03 1.9 What oil do I need? - BobbyG
Here is my dilemma. Beetle's oil warning light has came on, orange not red, so according to handbook this means low oil level. A check with the dipstick seems to back this up.
My wife and Beetle are off work tomorrow but I am away from early on. Now I know that you have to be very specific about the oil that goes into these PD diesel engines and the handbook only gives the VW part number for the oil.

So, should my wife
a. Go to Halfords (its closeby) and ask them for a litre of the correct oil for the PD engine and they would know what one to use?
b. Go to a local motor factor and would they know?
c. Go a bit further afield to the nearest VAG dealer (Seat) and ask them for a litre as I assume they would definitely know as Seat's use the same engine?

Either way, car is due a service so will get a full change then, just need some top-up but I ain't going to be around to do it but I know that these engines are very specific about what oil they need.

Any thoughts much appreciated as well as a note of the "high st" spec of the oil required as opposed to VW's part number?

And lastly, I assume that 24hr Tescos or Petrol stations won't stock this kind of oil so that I could get some tonight?
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - nortones2
How low? If oil is below minimum on dipstick I wouldn't drive, anywhere, until the level is adequate. If the Beetle was on variable service, then 506.01 was the VW standard. That standard, which many oil firms make VW Approved product for, MUST appear on the oil container. If fixed intervals, then 505.01. IIRC, 507.00 covers all earlier VW diesel oil standards, so that is a back stop. You might well be able to get a litre of suitable oil from Tesco/filling station. If drivable, then Seat should have the correct oil, but trust no-one without checking! The last two digits are important. 505.00 is not suitable, nor 506.00. Different products, different application. The handbook/under-bonnet sticker should clarify.
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - mfarrow
Halfords do these VW-spec oil these days. Just do a search for the number on their website and a grey container should pop up.
Cheers guys, going to check the local Shell station, then Tesco and if they have it, then I will put in and that gives me peace of mind till she gets to the local factors / Halfords / Seat dealer.
Thanks for info re exact numbers I need to look for.
Well after a drive via Shell, Jet, Tesco I finally found 505.01 oil at BP, £18 a litre!! Ouch!
All places had oil that said it met VW approved 505.00 but not 505.01?

Now I thought most of VAG diesels were of the same lump and therefore would have taken the same oil but obviously not!!

Oil level now fine on the dipstick, will book in for a service this week and keep my eye on it meantime.

PS As we bought the car "used", is there any way of telling if the car is on variable servicing? Or is it a job for VAG-COM?
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - nortones2
505.01 was brought in to meet the additional needs of the PD unit injectors. Big step forward in technology, but with some drawbacks:) I'd be inclined to change oil annually rather than extend the change interval further, but the manual should guide, or failing that the VW website. See how your usage compares with VAG recommendations.
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - quizman
£18 per litre for 505.01 oil is daylight robbery.

The correct spec oil is now 507.00, this supercedes all previous specs. I was in a local VW dealer and a man before me bought a litre of Quantum 507.00 for about £8.
My grandson bought some Shell 507.00 oil from a garage for his Golf diesel.
I have just bought 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 (507.00) for £36 from Opie oils, I always use this oil for my Passat and Golf. I like Castrol oils, I have used them since the Rolling Stones first started rocking.
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - Lygonos
Costco were selling 5w-30 Edge for just under £12 for 3 litres a few months ago - haven't seen it since - I hope it wasn't just a short term promotion as I prefer it to the Mobil 1 0W-40 they sell for £23/4 litres...
The Mobil1 0W-40 is not up to VW spec 507.00. You need the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30, which is 507.00.
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - maltrap
Does my 1.6 petrol 03 Reg golf have to have this 507 spec'
The Castrol Edge 5W-30 is 504.00 and 507.00.
The 507.00 is for VW diesel cars and the 504.00 is for petrol VW cars.
The Castrol website recommends Edge 5W-30 for Mk4 Golfs, but I have a suspicion that you can use a cheaper oil for petrol Golfs, but I am not 100% sure of this.
03 1.9 What oil do I need? - alanwc
Wow £18 a litre thats a lot. I work for gsf if you got one our stores near by you should pop in and compare prices. Think ours would have been lot cheaper.