6' 5" too tall for a BMW? - notmyname
I have been looking at 03/05 BMW 3 & 5, I have also sat in passats of the same age and I feel like the rear view mirror is right in my eyeline (even with seat lowered etc) when I look forward I am looking at the sun visor.

Is this a problem any one else has experienced? I am worrying about nothing?

Consequently I am looking at a lexus rx instead, any other suggetsion (budget 5-7k)

I current drive an 02 polo

thanks!

Edited by rtj70 on 21/01/2009 at 00:54

6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Bill Payer
Colleague of mine is 6'7" and he drives a 53 plate 5 Series. His main problem is very long upper legs - in a lot of cars the seat just doesn't go back far enough.
6 - oldnotbold
My Dad knew a guy that tall who drove an old pre-war Austin Seven. From the back seat.

Edited by oldnotbold on 19/01/2009 at 16:33

6'5 - Manatee
I had a school friend who was 6'7" or so - drove a Fiat 500 with the front seat removed and a home made one set on the floor against the back seat.

I'm surprised you're having trouble with a BMW - I'm average height myself but one of the reasons I can't get on with BMWs is that I feel as if I'm sitting on the floor.

Edited by Manatee on 19/01/2009 at 19:15

6'5 - Alanovich
I had a school friend who was 6'7" or so - drove a Fiat 500
with the front seat removed and a home made one set on the floor against
the back seat.

Wasn't called Rich was he? University of Sussex?
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Chips with everything
I'm 6'4" and drive a 2003 530d without any issues.

Prior to that I had a 1996 328 and that was fine too.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Chips with everything
One thing I meant to add - but was too slow using the edit function....

If you have the seat a little too high (but are still comfortable), you may not be able to see the top of the speedo.

My 530d is a Sport model and I have this issue - I didn't on the 328 though (or a 530se that I've driven) as they had slimmer steering wheels.

Just a thought.
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Bromptonaut
All depends how you're proportioned. Sister of SWMBO and their uncle, sitting, were much the same height. He then stood up to be a good 10inches taller - all in the leg.
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Oilyman
At six inches tall I suspect that unless it's a model you'd be much to short not too tall.
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - tawse
There is a site called Tallclub dot co dot uk who have personal reviews of numerous makes and models of cars by tall people.

It also has a link to a website run by an osteopath who points out all the health issues with cars and tall people - both well worth a look. Just go to the Product Reviews link on the above site.

In fact, the osteopath website has really usual info for people of all heights when choosing a car. I have touched on some of the things to look out for in the past on here but the site gives the same and more.

6"5 to tall for a BMW? - Alby Back
I'm only 6' tall but in my younger days I coveted a FIAT X19. I finally tracked down a black one which met my financial criteria. Fab condition, clearly cosseted. Major disappointment when I simply couldn't fit in it. I would have had to cut a groove in the top of both my legs which seemed inconvenient. I guess I could have fitted a smaller steering wheel but had lost interest by the time that thought occured. Bought a Golf GTi instead which was a good move. No surgery required.

Probably a lucky escape on reflection.
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - v8man
I'm 6'4" and my last car was a Passat. Massive inside and the seat will actually go back too far. My current Jetta is also huge. No problems and I'm long in the body.
6 - telecaster
Ed China of wheeler dealers fame tested a beemer 5 series on one episode.....no complaints from him and he is 6"7!

Edited by telecaster on 21/01/2009 at 00:32

6"5 to tall for a BMW? - motorprop
should be : ' 6'5" too tall for a BMW ? ' - Those moderators asleep ?
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - telecaster
Shame on you Notmyname............you left out an "o".....
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - motorprop
you sleeping too telecaster - and the rest !!
6"5 to tall for a BMW? - telecaster
Tongue was firmly planted in my cheek....
6' 5" too tall for a BMW? - rtj70
Not yet... but will edit the top level post now. But not all 16 replies!

He is short to be driving.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/01/2009 at 00:55

6' 5" too tall for a BMW? - Brian Tryzers
Time to raise a favourite 5 niggle that may be a problem for the OP if his eyes are high enough for the mirror and visor to get in the way. Assuming he's looking at an RHD 5, the wipers will be pointing the wrong way, leaving the corner in front of the driver's eyes unswept. I've travelled in LHD 5s on trips to the continent (in the rain too) and been hugely impressed by the space, pace and refinement. If I lived in Belgium or Germany, I'd seriously consider one; in the UK, it's a non-starter.

On the other hand (and at the risk of appearing to contradict myself) there's no substitute for driving the thing and seeing if it works in practice. When I was considering the Volvo S60 I have now, I fretted hard about the green tinted band across the top of the screen, and even asked questions about how I might get the screen replaced with a plain one. Once I had the car, though, I found I seldom even noticed it - only when driving into a big dip and looking ahead at the road climbing out - and after six years and almost 90,000 miles, it's still there and doesn't bother me.
6' 5" too tall for a BMW? - Chips with everything
"...the wipers will be pointing the wrong way, leaving the corner in front of the driver's eyes unswept..."

I thought this too prior to my purchase, but the wipers (for want of a better expression) use an extending arm mechanism. This significantly reduces the unswept area and I've never found it to be an issue.