Replacing a single tyre - doctorchris
One tyre on our Honda Jazz has a nail in it which is very close to the edge of the tread, therefore the tyre fitter may not be able to repair it.
The tyres all still have 5mm of tread (I swap them round, so fronts and rears are equally worn).
As the car does a low mileage I plan to just replace the punctured tyre with one of the same make.
Would others on the forum do this?

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2009 at 11:40

Replacing a single tyre - Pugugly
Has it got a proper spare ? If so put the new spare on with the replacement and keep the part worn as a spare - easier suggested than done these days what with alloys and space savers.
Replacing a Single Tyre - Stuartli
You could use a new one in conjunction with the spare (if it hasn't been used) and put them on the rear - one of the present tyres could then be used as the spare.

It would also save having to buy four new tyres at once in the future.
Replacing a Single Tyre - doctorchris
Space saver spare only, I'm afraid.
Replacing a Single Tyre - captain chaos
Don't you just hate it when that happens? Pity you can't fit an inner tube...
Replacing a Single Tyre - gordonbennet
The tyre may well be repairable by a proper tyre repair workshop, but depending on how much your tyres are to buy Doc it may not make economic sense, plus i don't have a clue where you'll go in your part of the world, i've not been in the tyre game for a lifetime.

Replacing a Single Tyre - Chris S
I'd just replace the one tyre - the tiny difference in grip won't have any noticeable effect unless you drive like a lunatic.

Anyway, your car has ABS.
Replacing a Single Tyre - none
Should be ok replacing just one tyre, I do it all the time on the 100 + fleet I work on. Not one single problem after 8yrs and thousands of tyres, but aesthetics dictate that new tyres should always be fitted on the same axle in pairs. (Manufacturers recommendations prevail)
Most tyre outfits can arrange a major repair, but it might take a while as they usually wait until they have enough tyres to make it worthwhile for the repairer to collect them.
Our repairs usually cost between 12 - 15 quid with no charge for a reject. They even repair cosmetic tread damage when it's associated with the puncture, and in most cases the repair is invisible.
Replacing a Single Tyre - Mookfish
You could use a new one in conjunction with the spare (if it hasn't been
used) and put them on the rear - one of the present tyres could then
be used as the spare.

If space allows I would be inclinded to get a full size spare from a scrap yard and do this, this is what my stepdad has done in the past, just causes a slight bulge in the boot carpet though.
Replacing a Single Tyre - perleman
I wouldn't bother changing pairs on a car like this. It's only be worth doing on high performance cars
Replacing a Single Tyre - Simon
If its got 5mm of tread and the puncture is still within the tread blocks then it can be repaired by a normal tyre fitter. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise (and sell you a new tyre) will keep your old one to one side, repair it when you have gone and sell it on to someone else for a knockdown price.
Replacing a Single Tyre - retgwte
just get a new one from black circles dot com

wouldnt risk my own neck with a repair

Thanks for all your helpful comments.
I'll get down to the local tyre fitter, who I trust, first thing tomorrow and get things sorted out one way or another.
Replacing a Single Tyre - FotheringtonThomas
Perhaps you'll report back...
Tyre repaired there and then this morning for the entirely reasonable cost of £7.50.
Replacing a Single Tyre - Andrew-T
Tell us where puncture repairs still cost £7.50. KwitFit's price seems to be £17.40 and ATS's £19.99 (though I did get a 'special' for £10 cash just before Christmas).

Maybe they did without the new valve and rebalance?

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/01/2009 at 17:18

Replacing a Single Tyre - steve_earwig
Crisis averted then, looks like you got lucky. I'd still put it on the back, just in case.

No-one mentioned part-worn tyres, are they illegal now (sorry, I'm a bit out of touch).
The tyre fitter used the old trick of leaving the balance weights on and marking the tyre adjacent to the valve so that it can be replaced in the same spot. Yes, the old valve was also retained.
OK, some would view this as unsatisfactory but I find it acceptable.
Replacing a Single Tyre - quizman
Andrew, they mend the puncture, rebalance it, fit it back on your car and pocket the £10.
Simple capitalism.
Replacing a Single Tyre - Mike H
You could replace the pair, and keep the good one in case the same thing happens again to avoid buying a pair the next time.

But I tend to agree with most of the others, replacing one tyre should be ok IMHO, as the other one is still in the early stages of its life.