306 cutting out - andy6509
Hi,

I got my Peugeot 306 lx 1.4 in Feb 2002, it has been back to the garage at least 10 times since for the same problem. When i am driving the car it will cut out with no warning, all of the power goes, the radio turns off and i am then stranded until the car rolls to a stop. The car will then turn over and start up with no problems. It seems worse when i am running the air con, a little extra load on the engine seems to cause this fault.

I took in back to the garage yesterday 29/08/02 for 20000 miles service and still the cutting off problem. What a suprise they could not find any problems, they now want the car for a week to try and find out what is causing this fault.

I left the garage drove 400 yards and the car cut out, how angry i was, by this time the garage had closed and i was unable to return. It is back with the garage on sept 16th for a week, but has anybody else come across this problem????

Any help please

Andy
306 cutting out - David Davies
Andy

From your description of the symptoms it sounds like either the ignition switch or an ignition relay failing under load.Its impossible to be more specific-sorry!
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
306 cutting out - Ben79
My Xsara 1999 1.4 sometimes used to lose all power when accelerating from standstill, never when moving already. If you put the clutch down quick enough and used half throttle, you could stop the engine from dying. If not, the car could be reatstarted immediately and then be fine for a long time. I changed the coil (4 plug top mounted ones held together in a bar) for a newer design and it has only happened once since (In about 5 times the mileage) compared to many times when using the old coil.

I believe the problem is that the older design of coils can cause interference with the ECU, such interference doesn't appear on the garage's computer when they check as the car doesn't believe it has done anything wrong.

Ben
Hi ben,

I have had the coil changed plus many extra bits, but this fault is intermitant and difficult to pick up, i am sure the garage thinks i am making it up.

The think that worries me is that i can't pull out on junctions when a car is in sight, just in case it cuts out. The safety of my family is at risk because of this fault.

The garage have the car booked in for a week to try and find the problem, if not i have asked for the car to be changed. After 10 visits to the garage, i don't think one more will help, but i will see.

Andy
306 cutting out - Ben79
Does your car loose power both from a standstill and when moving?

Do your coils look like www.cleanburn.co.uk/images/30614.JPG
or are they more rounded, like www.bencowell.co.uk/coil.htm . Also notice the thin wire leaving the multi way plug going to the left. This is an anti-interference thingie, I'm not sure what models it is fitted to, but not to my dad's 206 1.4 which is almost identical in all other respects.

Ben
Hi Ben,

The car only cuts out while i am driving or changing down a gear, all of the lights then come on the dash and once i have stopped it starts with no problems at all.

The coil looks the same as in the first picture, hope this help.....

Andy
306 cutting out - Ben79
I understand that is the older type, if your car is under warranty, the dealer may change them for you, I believe they are expensive. By changing my coil, it made the engine infinitely more reliable.

I would try to get the dealer to change the coil. Do you experience any misfires or flat spots? They are other symptoms that the coil should be changed for the newer type.

Ben
Hi Ben,

I have no misfires, the car does seem to hesitate on some occasion, I have already had the coil changed by the main dealer. I am going to see them later about changing the car, my wife almost has an accident on Friday when the car cut out. I will keep you posted...

Andy
306 cutting out - Ben79
How long have you had the car? Did you buy it from new or used? How many miles? How many times has the dealer tried to fix it?

If the car is new to you, you could speak to a solicitor and consider rejecting the car on the grounds that a car that can't be relied upon 99.99% of the time to accelerate could be considered dangerous and of unfit quality.

The alternative would be to get another dealer to take a look and/or to contact Peugeot HQ and see what they say.

Ben
306 cutting out - BrianW
"How long have you had the car? Did you buy it from new or used? How many miles? How many times has the dealer tried to fix it? "

I think most of the answers are in the original post, i.e.
6 months
? (New or used)

HTH

Hi,

Yes most of the questions have been answered, the car was used when I got it with about 13000 mile's on the clock.

I did go back into the dealers yesterday and asked for the car to be changed, but they said that I had not given them the chance to look at the car in depth!!! It’s been back 5 times since Feb 2002 how much more time do they need to find the problem.

The car cut out again Sunday in the middle of a busy roundabout, my god cars were going all over the place and I thought that this was it, just waiting for a very loud "BANG".

So its back in the garage today, I do not trust the car any longer, my family's safety comes first, I have even joined the RAC!!! This is the only car I have had that has to go back to the garage so many times.

I might take the advice and talk to a solicitor later....

Andy
306 cutting out - dave18
Peugeot main dealers are seemingly useless. When I had my nearside driveshaft replaced I asked them to check the offside because I was getting a juddering at 40-50 and the gear lever would wobble about. They said the offside was fine and surprise surprise, I had to pull into a random South Wales garage when on holiday because the car was undriveable above 20mph. Could have smashed the gearbox casing apparently.
306 cutting out - percy
Surely the clue to the problem is in the original letter, 'the radio and all electrics cut out'. So David Davies' answer could be near the truth 'ignition switch or ignition relay'. It does sound like an intermittent connection or switch/relay somewhere in the 12volt line from the battery terminal, but don't overlook an intermittent earth connection either. Very few garages seem to have good electrical fitters, so I can understand why you are losing faith! If Peugeot won't change the car, perhaps they will pay for an independent auto electrician inspection. Either way good luck.
306 cutting out - opticar
Andy,

We have a client who is suffering from exactly the same intermittent problem as yourself, and neither Peugeot or the dealer can find or rectify the fault. Hopefully your problem has been fixed, and I would appreciate knowing what it was and what remedy was applied so that I can give Peugeot a steer.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
306 cutting out - Marcos{P}
My mum bought a 306 and had exactly the same problem as this.
It went back to garage so many times that my Dad lost his temper and had a look himself, Under certain conditions the wiring main electrical feed within the wiring loom would break and then make contact again.
Peugeot said this was not the fault but my Dad threatened them with legal action and in the end they changed the loom and guess what? No more problems since.

Hope this helps.

Marcos

Thanks Marcos, I'll add this to my list of suggestions to Peugeot. My QA manager is talking to Peugeot HQ about this particular problem as well and if we get any joy I'll let the forum know.

Regards,

Jim
306 cutting out - greaser pv
Yup I agree with Marcos. One of my customers had the same problem with a 306 diesel. Loose all lights etc. Dealer replaced loom, no problems since.
Hi Jim,

The main garage have not yet sorted out this problem, but it is only happening when the air/con is on during the summer months. I shall keep you posted on the outcome in the coming months.

Andy
306 cutting out - Marcos{P}
Hi Andy,

Just remembered about a similair problem my friend had that the main dealer could'nt find.
Turned out to be the connection on the battery. Simply remove the leads, clean and reassemble using vasoline.
Might be worth a try.

Best of luck

Marcos
Thanks Andy,

Our client has had the map and speed sensors replaced, and according to Peugeot this should fix the problem. I'll let you know if it does or doesn't.

Regards,

Jim