94 1.1 won't start after cambelt change. - helpmestartit
Recently the crankshaft pulley on my Punto 55 failed due to the key shearing off so I replaced the cp and thought I may as well put a new cambelt on. Now it will not start even though it appears that the timing is set correctly. Engine turns over for a bit then seems to stick then turns over a bit then sticks again.Can anyone advise where I am going wrong.

Edited by Pugugly on 23/01/2009 at 21:35

My Punto won't start - injection doc
take a step back, you need to check the pyhiscal position of the crankshaft using the timing mark the clutch end ( line the 0 up with the pointer ) & checking position of the piston ( should be at top ) of no 1 cyl. Then check the position of the two cam lobes of no 1 cylinder. Both valves should be fully shut & the lobes will make a matched v shape both roughly equal disitances away from iether side of the cylnder head. Do not remove belt to turn compnents over seperatley. If the above doesn't match what you have somethings wrong.

Is the crankshaft pulley in the correct position, I think you could accidently put it on one of four ways? is there a crank sensor running off the crank shaft pulley?
My Punto won't start - helpmestartit
Yep there is a sensor for TDC on the pulley and I am not sure that it is aligned properly. How do you know if it is positioned correctly on the crankshaft pulley?
Model is on an M plate 1994 and is the 1108 engine.
My Punto won't start - injection doc
when the pulley failed did it damage the crank sensor? Is the pulley on in the correct position? it could be the crank pulley is on the wrong position whcih throws the timimg out!
No it didn't damage the sensor. I do think the pulley has something to do with it as it has a gap in the marks on the side of it but can't suss which is the correct way to put it back on. Obviously the gap in the teeth is what the sensor picks up when it reaches TDC but it can fit on a number of ways.
Do you know how you determine if it is aligned correctly?
The Haynes manual only tells you to bolt it back on with the 3 bolts and doesn't explain how critical it is to get it back on in the correct position or it won't start.
Will be having another go to set it up over the weekend.
My Punto won't start - Another John H
There should be a little "pip" between two of the bolt holes on the end of the crank which is meant to locate in an indent or hole in the pulley.

IME the pulley doesn't sit properly if you are 120 degrees out, but if you are enthusiastic enough with the spanner... ?
Thanks chaps got it started yesterday. Who needs Haynes manuals ?