Focus 20000 mile report - The Melting Snowman
Our 2007 Focus Zetec 1.6 VCT-ti is on 20000 miles and due its second service, so as good a time as any to reflect on its time with us so far.

Still hugely impressed with its all-round competence, it just does all things well and some brilliantly. In particular I like:

The smooth, quiet and torquey 1.6 engine. Allow the revs to climb to about 3500 and the valve timing changes ? you can feel the extra surge. Great for overtaking.
Great gearchange and clutch, brilliant steering and handling. A driver?s treat. But it achieves this by still offering a good supple ride.
Comfortable seats with a good range of adjustments.
Well assembled ? no rattles or squeaks.
Quickclear screen ? great in the recent frosty weather.
Economical from 36mpg to 44mpg. Closer to 36mpg in the recent cold weather.
Completely stress free. Gives no grief, just gets on with the job.

Dislikes:
Handbrake set up for LHD ? and it needs a good yank to apply it.
Aircon automatically comes on when you put the fan on. That really irritates me.
No dimmer for dashboard lights.
Tyre noise a bit high but much better with Goodyear Excellence tyres I?ve just put on.

Reliability
Nothing at all has gone wrong.
No rattles from the trim.

I am not used to this Japanese level of reliability from a non-Japanese car. However I am worried I might lose my skills at winning an argument when I think back to some of the confrontations I have had with dealerships of ?other makes?.

I have noticed that MK2 Focuses are dropping to about £4000 on Autotrader (private ads). That represents a seriously good car for peanuts.
Focus 20000 mile report - MikeTorque
Good report, I nearly went for the 1.6 VCT-ti myself but went for the 1.6 TDCi instead. The 1.6 VCT-ti engine is really sweet throughout the rev range, it lacks the torque of the TDCi and economy which were the things that swayed it for me and the prices were the same. However, the 1.6 VCT has the edge on handling due to the nicer front end balance and less weight over the front wheels.

A few answers for you :

Dislikes:
Handbrake set up for LHD ? and it needs a good yank to apply it.
*** have the garage lube it and tighten the brake cable and bleed the brakes at it's next service, it should work sweetly if it's set up ok.

Aircon automatically comes on when you put the fan on. That really irritates me.
*** this should only occur if the air flow control is set to windscreen only, the reasoning being that air con clears misty glass faster than air flow alone. If the air con comes on automatically when the air flow control is in any other position then test by switching off the air con and the fan, then switch on the fan again, if the air con comes on there is a fault that needs sorting under the warranty.

*** dimmer switches seem to be randomly fitted to Zetec's. Mine has one but my wife's Zetec doesn't, there are plenty of similar reports around. Ask the garage to check your spec details and see if they will fit one as a warranty claim if the spec says it should be fitted.
Focus 20000 mile report - DP
Good review. Sounds like a thoroughly nice car.
*** this should only occur if the air flow control is set to windscreen only
the reasoning being that air con clears misty glass faster than air flow alone.

This is a long-standing Ford set up. My old mk2 Mondeo used to do it. My current Volvo S60 does it too, although the Volvo does let you turn it off again by just thumping the A/C button.

Does anyone actually use dashboard dimmers, by the way?

Edited by DP on 29/01/2009 at 06:23

Focus 20000 mile report - gmac
Does anyone actually use dashboard dimmers by the way?

Oh yes ! Everytime I get in our S60 after my wife has been driving I have to turn it down from retina burnout to subtle backlight.
Focus 20000 mile report - L'escargot
Handbrake set up for LHD ........

Does that mean the handbrake lever is not in the middle?

That could be an advantage. The dimmer wheel on my 03/03 2.0 petrol Focus gradually moves from bright to dim of it's own accord. It did the same on my previous 1999 similar Focus.
Tyre noise a bit high but much better with Goodyear Excellence tyres I?ve just put
on.

Based on my Mk 1 Focus experiences I'm a bit surprised that you got less than 20,000 miles out of the original tyres.

Focus 20000 mile report - krs one
The handbrake is in the centre of the car, but located nearer to the passenger seat than the driver's seat. I can say it's ever bothered me.

I used to have a 1.6 tdci and that gave 49 mpg, my new 1.8 tdci never gets more than 44 mpg, the slight improvement in performance is hardly worth the bother of higher fuel bills. Luckily I don't have to pay them.

The 1.6 had more than it's share of interior rattles, mostly from around the doors/windows, the new one is much better.
Focus 20000 mile report - Paul G1pdc
HANDBRAKE NOT CENTRAL.
my wifes volvo v40 (2000) is the same, its ofset towards the passengers side of the car,
its caused one or two funny moments when going from her volvo back to my subaru as on the impreza estate you have a hi-low ration lever next to the handbrake,
so i've grabbed the ratio lever instead of the handbrake....
got used to it now, but it happend twice...hahaha
my sister in laws got a 55 plate focus 1.6 and had the throttle (drive by wire) sensor changed once (common fault) and an electric window switch changed, and water in the rear wash wipe boot compartment sorted out, again common issues but all in all its covered 30k and she happy with it
she get mid to late 30s out of her petrol engine.
Focus 20000 mile report - daveyjp
"Does anyone actually use dashboard dimmers, by the way?"

Me - of course it depends how bright it is without a dimmer. My Audi setting on full is far to bright for me, mine is set to just above minimum.

I had a Focus I without it and was never bothered - I suppose it's one of those things if you've had it you might miss it when it's not provided.
Focus 20000 mile report - mustangman
Just thought I would add my "2 penuth"

I've had one of the first Focus II's, a jan 05 1.6 tdci now for just over 4 years.

Roomy, good handling, heated screen, engine pulls well, economy good ( 52-55 on journeys more than suburban crawling ). Reliable once initial faults fixed.

Dislikes
LHD handbrake not very powerfull, but then neither are brakes, gearshift baulky into first, quite high road noise, mine has a flat spot on a light throttle around 1800 rpm which was not fixed when in warranty. ( I live with it. ) ride firm. ( it's a Zetec on 17" wheels )

That about covers it.

Edited by mustangman on 29/01/2009 at 09:09