Hit dog in road - advice needed - stjarna
I'm sure I've read about this before either on this forum or on HJ's Telegraph column but couldn't find anything - sorry!

Last night I unfortunately hit a dog that ran into the road. The dog was fairly badly injured, but fortunately the owner turned up shortly afterwards (the dog had slipped its collar earlier, and he had been looking for it for some time). He didn't blame me even slightly for the incident thankfully, and took the dog to a vet's. I have the dog owner's name and phone number but not address (he was understandably in a hurry).

The accident has been reported to the police (I called them before the owner turned up) and I've been told I don't need to attend a police station.

There's some significant damage to my front bumper and I'm going to need to get it replaced (it's a 04 reg Ford Focus with integrated fog lights in the bumper, so not a massively cheap job I'm guessing). The car seems completely driveable.

I'm sure I remember reading that in these cases the dog's owner is liable for this kind of damage (via their home or pet insurance obviously). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone recommend whether I should either go via my insurance company and let them sort everything out, via a main dealer's 'Accident Assist' scheme, letting them sort out dealing with insurance, or by dealing directly with the dog's owner?

Any advice gratefully received!

Edited by stjarna on 25/01/2009 at 11:01

Hit dog in road - advice needed - woodster
Start directly with the dog owner and notify your insurer at the same time. Similar thread on here at the moment but send your claim to the dog owner, if they don't play ball claim on your own insurance (assuming fully comp.) You'd lose your no claims until your insurer had claimed successfully from the owner. If you wanted to leave your insurer out of it, pursue the dog owner through small claims court.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - Roger Jones
Check your insurance policy notes and conditions. You are probably obliged to tell about the incident in any event, even if you don't wish to pursue the matter through them..
Hit dog in road - advice needed - wrangler_rover
My son was driving my car, a 2 year old Punto a few years ago when he hit a dog that was running loose from a nearby travellers site. My son stopped, the dog got up and ran off, the guy at the house opposite advised my son against going onto the site to tell anybody and advised him to drive off. Result, a cracked bumper with no chance of claiming for exept for risking no claims bonus.

In your case, I would hope to claim against the dog owner.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - Dynamic Dave
Was it my question you were thinking of?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=26...2

There was also this one as well.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49711

Hit dog in road - advice needed - MikeTorque
The dog owner is probably in shock as it is and the last thing they need right now is more stress, their dogs life could be in the balance. Similarly you will be in shock as well and have a damaged car which can be fixed albeit at your inconvenience.

Having said that the dog owner may not have pet insurance, lots of people don't, so any claim against them would be a personal claim were one to be made. If they do have pet insurance then Third party liability (dogs only) cover is usually included in the policy and they could claim on their policy for the incident in question assuming they accepted liability of course. Alternatively you could claim on your own insurance or pay yourself to save the dog owner further stress.

It's worth considering phoning the dog owner to see how the dog is doing and how the owner is coping. If the dog has died or is seriously injured then I'd suggest you send your condolences and leave it at that, the owner will need time to grieve and so will you, the money issue is secondary.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - stjarna
I've been thinking a lot about this. I got an estimate for getting the repair done today and I'm going to swallow the cost even though I technically could claim. The cost is less than my excess (I have quite a large volountary excess).

I called my insurance company and they aren't interested in the accident as there's no possibility of a claim against me.

I'll probably give the dog owner a call but I'm going to leave it a few days.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hit dog in road - advice needed - Pugugly
I think that that's a very moral and old-fashioned view - to be applauded.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - Jonathan {p}
I think that that's a very moral and old-fashioned view - to be applauded.

Absolutely.
Until the OP gets a letter from the dog's owner's pet insurance company demanding compensation......
Hit dog in road - advice needed - FocusDriver
When this was posted yesterday, I wrote a paragraph suggesting that you grit your teeth and swallow the cost. But I thought it inappropriate and a little soppy so didn't post it.

As a pet owner I know how upset I'd be if you were to claim against me if my pet had died since. Not that I'd curse you though; you're out of pocket through no fault of your own. I'd curse humanity for being so cruel!

Anyway, I hope you manage to resolve this as you see fit. Agree it'd be really nice to ask how the dog is doing (prepare for "dead"). It is a big shame however that you've been left with a bill for hundreds of quid.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - Altea Ego
TBH, there is some justification for making pet (read dog) insurance mandatory. If you cant afford the consequences of pet ownership or the monthly insurance premium you cant afford one.

(he says having claimed 900 quids in vet bills to save fifis life last year. I cant imagine the the grief in having to let your dog die because you cant afford to save it)

I ran over a dog- many many many years ago. It lost its leg, but lived to an active ripe old age on three, and I used to visit it every year with some treats, whereby it used to try and savage me every year. The owner claimed this hatred of me was keeping the thing alive.
Hit dog in road - advice needed - FocusDriver
AE very good!

I agree about pet insurance. I have a soppy moggy and pay £13 a month for him, fully comprehensive. Even he could end up costing a motorist hundreds of pounds if he wandered into the road. My insurance is so good that if this should happen, I'll get £2000 for immediate payment. You could call it a conflict of interests though!
Hit dog in road - advice needed - Pugugly
whereby it used to try and savage me every year

Fair Do's and respect to you and the dog !

I would fel responsible in most scenarios - Mrs P's usual binary view of the world is softened by our new Cocker - she challenged me only yesterday for daring to think of buying cheap food for him.