Favourite motoring TV show? - Hector Brocklebank
What would you recommend as your favourite car-related television show? Try and think beyond Top Gear as it's really more of an entertainment show but if it really is your favourite, by all means cast your vote!

I think the Used Car Roadshow was pretty good before they copied the TG-style studio & audience set-up. I've seen a few good programmes featuring Mike Brewer but these seem only to be shown on sky, along with Auto Mundial et al.

As I said, try look beyond TG and for that matter Fifth Gear as it has basically become a clone, although I am under the impression that both have improved (slightly) recently. In any case, I'd still rather watch Road Wars!
Favourite motoring TV show? - martint123
Simple as it was, I enjoyed the recent, new series of Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer and Ed China.
Favourite motoring TV show? - Pugugly
Me too. Got my vote. That Garage thing on Discovery was pleasant enough to pass a Sunday evening.
Favourite motoring TV show? - gtijohn
PINKS! its great. top cars and great racing. watching them argue over lengths is quality. It takes something to spend all that time and money on a car then risk it all on the track. Big respect.

Edited to remove references which were "rude", Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 19/01/2009 at 00:09

Favourite motoring TV show? - Dynamic Dave
Enjoy most of the progs on Sky.

The Mark Evans 'Is Born' series.
American Hotrod.
Wheeler Dealers.
Wrecks to Riches.
The Garage.

Shame they have to keep repeating them over and over again. Getting to the stage now where I can almost narrate what they're going to say next.
Favourite motoring TV show? - rip
I always like deals on wheels (with mike brewer) as it was down to earth, low budget yet realistic. Ive Not seen one for a while but is always funny to see them now, e.g. a 15 year old caviler sells for 3k, toady the seller would let you take it away- still shows how old the shows are.

Wheeler dealers is good, albeit a tad unrealistic, as at the end of the show they ALWAYS have a fantastic vehicle, are there never any more problems as the show progresses, or do they just tell ignore the loss they make and tell us about their profit.
Favourite motoring TV show? - Westpig
TG is well and truly first, plus i can share that with 'er indoors. 5G is still well second best, but i'm still drawn, as you can always fast forward when it gets boring.

I do like Overhaulin, but am selective as to which vehicles they 'do' as i'm not really into the Hotrod type stuff.

I used to watch the American cop type ones, but don't any more. I do tend to watch most of the British stuff involving cars.
Favourite motoring TV show? - Ian (Cape Town)
Overhaulin is great up until the last 5 minutes, when the 'mark' generally gets all sloppy and emotional, and says "Oh my God!" a million times...

I also enjoy Bernie and Leepu swearing at each other, Mike Brewer and Ed China, some episodes of American Chopper (the more technically inspired ones, as opposed to family drama) and the megafactories shows, where they show how various planes, cars etc are made.

I beleive there is a DVD about (apparently a BBC 'staff' perk) of all the Top Gear outtakes, with some choice language, fights, arguments, and very poor driving from the guys. Anybody heard of it?
Favourite motoring TV show? - grumpyscot
How come when Mike Brewer tots up the costs of refurbishing a car, he never includes the cost of Ed China's time? Or, indeed, his own time going out to scrap yards to find / fetch replacement parts?

Favourite motoring TV show? - El Hacko
like Wheeler Dealers; TG is a family comedy show (entertaining tho'); but cringe at Jason Dawe (doesn't he look/sound like a dealer!) and Penny M patronising punters in whatever their show's called
Favourite motoring TV show? - Big Bad Dave
"Wheeler dealers is good, albeit a tad unrealistic, as at the end of the show they ALWAYS have a fantastic vehicle"

There's one where Ed tries to fit a new wing to some car, can't remember which one though. Anyway he makes a total pig's ear of it, it doesn't fit properly and he can't match the paint up.

It's my favourite show, I thought the Bentley was fantastic. Some of the last series I filed straight to DVD without watching them - I'm waiting till I get the big flat screen. Sad eh?
Favourite motoring TV show? - b308
I like Wheeler Dealers as well, followed by any of the ones on classics... The Garage became a little repetitive and I gave up on it...

Not sure about WD being unrealistic, though, Ed's a professional so whilst I'd expect the odd mistake to be shown I'd still expect a fantastic vehicle at the end... makes me jealous! It would be interesting to know just how many hours he spent on each vehicle though!

What they did with that old Mini in the first series was amazing, made me wish I'd kept the virtually identical one I had back in '75 then they could have made a purse out of that sow's ear as well!!
Favourite motoring TV show? - Dynamic Dave
There's one where Ed tries to fit a new wing to some car can't remember which one though.

A Ford Capri, I believe. He eventually managed to get the wing to fit after a lot of fettling. I think part of the exercise was to show how carp pattern panels can be. But yes, the paint job was rubbish, blamed on it being too hot in his workshop. My opinion was that trying to paint a whole panel with an aerosol can and expecting great results was never going to successful.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/01/2009 at 10:23

Favourite motoring TV show? - bhoy wonder
1. Top Gear as SWMBO will watch it as well.
2. Wheeler Dealer. Great what they do with these cars.
3. Garage. Like the patter. Although it is being repeated to much.
Favourite motoring TV show? - Big Bad Dave
" I think part of the exercise was to show how carp pattern panels can be."

You're right Dave, it was a pattern parts issue wasn't it. The aerosol can was just a cost-cutting exercise too far.
Favourite motoring TV show? - Snakey
A Car is Born and TG. Both entertaining and with good presenters