1996 1.25 Sqeaky auxiliary drive belt - Roland T
My Fiesta makes a characteristic squeaky sound from the auxiliary drive belt. I've heard other Fiesta's making the same sound and a Focus that drives past my house every morning does the same thing.
I've replaced the the tensioner bearing, the idler and the water pump, though not all at once, so can't rule these out completely. It doesn't have air con or power steering. I wonder if it's the alternator bearing but with the belt off, the bearing seems fine and it's quite an expensive part to replace if not the source of the problem.
I've changed the belt itself which cured the problem for a while, which I don't quite understand, but now it's back.
Any ideas?
1996 1.25 Sqeaky auxiliary drive belt - Woodspeed
Holts make a silicone spray (DON'T USE WD40) which is very good for squeeky rubber belts, and windows that stick in the rubber channels. Or a good squirt of baby powder over it can do the trick too.
1996 1.25 Sqeaky auxiliary drive belt - Roland T
Thanks Woodspeed.
I've used that very spray, though I'm afraid it hasn't worked. This has made me wonder if it's a bearing rather than the belt.
However, I've replaced the belt a couple of times (had the problem for a while but it's getting really annoying now) and the noise stopped for a while both times. This would suggest it's the belt and not a bearing!