1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - Surrey_Scientist

Re my previous post about the rear washer not working......

If I have a rear wiper/washer fitted does it need to be working to pass the MOT (due soon-ish) ??

The Front wiper/washer work

The rear wiper works

The rear washer doesn't (fills rear footwell with fluid)

I know some cars (even some hatchbacks) don't actually have a wiper on the rear. I am just wondering if its there does it have to work to pass ???

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/01/2009 at 18:05

1994 1.6 Rear washer - MOT falure if not working ? - mfarrow
If I have a rear wiper/washer fitted does it need to be working to pass
the MOT (due soon-ish) ??

No it doesn't. The rear wiper, and rear washer, are not testable items.
1994 1.6 Rear washer - MOT falure if not working ? - Simon
No, the rear wiper/washer is not part of the MOT test, so it shouldn't be failed upon it.
1994 1.6 Rear washer - MOT falure if not working ? - Dynamic Dave
The only way it will fail is if someone has ripped the arm assembly off and left something sharp in which a pedestrian can cut themselves on.
94 1.6 Washer Pipe Routing - Surrey_Scientist

I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate any info on this (Seeing as no-one has replied to my 1st post about the rear washer not working)

Haynes manual has nothing on this.

Rear washer pipe has split somewhere inside the car.

If I fill the reservoir in the engine bay so I can use just the front wshers (essential in this weather) then the reservoir just siphons into the car interior and I am awash on the drivers side footwells both front & rear with washer fluid.

Does ANYONE know where the pipe is routed through the car ? Seems to disappear under the front of the inner wing in the engine bay (between inner and outer wing)

How much of the interior am I going to have to strip to find the pipe ??

Does it go down the floor or over the headlining ? (headlining is completely dry)

So at the moment I am faced with having to drive round with the reservoir empty, until I can sort this pipe, so if I go thru a muddy puddle I am gonna be blind !
1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - injection doc
Trace the pipe from the tail gate end. Normal is to run in the roof but start to trace it back. The pipe may also be laying in a sill.I asume because the resovoir drains out the pipe must be running in the sill or right along the door steps & rises up in a rear quarter panel. I used to trace by connecting a small amout of low pressure air to the pipe & using an ultrasonic sound tracing device to trace the leak. I a quiet enviroment you may be able to use a pipe attached to your ear as a stethoscope.
If you lift the carpet n/s/f & the step trim you may find the pipe. If you do use air go very carefull as the pipe may have a joiner in it & it could seperate it at this point.
1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - Simon
>>I would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate any info on this (Seeing as no-one has
>>replied to my 1st post about the rear washer not working)

If you read your own first post back in this thread then you will see that the only question you asked was whether it would fail the MOT. That question was answered by three different people.

As for the pipe that runs the length of the car to the rear washer jet, then tracing where it goes is the only way to find the point where it is leaking. If you want a temporary fix then just take the pipe off the washer bottle and blank the pump off somehow.
1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - mfarrow
the only question you asked was whether it would fail the MOT.

There's a separate thread on the issue www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?m=817563...e
1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - Simon
Its a shame it was never linked to this thread then.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2009 at 19:34

1994 1.6 Rear washer- MOT failure if not working ? - Pugugly
Well criticism accepted Simon !

The OP has started three separate posts on the same problem - we tend to link these when this happens - In fact there is a join in the middle of this one. An object lesson in why posters, if posting about a problem, stick them all in one thread and not start random posts all over the shop. End of rant.

Edit: Surrey Scientist - not really a dig at you.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2009 at 19:51