doctorchris
I think you need to look at the GP 1.4 T-jet with its turbo-charged petrol engine. It's not a total ball of fire but a compromise of power, torque, economy and sensible running costs.
I've driven a new Corsa, the 1.4 Design edition that my daughter bought and I don't like it due to its weight and poor all round visibility.
New car - krs one
Does it have to be Petrol?

The next most powerful Punto after the Abarth is the 1.9 multijet diesel, with 130 bhp.
In a car this size that should give you a decent a bit of grunt.

Failing that, how about a Colt CZT? 150 bhp in a practical and good looking package.

Quicker than the Abarth due to it's low weight.

New car - bbroomlea{P}
We bought a pre-reg grande punto stripe in November and so far so good. Even though its a basic model it still has bluetooth, ipod connectivity, computer etc - blue&me is great!

We have a 1.2 which in hindsight is a little underpowered for the 45 mile fast dual carriageway my wife has to travel to and from work, however it is returning 45mpg with ease. We testdrove the 1.9 diesel and the 1.4 16v as well and they certainly have more power - particularly the diesel - just couldnt justify the extra they were wanting at the time as she doesnt exactly charge about!
New car - PR {P}
The GPunto is an excellent choice, but........

www.thecarpeople.co.uk

Search for Fiat Bravos, there are some seriously good value ones out there now. Extremely good car and very under rated.

Edited by PR {P} on 03/02/2009 at 20:18

New car - AlanGowdy
5 year warranty with both the Bravo and the GP.
New car - dnc1781
See autotrader.co.uk -

Grande Punto:

new 1.2 from ..£6200
new 1.4 from ..£6930
new 1.3d from £7646

used 0808 1.2 25 miles .........£5499
used 0858 1.4 85 miles .........£5995
used 0808 1.3d 105 miles .....£6499
used 0958 1.3d 10 miles .......£6995
used 0858 Abarth 500 miles £13990

New car - Another John H
AFAIK the 1.2 must be old stock from the middle of last year, as 5 year warrantee and any other changes were coincident with them dropping the 1.2

Prior to that time it was a 3 year warrantee, and I'll bet that's what you'll get.
New car - tdicub
Had a GP 1.3 Multijet diesel as a hire car for two weeks. Coped well with long motorway runs, handled well & had stood up well as a hire car, it also returned high 50's mpg. A very good all round package, thinking about adding one to the family fleet to replace a very dissapointing Suzuki Swift.
New car - oilrag
I would stay away from the latest Fiat diesels - they all have DPF`s. In fact a Fiat dealer recently told me none of their (latest) diesels were suitable for short journeys - he advised not to buy one.

To OP, the 1.2 petrol would be just fine - why not try a test drive?

You could try to source an earlier 1.3 Multijet diesel, without a DPF. If you do that I would suggest checking the engine number and buying one that has not needed a recall for the defective batch of head gaskets. (or not - depending in how much faith you have in main dealer mechanics) The numbers are listed on HJ`s model specific reviews.
(That said - not sure when DPF`s became standard on the range - or even if they were fitted on introduction)

I have the (pre DPF) 1.3 multijet in a Mk2b - its a superb engine.

Edited by oilrag on 04/02/2009 at 08:16

New car - barneybear
I have just sold a friends 2001 1.2 Punto (£850) which had served him well and have bought him a 2008 Punto 1.2 from Penrith for 5299. Gone for 5 doors as much easier when carrying folk. He also carry's guitars etc for a band and is easy to load. The 1.2 has enough power, but if you like a bit more grunt the 1.4 might be better.
I personnaly have a Megan Estate - huge load area, 1.9 CDi turns in 55mpg+, but with 130bhp boy it can go (6 points now!- ouch - 43 and 44 in 30 zones). Proved to be very sure footed in the snow too
New car - John Sheridan
Been looking around over the weekend and the Fiat Panda Cross also caught my eye.

Any good?
New car - oilrag
Solenoids..

tinyurl.com/d3b3h5

Also if you look at the torque figures for the 1.3 Multijet Panda range and contrast them with the same engine in the Grande Punto -(and the Mk2b) you will see it is less.

It`s a different gearbox in the Panda with the engine torque lowered - allegedly as the GP/Mk2b torque figures on the Multijet would take the box beyond its torque rating.

Edited by oilrag on 08/02/2009 at 18:33

New car - John Sheridan
Interesting reading so looks like the Cross has an electrical fault that keeps cropping-up?

Pity as it looks a good car.

New car - oilrag
Don`t know if there`s more to it John - I was just aware of the thread.
New car - doctorchris
Hi, that's my car on FiatForum and I can confirm that several owners of the Panda Cross, in the UK only as far as we can work out, have experienced a solenoid failure that brings up a "4x4 unavailable" warning. Actually, the 4WD still functions as it is mechanically engaged by a viscous coupling but the fancy electronic trickery does not.
Replacement of the solenoid appears to rectify the fault so I suspect a faulty batch of solenoids.
The Cross itself, fitted at the factory with good winter tyres, is fantastic on ice and snow, a lot better than the petrol-engined Climbing. In addition, its light weight and small dimensions make it more manageable whilst braking and cornering on the slippy stuff than the typical big, heavy 4x4.