1998 1.6 cambelt slipped off ! - barnus
i have had an absolute nightmare, i'm away on a course in london and my camelt has come off, the recovery man tells me my engine is destroyed. i had a new cambelt put in 6 months ago and since then the same garage has removed my water pump for various cooling problems last time was at the end of november november. the recovery man said that the tensioner was not adjusted properly that is why it came off so the garage is liable for the damages. my question is, should the garage be held responsable for it and replace the engine? at the time when it happened i had just got off the motorway filled the tank at the petrol station and pull out. i'm so thankful it didnt happen 20mins earlier when i was on the motorway, cause the steering went stiff and couldnt turn the wheel. if i had been on the motorway i could have caused a massive accident, my lucky day as well as unlucky. below are the recent activities

july: mot, service cambelt change

september: new thermosat, new rad and drive belts (w.pump removed and checked)

november: new water pump

thank you for taking the time to read this

shouting in subject line changed

Edited by Pugugly on 19/01/2009 at 23:00

1998 1.6 cambelt slipped off ! - yorkiebar
Not easy to answer this 1 !

How many miles since work done?

Why was water pump changed and not done at same time as cambelt?

Any warning signs of problems before final failure?

How does recovery man decide it was failure of tensioner? How does he mean not adjusted properly if it lasted 2 months or more (depending on mileage covered)

More info might throw more help and advice here.

Have you discussed it with repairing garage for their comments?

Bottom line is though that I am glad you are safe and well. The car is a repairable lump of metal !
1998 1.6 cambelt slipped off ! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
AI would have thought a new belt should have been fitted when the pump was changed regardless of the mileage. Belts should not be re-used.
AI would have thought a new belt should have been fitted when the pump was
changed regardless of the mileage. Belts should not be re-used.

thanks for getting back to me as well, i had a new cambelt in august not july i got that wrong, you say it should have been changed with the water pump regardless of mileage, so does that mean that i am at fault then? i just want to know before i call them, i dont know a huge amount about cars but i have a good grasp of how they work and that is why i thought it was strange that it just popped off could it be that the tensioner wasnt tightened to the correct torque and over a month it loosened and came undone, i'm sorry if i sound think
thanks for getting back to me, your right the car is just a lump of metal and i am so grateful to be here today, sounds over the top but it was quite scary.

anyway i will give you that info:

i have done aprox 500 miles since the work

the pump was change cause the coolant was leaking out of it whenever it was filled

the only warning sign i got was about a slight rattling noise as about 15 miles before it happened, when the revs were below 2000rpm

the recovery man saw the cambelt was off and i explained the noise and that was his diagnosis

i havent yet called the garage as i dont want to point the blame if it isnt their fault,

i am currently waiting for my dad to phone to let me know if i had the cambelt changed again when the pump was changed, but i do know that i had a new one put on in august (not july) and i'm pretty sure i had the tensioner replaced at the same time but once again i need to make 100% sure. the only thing i can think might have happen is that the tensioner wasn't set correctly or was faulty hopefully it was a faulty one that way the garage can claim back off the manufacturer, the guys at this garage are really friendly and helpful, i even gave them chocolates and a card at christmas to say thank you for all the work they have done so i feel bad at the moment that i might have to take it back.

thanks again
1998 1.6 cambelt slipped off ! - yorkiebar
Ok,

Did the garage suggest you change waterpump at same time as belt originally?

Did they fit belt and tensioners or just belt? Did they offer you a choice?

Surprised the recovery man could make an exact diagnosis so easily. It may well be correct; but to my mind it is not definite yet without proper inspection. it could even be water pump fault from your description.

If garage offered full kit and pump and you chose not to, and then had further work done, and it is the tensioner fault, then it becomes a very grey area to identify who is responsible.

Although the comment about re using belt when changing water pump is good advice, it is not essential, especially on a car of this age.

I think you have to ask your garage to look at it and see what they comment. If it is a faulty component they will be able to claim for their repairs. If its faulty workmanship, then there could be problems if you have avoided replacing parts that they suggested you should have done (water pump at time of original fitting of belt and/or just belt and not new tensioners) and it will depend on their attitude, and possibly yours.

But keep us informed stage by stage?
hi again

my dad checked the reciepts and i didnt have a new tensioner put on at the same time as the cambelt nor did they recomend one, the cambelt was changed at 110377miles. the waterpump was put in at 116067, they did ask me if i wanted to have my cambelt changed but when i told them it was done on the last service they said that was fine. the car now reads 117218miles

i looked inside the cambelt casing, i can't see any damage to the tensioner it seems to be attached, however the cambelt was half on and half of the top gear sort of on the rim of it and still looked very slack.

my dad is going in there first thing tomorrow to have word with the manager and tell him whats going on as i think he'll explain it better, its going to be towed back friday to them. i will let you know what they say

thanks for all your advice and comments

Edited by barnus on 21/01/2009 at 21:58